COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Great Walking Areas in Paris

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 08:27 AM
Drew

Great Walking Areas in Paris

I'll be in Paris 4-26 through 4-29.

What neighborhoods or streets are neat to walk around? I'm interested in some street market goods (paintings, etc), unique stores, bistros and cafes, etc. We're staying just north of the Louvre, in Hotel Vendome.

Can anyone share their experiences, and where you think we should go?

Merci!

Drew

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 09:44 AM
Yvonne

I'll start you off with the Ile St Louis. After you visit Notre Dame cross the bridge and explore the island. I'm certain that Fodor's or Frommer's has a guide in their books highlighting points of interest. Actually you'll be hard pressed to find an uninteresting area to walk around.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 10:22 AM
Drew

What about the Latin Quarter or Montmarte? Is the "grans boulevards" worth it?

Thanks!

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 01:50 PM
jo

Behind sacre coeurs in montmartre is a nice quiet village neighborood. theres even a working vineyard there. and a nice little park.
also the isles and place voges. i think thats how you spell it. certainly any of the parks like luxembourg gardens or bois de bologne and along the seine with a view of the eiffel is one of my favs. im going back soon, cant wait.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 03:43 PM
Wendy

The Marais in the 4th and Place des Vosges in the 3rd. Also the 6th off St. Germaine near Rue dauphine.

Have a great time!

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 05:36 PM
elvira

Avenue Daumesnil along the Viaduc des Artistes (afterwards, go up top for a walk along the top of the viaduc which is a garden; follow it as far east as you can - it ends in a park - then keep going into the Bois de Vincennes).

Bercy Village - start at the Omni, through the Parc de Bercy, keep heading southeast into Bercy. This is the oldest inhabited part of Paris (as in, pre-Roman) and the original unloading spot for boats bringing wine to the city (bow your head in reverence). The original warehouses are still there, then further along is a re-created village with wonderful shops and restaurants.

Parc de Montsouris - to the west, across the street, are several "villas" - cul-de-sacs with beautiful little houses, all different styles. South of the parc is the Cite Universitaire Internationale de Paris - each of the dormitories is buy a famous architect from that country (guess who did the Swiss one...). This walk is more for looking than shopping or eating.

Rue de Paradis - Baccarat Museum, then glassware and ceramic/porcelain stores in the area. The buildings are often decorated with mosaics and faience. I've never eaten in the area, so don't remember any restaurants or cafes.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 06:21 PM
kate

I love the walk from rue Jacob on the Left Bank to the Invalides.You go past government buildings, homes,a couple of small parks and churches with lovely statues,and then the Invalides and the Rodin Museum.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 06:26 PM
Jayelle

The walk along Canal St.-Martin is very pleasant.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 09:30 AM
yvonne

Walk from the Invalides, throught Champs des Mars, under the tour eiffel, look up when you're under the center, across the Seine, up the stairs of the Trocadero, sit on a bench and look back at the tower.