Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Greece & Turkey with 10 year old_advice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1st, 2009, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi - I am planning a 10 week trip to Europe next summer with my daughter (she will be 10).

I am planning to start our journey in Greece in June (I've been advised to avoid July and August due to crowds)

I would love to take my little girl to Crete and Santorini, and Ephesus.

I would just like to know what other Greek islands we should visit. The three places i mentioned are the only ideas I have for now.

Also, what is a good amount of time to spend in these three places? I'd like to spend no more than 3 weeks total in Greece.

Thanks!
Old Oct 1st, 2009, 09:37 AM

Ephesus itself is a half day visit. I think that a couple of days in Selçuk (including the visit to Ephesus) would be enough.
Old Oct 1st, 2009, 10:36 AM

Crete is a very large island and you'll need at least a week with a rental car to do it justice. Considering the location of your 3 choices so far it will be necessary for you to plan carefully since connecting them by ferry will require that you do so through other islands. Crete and Santorini are connected directly by the Hellenic Seaways FlyingCat 4 but getting from Santorini to Ephesus means first going to either Paros or Naxos for the late-night ferry to Samos, which will get you there in time for the morning ferry to Kusadasi. Both Paros and Naxos are very good choices for another island. I prefer Paros. From both of these islands you can also take a daytrip excursion to the archaeological site of Delos Island which will include a short stop on Mykonos for a couple of hours. If you only want to see Ephesus in Turkey you can sign up for a group tour on Samos that takes you across to Kusadasi, puts you on a bus to Ephesus then returns you to Kusadasi for the ferry back to Samos.
Old Oct 1st, 2009, 03:22 PM

I agree with the route above, but recommend Naxos. BLL and I are always at friendly odds about this. Of the 2 of us, I have raised chldren, and have taken children on beach holidays. Paros has a lot to offer (and I have been there 4 times) but Naxos has distinct advantages for parents with younger children. In Paros, to get to the best beaches you need to rent a car. The beach that is adjacent to the port town, Parikia, is not very appealing (and I have stayed there and swum there)...

In Naxos, St. George Beach, a clean shallow sandy beach, is connected directly to Naxos Town. In June, it is not overcrowded, and there are many children the age of your daughter ... lots of Scandinavians and germans, but language appears to be NO barrier. You can get a hotel directly on the beach; if you rent one called "studio" something, you will have a kitchenette, so you can fix meals and snacks and the beach is a few feet outside the door. There are also water sports (wind-surfing, sunfish boats etc). There are 4-5 Tavernas (restaurants) right on the beach, and all the harborside cafes are a 5 to 10 minute stroll.

Naxos also has things that will appeal to you both: An ancient huge arch on a causeway (it's a ritual to try to photo the sunset THROUGH it), a winding maze-y agora that goes up up up to a castle atop the town... 2 x a week, a concert of Greek music and dance ... a museum jam-packed with marble "idols" the size of barbie dolls up to size of her!... the best ice cream store in the Cyclades (Waffle House) ... You can rent a car for the day to whirl around the island, or take a round-the-island bus for €2. ALSO: Naxos has a 1-day excursion where you can go to Delos AND Mykonos and still get back for sunset! Here's a slide show of some Naxos highlights:
http://travel.webshots.com/slideshow/552001505EYxVYT
Old Oct 1st, 2009, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! This is good information. Are there any other suggestions for kids on the Greek islands?
Old Oct 1st, 2009, 08:51 PM

Don't get tooo ambitious, you say you have 3 weeks in Greece. A possible sequence:
(1) Fly to Chania CRETE (2 days) Drive south to Matala (1 day) Drive to Knossos area (1 day)
(2) Fast-ferry (.5 day) to SANTORINI ... stay 2 days
(3) Ferry to Naxos (.5 day) -- stay 4 days
(4) Ferry to Paros just to get that overnight ferry to SAMOS
(5) SAMOS -- stay 2 days, enjoy! Hotel Pythagoras, nearby has a littl beach too..
(6) Day Excursion to EPHESUS
(7) Ferry to PATMOS for 2 days ....
(8) Ferry to RHODES (.5 day) ... kids looove the ancient Crusader walls (you can walk on top) 4 days? That makes about 7 days
.... then fly back to Athens for your last 4 days = about 21.
Old Oct 2nd, 2009, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Interesting, I never thought to add Rhodes to the itinerary. It looks like a beautiful place! =p

Never heard of Patmos. What is special about that island?

Thanks!
Old Oct 2nd, 2009, 12:10 PM

I can only do so much texas -- some research is your next step. I suggest your local library or the nearest Barnes & Noble. The best "Overview" guide, I think, is "EYEWITNESS: the Greek Islands" -- it shows clearly the highlights of each island, including color graphic illustrations of such things as the Santorini "explosion" and a detailed 3-d illustration of Rhodes Old Town.

The fly-leaf also shows the standard ferry routes between islands, which will make it clearer WHY we have suggested the sequences that we have. Another Guide that helps in planning ferry-rout travel is T. Cook's "GREEK ISLAND HOPPING."

We are glad to help you choose AMONG islands you find attractive. We do not customarily provide a complete education on Greece since we also have things to do ... and since you have time to plan, some homework like this will increase the enjoyment of your trip rather than if people spoon-feed every fact. Read up on stuff, you'll find that it's fun!!
Old Oct 2nd, 2009, 01:41 PM

Patmos (Greek, Πάτμος; Italian: Patmo) is a small Greek island in the Aegean Sea. One of the northernmost islands of the Dodecanese complex, it has a population of 2,984 and an area of 34.05 km (13 square miles). The highest point is Profitis Ilias, 269 meters above sea level. The Municipality of Patmos, which includes the offshore islands of Arkoi (pop. 54), Marathi (pop. 6), and several uninhabited islets, has a total population of 3,044 (2001 census) and a combined land area of 45.039 km².

Patmos' main communities are Chora (the capital city), and Skala, the only commercial port. Other settlements are Grikou and Kampos. The churches and communities on Patmos are of the Eastern Orthodox tradition. In 1999, the island's historic center Chora, along with the Monastery of Saint John the Theologian and the Cave of the Apocalypse, were declared World Heritage Sites by UNESCO. The monastery was founded by Saint Christodulos. Patmos is also home to the Patmian School, a notable Greek seminary.

Patmos is mentioned in the Christian scriptural Book of Revelation. The book's introduction states that its author, John, was on Patmos when he was given (and recorded) a vision from Jesus. Earliest Christian tradition identifies this writer as John the Apostle. As such, Patmos is a destination for Christian pilgrimage. Visitors can see the cave where John is said to have received his Revelation (the Cave of the Apocalypse), and several monasteries on the island are dedicated to Saint John.
Old Oct 2nd, 2009, 03:17 PM

cblair, sorry I didn't fill you in on Patmos, I was hurried to go off to an obligation ... actually the KEY reason for stopping at Patmos is this --- Rhodes is a wonderful island to end your adventure with, and one which your daughter will like AND one where you can readily get a cut-price Aegean Air flight back to Athens (if you order iin Early Spring while suppllies last). BUT .... Samos (which you need in order to access one of your Must-sees, Ephesus) is in a different Island Group, for ferries. It is in the North Aegean group... Rhodes is in the Dodecanese group, as is Patmos. No can go from Samos to Rhodes.

However -- Patmos is the Magic link! There are fast-ferries almost every day from Samos to Patmos... and then there are frequent ferries from Patmos to Rhodes. A further "trick" to know ... if you don't like the timing of the Samos-to-Patmos ferry, you have an additional option. There is a daily "excursion boat" from Samos, that leaves at 7:30 am... because Patmos is a popular destination for religious groups. You could take the excursion boat and just not go back on it ... I think u can even get a 1-way fare.
Old Oct 3rd, 2009, 03:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi Cblair,

do you also need any info or suggestions regarding turkey? Although the title of your post says Greece and Turkey, you do not mention anything about the time you would like to reserve for Turkey.

Check info on: Cappadocia, Mardin, Club Med Palmiye, Kemer, Antalya (the best kid's club and best AI food), Olympos (fires of the Chimera)and Cirali (a serene small beach resort in a unique small eco-system); Rize/Hopa/Borcka/Artvin/Macahel/Savsat/Barhal for nature, hikes, forests, waterfalls, lakes, mountains;
Istanbul, for bosphorus cruise, fortresses to climb, MiniaTurk exhibition, grandiose and 1001 nights palaces, a cosmopolitan mix of sixteen million people.
Old Oct 3rd, 2009, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much everyone!