Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   GREECE - Athens, Santorini, Mykonos (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/greece-athens-santorini-mykonos-671030/)

new2europe Jan 17th, 2007 05:18 AM

GREECE - Athens, Santorini, Mykonos

Husband and I traveling for 2 weeks in Greece 6/30-7/14/07. Athens, Santorini, and Mykonos of interest, but am open to all suggestions at this stage. I know I need to book air transportation soon - we are in Boston. We are fit active people who generally like to travel as light as possible. Love the beach, nightlife, people watching, as well as direct interaction with locals/families a plus. Not prone to do bus tours, but did one in Brugge last year that ended up being extremely worthwhile, so we're open. We are on somewhat of a budget (within reason), but will spend for an experience worthwhile. Help please!

SuQue Jan 17th, 2007 08:07 AM

Consider the Peloponnesean Peninsula and its antiquities, Napflion,Olympia- and other islands-Paros, Naxos, Hydra, Spetses- to get a better feel for Greece.

Weadles Jan 17th, 2007 09:44 AM

new2europe,

You're going to love Greece! We visited last summer and can't wait to go back.

With two weeks, you might be able to squeeze one more island into your schedule. We had a fantastic time in Chania, Crete, a beautiful old port whose streets and buildings date from Venetian-Turkish times.

The harbor is very lively and lots of fun in the summer months. There are gorgeous sun-drenched beaches within a few hours' drive of Chania, as well as the famous Samaria Gorge, which is a somewhat grueling,( and hot!) but remarkable 11-mile hike through some of the most incredible scenery in Europe.

We also very much enjoyed Rhodes, with its gorgeous beaches ( Rhodes claims to have some of the best beaches in the Aegean), incredible medieveal fortresses and ruins,and fascinating Old Town.

We stayed at the beach area- Faliraki- in Rhodes, but if we went back, I would stay closer in to the Old Town, which offers a lot to do and see into the early hours of the morning.

Anyway, to maximize your time, I'd advise flying into Athens and connecting right away ( if possible) to your first island pick.

Flight time to most of the islands from Athens is about an hour or less.

Spend a few days in Athens at the end of your trip, so that you don't backtrack and don't have to worry about possible cancellations/delays on ferries or planes from other islands before your flight home.

Have a great time!

Weadles Jan 17th, 2007 09:46 AM

One last thing. I absolutely would advise booking your trip soon. We are probably going to Turkey this summer, and in the last two weeks, the fares have gone up by about $100 or so.

new2europe Feb 5th, 2007 11:25 AM

Thanks for the info Weadles - in my absence from this board, we had already decided to include Crete. Given Crete, Mykonos, Santorini, and Athens, what would you suggest with respect to order of islands (so as to not backtrack) as well as modes of transportation? Husband slightly anxious regarding very small aircraft - we are open to experiencing all modes of transport, though. Thanks in advance! FYI, have already booked air so we're all set there........

Gaspard Feb 5th, 2007 11:29 AM

Athens, Mykonos, Santorini, Crete, Athens or reverse.
h.

new2europe Mar 5th, 2007 04:38 AM

TENTATIVE ITINERARY:
7/1 (Sat)
Arrive Athens in AM on overnight from US, stay Athens 1 night
7/2 (Sun)
Overnight PM ferry to Crete (husband's wishes)
7/3 - 7/6 (TU, Weds, TH)
Crete, Chania, Vilelmine for 2 or 3 nights, possible 3rd night in Herkalion, trying to weigh pros and cons.
7/6 (FR, Sat, Sun)
AM ferry to Santorini, 3 nights in Santorini, considering Porto Fira, Aigialos, or Reverie (Fira or Firestofini)
7/9 (Mon, Tues, Wed)
Ferry to Mykonos, considering Petasos Beach Resort, 3 nights
7/12 (Th, Fri)
Ferry to Athens, 2 nights
7/14 (Sat)
return flight to US.

Suggestions on any of this are most welcome. Husband really has heart set on ferries vs. air travel between islands, but could be convinced otherwise if worthwhile. Willing to pay for unforgettable accommodations, however we are looking for value and an "authentic" experience if it is possible. We are down-to-earth people persons that like nice things. Looking/open for opportunities to interact with locals if possible.

doug_stallings Mar 5th, 2007 05:13 AM

My only suggestion would be that if you are looking for a more authentic experience in Mykonos, absolutely skip the beach resorts, which are far removed from Mykonos Town, where the most interesting shops and restaurants can be found. Rent some scooters in Mykonos (or even a small car) and do some sightseeing and take a trip to the beach.

blamona Mar 7th, 2007 11:32 AM

An awesome day trip from Mykonos is Delos. The whole island is roman ruins, with columns, mosaics, amphetheater. Ask at the hotel about a day trip, or you will see it advertised at travel agencies in town.

In Santorini, at least one night go to Oia, and watch the sunset. Great people watching, and everyone comes out to sit and watch it set. It "changes" the colors of town, trully a gorgeous experience.

Most restuarants are outside, and take a couple of hours, makes for great people watching.

Weadles Mar 7th, 2007 12:23 PM

new2europe,

I think your itinerary looks very good, although I'm not a big fan of 2-night stays. I think just as you get settled, you have to pack up again.

Anyway, a few things:

Do you have hotel reservations yet? Availability or lack of it for June-July might influence your itinerary choices. I would get on this ASAP.

If you need recommendations, I'd be happy to make some. Also post for suggestions in particular from BROTHERLEELOVE2004 and HEIMDALL.

I completely agree with the editor's suggestion not to stay at a beach resort in Mykonos. We stayed at one outside town last summer, and it was a big mistake. We were not able to get back and forth with ease to town. There is limited taxi service available on the island, and some very SLOW buses!

To maximize your 2-day stay in Athens, I'd suggest flying between Mykonos and Athens. It's a very short flight- only about 30 minutes.

Have a great time in the islands!

new2europe Mar 15th, 2007 05:59 AM

Weadles: most of our stays are 3 nights, I also agree that for the most part 2 nights is too short. We split Athens between the day of arrival and final 2 nights, in case our schedule gets thrown off in the islands.

We have booked Villelmine in Crete, Reverie Traditional in Santorini, and Petasos Beach Resort in Mykonos. Despite all advise to stay in Mykonos Town, I think I might want some pampering during the second week and so this would allow me to hang at the beach and resort if hubby wants to travel to town on his own.

Still haven't booked any accommodations for Athens, yet. Probably try 2 different hotels for start/end of the trip, so suggestions for 2 varied accommodations/locations might be good. Also considering double booking for last night in Santorini in case we decide to take the bus to Herklion the night before our ferry to Myk instead of the morning of. Looking for advice/suggestions on this as well.
So far so much good advice. I have been told that this will be the trip of a lifetime, and I am really believing it now.