Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is the first week Nov too cold/rainy in Rome?

Old May 11th, 2006, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An apartment we have found in Rome is avail only 10/28 - 11/6.

We would of course like to take advantage of the outdoor cafes and wander around Rome on foot.

Would this late be too cold and rainy to enjoy? Should we try for something late Sept/early Oct?
Old May 11th, 2006, 03:24 PM

We have found the weather to be unpredictable. Our late November stay in 2003 was downright balmy with hardly a drop of rain (I had read it was rainy season so was prepared for the worst), our last trip in early March of 2005 was downright FREEZING.

We do sacrifice guaranteed warmer weather for less crowds by going in off season and have found that many restaurants and cafes, in Rome especially, have those giant outdoor heaters so people can enjoy them year round.

Personally, I'd rather risk the weather (just pack for the possibilities) for fewer people but my husband prefers the warmer weather so we'll be traveling in mid-September this year.

Old May 11th, 2006, 03:35 PM

Of course, there's no guarantee that you will--or won't--have rain. Temperature-wise, it just might be warm enough for you to enjoy sitting at outdoor cafes. Early November normally is just about the end of the "sitting outdoors comfortably" season in Rome.
Old May 11th, 2006, 04:01 PM

Im glad you asked this question because i too will be in Rome the exact date you posted. You must really like the apartment to be willing to change your travel dates.
My friend and i have also rented an apartment. I literally looked at hundreds before we settled on one.

Hope we both dont get drenched!
Enjoy your trip.
Old May 12th, 2006, 01:52 AM
Original Poster

VerucaSalt - what apartment did you end up choosing?
Old May 12th, 2006, 02:14 AM

You might try going to www.weatherunderground.com and looking at the historical weather data for Rome at that time of year.

Whether or not what you find will be reassuring is anyone's guess.
Old May 12th, 2006, 05:06 AM

I have had great weather in Rome the past couple years at that time of the year. Just bring a fashionable scarf for your neck and a good umbrella in case the weather changes and you will be fine. The lesser crowds at that time of the year make Rome even more wonderful!
Old May 12th, 2006, 01:48 PM

Wanderer- My friend and i will actually be in Italy for three weeks. We rented an apartment in Positano, Rome, and Florence. We thought that our first Rome apartment was a done deal till the owner decided to take her time signing her contract with the rental agency. So then i found another one that we both really like on a website where you contact the actual owner instead of an agency. Its very central, near Piazza Navona.
Where is your apartment? Did you find it online?
If your still looking, id be happy to sent some websites your way.
Even though we didnt end of renting from romanreference.com i found them to be very professional. They have a big selection with alot of pictures.
Old May 12th, 2006, 01:53 PM

GattoBaci

I will also be in Rome during the last week of September. How is the weather there during this time of the year?
Old May 12th, 2006, 05:08 PM

We have been to Rome twice in early November and twice in late November. There is a big difference in the weather. Early November is great with cool mornings and evenings (light jacket/sweater) and warm late mornings, afternoons and early evenings. Short rain showers every other day (sometimes twice a day, but short LOL.) If you take a day trip via train to Florence, it will be much colder, so take a jacket/coat and dress warm for the entire day there. Early November with rain glistening on cobble stone streets is a great time to be in Rome, so take a small umbrella with you as you walk and eat your way through a great City.

Lee