Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Greece Experts please comment and advise (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/greece-experts-please-comment-and-advise-828071/)

carrom Feb 24th, 2010 09:52 AM

Greece Experts please comment and advise

I have got quite far in planning our mid June holiday thanks to this forum. Now I would appreciate any comments and further tips.
We are a couple in our 40’s/ 50’s , quite active, we like alternating “boutique” accommodation with a more rustic down to earth style. Hate crowds except for the odd night out. Love good food and wine.
Depart Rome 16th June one night in Athens – thinking of Fresh Hotel as it is central and with pool. Anyone stayed there?
17th June Need to get to Paros (Ferry, plane? ) where we pick up our sail boat. Plan to head off straight to Naxos and in one week we hope to sail around Iraklia, Sckinoussa – Koufonissi and maybe Ios. Any suggestions for great walks/meals/beaches on any of these?
Back to Paros on 24th. One night in Paros. Any suggestions? Naoussa?
On 25th we take a ferry to Santorini where we are booked for 3 nights at Espera Houses.
28th ferry to Mykonos 2 nights at Grace Hotel.
30th fly to Athens – arrive 6 hours before ongoing flight to Rome. Do we have time to do anything between flights?
Thank-you and thanks especially for the Aegean airline special offer tip - I think I got the last two seats Athens-Rome!

brotherleelove2004 Feb 24th, 2010 10:00 AM

The Athens>Paros ferry takes about 4 hours, a flight takes less than one. As soon as Olympic Air and Aegean Airlines hash out the terms of their impending merger flight schedules will be released. Expect that within the nex few weeks.

If you only have one night on Paros at the end of your sail stay in Parikia so you can enjoy what there is to see and do there.

You'll love Esperas, it's one of the best in Oia in that price range.

You don't have enough time to leave the airport but you can go across the street to the Sofitel Hotel to relax and have a nice meal or drinks before your departure.

yiassas Feb 24th, 2010 10:20 AM

I agree with brotherleelove, worth looking at a flight to Paros.
Fresh Hotel: Supposed to be very nice (I stayed there prior to major overhaul & name change), but not the best area to stay in. If it is only a place to slepp & use the pool, then fine, but if you want to take a wander in the evening, go out to eat, shop, drink, then I would definitely recommend staying nearer to, or in, Plaka.
Take a look on here, in the Plaka & Koukaki areas in particular, I have already ticked the $100-200 range & put your date in.
http://www.eurocheapo.com/search/?pa...earchid=675676
See what you think & ask again about any specifically.

yiassas Feb 24th, 2010 10:22 AM

Whoops! Could even be a place to sleep!

carrom Feb 24th, 2010 01:27 PM

Thank-you. I will definitely keep a look out for flights.
As for the Fresh Hotel, Yiassas, I thought it was quite central and liked the idea of being close to the big market. And the pool and bar seemed nice! However, we are only in Athens for one day and we do want to make the most of it. On your web site I saw we could get a Superior double with Acropolis View at the Magna Grecia Boutique Hotel for about the same price. Do you think this would make our life much easier? We definitely want to walk around and see how much Athens has changed since our last visit (1984!).

citychicnyc Feb 24th, 2010 02:45 PM

i stayed at fresh hotel in may 2009 and i would NOT stay there again if i were to go back to athens. the area was downright scary at times and there were prostitutes on the same block as the hotel.

one evening my bf and i were had plans to go to a restaurant that was supposed to be closeby, but after 10 minutes of walking, we just wanted to go back to the hotel. the worst part is that the food at fresh hotel sucks. we are from new york and did not feel safe in that neighborhood, which says a lot. i highly suggest that you choose a hotel in plaka.

parosblue Feb 24th, 2010 06:28 PM

Hi Carrom, I have stayed at Magna Grecia and enjoyed it very much. It is a boutique hotel in an old quaint building. They do not have a pool, but lots of charm if you like the arty independent hotel. We had a spacious and comfortable room with windows opening to the Acropolis view. It is a wonderful location right in Cathedral Square between Monastraiki and Syntagma Squares.
Your one night in Paros: Your description makes me think you would love Naoussa, but you are very limited for time. Thus as brotherleelove suggested, you would do better to stay in Parakia and enjoy the harbor walkway, the paraleia, the old marketplace, tavernas. We could suggest a few places to stay or dine. Fine dining at Levantis in the old market, or there are several good tavernas right on the waterfront. Wander through the marketplace or find the stairs from the waterfront to get to Pebbles - a great bar to enjoy a cocktail as the sun sets. Let us know what type of place or price range for a hotel if you want suggestions. The nicest hotels are out of the town a little but there are many perfectly nice rooms in town especially if you are not needing the pool.

yiassas Feb 24th, 2010 11:31 PM

carrom, the Fresh hotel is central as far as the city is concerned, but not so close to the sights as Magna Grecia. The area is not unsafe, just not so pleasant, it's the area for prostitutes & drugs. Not so bad during the day, but can feel scary at night, & as you will only have the one evening it probably wouln't leave the best impression of how Athens has changed for you!
Magna Grecia is in a great location, a few minutes walk to Syntagma Square & Plaka.
Although I live in Greece & visit Athens about 8 times a year I haven't actually stayed at Magna Grecia, it's out of my price range, but I have stayed very close many times!

carrom Feb 25th, 2010 04:11 AM

Thanks everyone for useful advice. We will drop Fresh and go for Magna Grecia or something close by.
Parosblue, couldn't we just take a taxi to Naoussa? It can't be much more than 10km, can it? Although the menu at Levantis looks scrumptious and after a week on the boat we could spoil ourselves!
Accommodation wise in Paros I think we would be happy with something simple, not necessarily with a pool but characteristc and charming in good location where we can walk to dinner. No A/c necessary!
We are planning on renting scooters in Mykonos and Santorini could do in Paros too.

brotherleelove2004 Feb 25th, 2010 07:22 AM

Check the Hotel Paros and Alexandra's Rooms. They're next door to each other and are an easy walk to the left about 15-20 minutes along the waterfront as you leave the ferry dock. You'll pass several waterfront restaurants on your way there.

billbarr Feb 25th, 2010 12:38 PM

carrom

The Mykonos Grace is located at Aghios Stephanos, a little over 4 kilometres from town. It's too far to walk for most but there is a local bus service which travels from the town to the New Port then Aghios Stephanos. The arrival/departure point in town is at Palio Limani, the old harbour. From there to the town's waterfront cafes and shops is a 2-minute walk.

If I can suggest anything it is not to have your hotel arrange scooter rental. You may pay premium prices. Here's one owned and run by an old Myconian family which is located right next to the Grace:

http://www.mykonos-scooters.com

Bill

carrom Feb 25th, 2010 01:21 PM

Thank-you,Bill,
we will certainly take your advice about the scooter. Is it a good idea to book it before we leave do you think?

parosblue Feb 25th, 2010 04:05 PM

carrom, Yes, you can definitely take a taxi or bus to Naoussa. If you go for dinner, the Barbarossa is a good place to eat (order fish!) at the harborside. Other lodgings in Parakia to check out are Dina's in the old market square, or Pantarei Rooms for the really traditional style with a touch of the artistic. There are many choices. Also walking distance from town is Sophia Pension or Hotel Hermes for a plain yet nice room. It might be most convenient to stay in Parakia and then go out to Naoussa if you have time for the afternoon or evening. You can't go wrong!

brotherleelove2004 Feb 25th, 2010 04:17 PM

Be advised that grilled meats and fish are sold by weight so be sure you know the price of the portion you're ordering or be prepared for a possible shock when the bill comes.

billbarr Feb 26th, 2010 03:41 AM

hi carrom

Availaibily of scooters should be OK in June but if some cruise ships are due in, then passengers sometimes book well in advance. Most agencies make a good bit of money with these 'bulk bookings' and those can take all of their fleet of bikes.

As the agency doesn't seem to ask for a deposit I guess it may be worthwhile booking now.

Bill

carrom Feb 28th, 2010 08:25 AM

Wonderful advice from all of you! Thank-you. It's months to go, but I can't wait!

HappyTrvlr Feb 28th, 2010 11:01 AM

We loved staying- and dining- in Naoussa.