direct train from Paris, CDG to London

Old Aug 11th, 2009, 11:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
direct train from Paris, CDG to London

Hi all,

Need some help here to complete my trip plaining.

Depart from KLIA (Malaysia) and arrive in Paris, CDG and take another flight to Venice for a couple of nights and plan to go to London after that. My return flight from venice will be in the afternoon and ETA is 1500H and I want to be in London before night to search for my hotel (1st trip to London).

Are there any direct trains depart from Paris, CDG instead of Gare Du Nord to London?.

I have checked a few websites ie. eurostar and TGV. Eurostar depart from Gare Du Nord which I try to avoid this as I am afraid I can't catch the train (have to do advanve booking via internet with the fixed time). TGV website didn't allowed me to book as my country is not in the list.

Thank you.
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 12:33 AM

There are no direct trains from CDG to London - only from Gare du Nord in Paris. But why are you flying back from Venice to Paris when you are trying to get to London anyway? Did you already book these flights? If not, consider a direct Venice to London flight and skip Paris on this leg. If you can't change your flights, consider adding a flight from Paris is London (as you'll already be in CDG it makes more sense than travelling into central Paris to pick up the Eurostar).
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 12:58 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Gordon_R.

Actually we want to experience the high speed train as we are coming back to Paris to finish our holiday.

It seems that I have to buy the eurostar ticket from gare Du Nord.
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 04:42 AM

Yes, your only option is Gare du Nord.

But why aren't you booking a hotel in London ahead of time? With all that flying and train travel, I would think you'd want to know you have a booking in London firmed up.

Honestly, your itinerary sounds like a bit of a nightmare.
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 05:15 AM
ira

> why aren't you booking a hotel in London ahead of time?<
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 06:21 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Are you flying home from CDG or from London?

It makes absolutely no sense to fly to Paris to take the train to London. None. Even if you DO want to experience a train - it still makes almost no sense.

Fly from Venice to London. Then, if you are flying out of CDG you could always take the train back to Paris for a day before flying out.

But two major points:

1) If you do take the Eurostar to London (or back to Paris), you really should pre-book your tickets because walk up fares are VERY much higher.

2) You really REALLY do not want to arrive in London w/o a hotel already booked. Otherwise you may end up paying more than you need and not ending up in such a nice place . . . .
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 06:31 AM

I was bit confused also. Are you going to London JUST to take be able to take TGV back to Paris? You could plan to take TGV from South of france to Paris. If not, good idea to have hotel ready, otherwise...
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Original Poster

I am flying home from CDG, thus I have to spend my last couple of night in Paris.

It is a bit of a nighmare, as we have to travel from south to north and come back to centre and I have checked all the mode of transportation and it seems this is the possible way.

Anyone can advise me what time should I book the train with all the hassle I have to go through with the immigration in venice and paris and possible flight delay. I will arrive in Paris at 14.35H and I have pre-booked the eurostar to London from Gare Du Nord at 17.35H. I am assuming that it will take me 1 hour to get immigation clearance and another 30min to reach Gare Du Nord via RER.

I have to release the ticket within another 24hours.
Thank you.
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 05:37 AM

Sounds like an odd itinerary to me, also. Do you really want to go to London just take a high-speed train? Because you could easily take a high-speed train while staying in Paris to some city and back for a day trip (eg, Lyon or Dijon or Brussels). As for your timing, in my experience, it doesn't usually take an hour to get through immigration, but fine to plan for that. Your 30 min to get from that point to Gare du Nord is not realistic. The actual train time in transit is about 30 min, but you have to have time to get from the immigration point to the train station, buy tickets, and perhaps wait for the train -- sure, not a long wait, but still.
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 06:56 AM

I'm with janisj. Release your Paris-London Eurostar ticket and fly from CDG to London. Get your high-speed train ride by taking the Eurostar from London to Paris and then make your way from Gare du Nord to CDG.
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 06:59 AM

Revision to my post above. Since you'll be in Paris for a couple of nights before flying home, it makes even more sense to make London-Paris your Eurostar ride. No need to coordinate your arrival in Paris with getting to CDG in time to catch a flight.
Old Aug 16th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your kind advise.

I am now reviewing my paris/london itinerary. I have booked return air ticket and hotel in Venice.