Notices

Greece and Santori tips needed

Nov 3rd, 2011, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Greece and Santori tips needed

We're visiting mainland Greece and Santorini with our 13 year-old granddaughter in July of 2012. Would not have chosen such a hot month but we are invited to a wedding, which made it a "must do." I am concerned about the heat and wonder how often there are power outages, thus no AC. Is heat as much a factor on Santorini? We need suggestions for where to stay on Santorini as well.
Thank you.
Nov 3rd, 2011, 10:32 AM

I was in Greece during July several years ago. It was hot though a little cooler than normal. It really wasn't brutal compared to mid-western summers (humid!) and though we walked all day every day staying hydrated helped us manage. Santorini is wonderful no matter the tempatures but it was very enjoyable even in deep summer so I doubt you will have issues. We split between hotels and a cruise ship and never ran into any power outages.

I can't help on where to stay but I'm sure someone can chime in. Enjoy (I'm jealous ). I'm sure it will be a great time!
Nov 3rd, 2011, 01:25 PM

The Cyclades (including Santorini) are blessed with Meltemi winds that keep the islands cooler than the mainland. Do as the Greeks, stay out of the midday sun, and you will be fine. Get your sightseeing done in the morning or late afternoon. Summer evenings in Greece are wonderful, with outdoor tables at cafes and restaurants. The only time I worry about AC is when sleeping at night. Power outages are rare, and shouldn't be of concern to you.

Search this Thread