Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Greece allergy translation check (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/greece-allergy-translation-check-1094735/)

mrsnikkik Apr 13th, 2016 07:27 PM

Greece allergy translation check

Hi All,

My family and I are traveling to Europe this year and are taking our daughter who has a nut and gluten allergy. We have tried to translate a message that we can give restaurants/kitchen staff when ordering food. But I was hoping that I could get someone who knows both languages to check to see that it does in fact say what we intended. I have included both messages, both Greek and English. Hopefully someone can help. I've just had some people help me with our Dutch card and they were a great help. Due to going through about 6 different countries we will need each language so sorry if you see my posts for each language. Thank so much in advance, Nic :)

Greek

Η κόρη μου είναι αλλεργικός σε όλα τα είδη των τα καρύδια και γλουτένης / σιτάρι. Αν τρώει τα τρόφιμα που περιέχουν τα καρύδια, παξιμάδι πετρελαίου, βούτυρα καρυδιών ή το σιτάρι, η κόρη μου θα πεθάνει.

Αν το παιδί μου αταναλώνει / φάει οποιοδήποτε είδος των καρπών με κέλυφος ή οποιαδήποτε τρόφιμα που έχουν μαγειρευτεί με ξηρούς καρπούς ή άγγιξε οποιοδήποτε είδος ξηρών καρπών, συμπεριλαμβανομένων των επιφανειών προετοιμασίας των τροφίμων και σκεύη, αυτή πρέπει να έχει άμεση ιατρική βοήθεια επειδή θα πεθάνουν.

Αν τρώει οποιαδήποτε τρόφιμα που περιέχουν γλουτένη / σιτάρι θα είναι πολύ άρρωστος.

English

My daughter is allergic to all types of nuts and gluten / wheat. If she eats foods that contain nuts, nut oil, nut butters or wheat, my daughter will die.

If my child consumes/eats any kind of nuts or any foods that have been cooked with nuts or touched any kind of nut, including food preparation surfaces and utensils, she must have immediate medical help because she will die.

If she eats any food containing gluten / wheat she will be very sick.

ribeirasacra Apr 13th, 2016 10:56 PM

Part of my reply to your posting in Netherlands section:
If it is so bad that she may die I would personally do my own catering. It is hard not to get cross contamination in restaurants.

sparkchaser Apr 13th, 2016 11:04 PM

<i> It is hard not to get cross contamination in restaurants.</i>

This.

If it really truly is a matter of life and death, I would pay for a professional translator and not the free services of random internet people.

clausar Apr 13th, 2016 11:26 PM

This is the Greek translation

Η κόρη μου είναι αλλεργική σε όλα τα είδη των ξηρών καρπών και επίσης στη γλουτένη και το σιτάρι. Αν φάει τρόφιμα που περιέχουν ξηρούς καρπούς, έλαιο ή βούτυρο ξηρών καρπών, ή σιτάρι, η κόρη μου θα πεθάνει.

Αν το παιδί μου καταναλώσει / φάει οποιοδήποτε είδος ξηρών καρπών ή οποιαδήποτε τρόφιμα που έχουν μαγειρευτεί με ξηρούς καρπούς ή ήρθαν σε επαφή με οποιοδήποτε είδος ξηρών καρπών, συμπεριλαμβανομένων των επιφανειών προετοιμασίας των τροφίμων και σκευών παρασκευής τους, θα πρέπει να έχει άμεση ιατρική βοήθεια επειδή θα πεθάνει.

Αν φάει οποιαδήποτε τρόφιμα που περιέχουν γλουτένη ή σιτάρι θα αρρωστήσει σοβαρά.

If you would like to have a translation by an official greek/english professional translator, i can recommend a friend of mine, just let me know.

Odin Apr 14th, 2016 12:04 AM

I thought that καρύδια was a reference specifically to walnuts and not all nuts in general. The correction above has made an adjustment to that.

sandralist Apr 14th, 2016 03:33 AM

Folks,

Many people have food allergies that could be fatal to them, including exposure through cross-contamination. They don't live in bubbles, and they eat in restaurants, cafeterias and they travel. Professionals in the food industry are aware of this, and are not surprised by language that explains the accidental exposure can lead to a life-threatening situation.

I don't see how you are being helpful by posting about things you apparently have no experience with.

ribeirasacra Apr 14th, 2016 06:45 AM

***you apparently have no experience with.***

What is yours then? I have I work in the hotel trade and have to do with these EU regulations on a daily basis.

clausar Apr 14th, 2016 10:04 AM

In Greece this kind of allergies are not very common...
Gluten allergy is unknown to most Greeks, only recently gluten free products appeared in the Greek market.....

I have a friend who has the same allergies as OP's daughter, he has no problem when eating out, as the simple Greek cuisine that you find in many restaurants is very rich in vegetarian dishes and is using mainly olive oil.

But in order to stay on the safe side, i find absolutely necessary to contact an english speaking waiter before ordering, to explain with more details what you want.

PetrosB3 Apr 14th, 2016 10:30 AM

Greeks speak very good English, as it is mandatory in schools for decades. So if you tell them, they will understand. But as a Greek I can write you an efficient message so that you can be sure:

Η κόρη μου είναι εξαιρετικά αλλεργική στη ΓΛΟΥΤΕΝΗ, και στους ΞΗΡΟΥΣ ΚΑΡΠΟΥΣ (καρύδι, κουκουνάρι, φυστίκι, κλπ).

Θας σας παρακαλούσα να είστε πολύ προσεκτικοί, διότι σε περίπτωση που το φαγητό ΠΕΡΙΕΧΕΙ, ή έχει έρθει σε ΕΠΑΦΗ με ένα απο τα παραπάνω, θα πάθει αλλεργικό σοκ και ίσως καταλήξει σε ΘΑΝΑΤΟ.

Παρακαλώ ενημερώστε μας για το αν αυτό είναι δυνατόν.

Ευχαριστώ για τη κατανόηση.

mrsnikkik Apr 15th, 2016 08:07 PM

Thank you all so much.

I do understand people feeling anxious about the risk and, for us, having lived with this risk for a long time people are generally very supportive if they understand the situation and her needs. Most places are very happy, and are used to catering to needs such as our child's. Obviously we carry adrenalin and antihistamines should she consume anything but it would be nice if we don't have to use it and make our way to hospital on our holiday. We would, of course, eat food that we regularly carry with us if we are unable to find a safe option.

Thank you all for your concern and support.

:)