Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Great things to do on second trip to Rome?

Aug 20th, 2003, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

We are leaving for Italy in two weeks and plan to stay three nights in Rome. We have been to Rome once before and seen many of the popular sights - Colloseum, Forum, St. Peters/Sistine Chapel, Piazza Navona, Spanish Steps, Pantheon, etc. We loved Rome so wanted to include it on our second trip but haven't decided exactly what we will do on those three days. Any recommendations for cool things to see or do on a second trip?
Aug 20th, 2003, 07:14 PM

Go back to a few places you loved and add a few new ones. One can never see the Pieta, Trevi, Pantheon, or Piazza Navona too many times.

Michelangelo's Moses, Trastevere, Campo de Fiori, and Villa Borghese
are 4 different things I will see this time that I didnt see the first time I was in Rome.

Have a wonderful trip and lets all take care of our Italy when we visit. No littering please
Aug 21st, 2003, 02:31 AM

How about a day or half day out of Rome? Tivoli (Villa Adriana & Villa d'Este) makes a good day out, - or the Colli Albani, e.g. Castel Gandolfo.

Steve
Aug 21st, 2003, 04:48 AM

You could spend 3 days in the Vatican Museums and not see anything close to their entire collection. The Borghese Museum also has a vast collection. There are also smaller museums throughout the city.

Take picnics in the various parks, go to the weekend flea markets. Talk a walk in the Jewish quarter and along the river. Catch a concert in one of the churches, and/or see the other famous churches you did not see on your first vist. Go to a movie.
Aug 21st, 2003, 05:27 AM

We really enjoyed Ostia Antica ... its about 20 - 30 minutes outside of Rome. You take the subway there. It was a port town which died a slow death. The remains of the town are incredible. It could be either a full day or half day trip.

As well, there is a lovely church near the Pantheon called Santa Maria di Sopra Minerva (sp?). I'd want to revisit the Pantheon/Piazza Navon and the Trevi Fountain too.

We stayed in Trastevere and it is a very fun, happening area ... I would suggest going for dinner and staying to wander the streets with the masses ... music, vendors, people, fun.

Have a great time.

Tory
Aug 21st, 2003, 05:35 AM

The view from the top of Castel Sant'Angelo is incomparable. Watch Roman Holiday before you go.....the dance scene at the river is filmed at the foot of this Roman site.

Take in something at the Baths of Caracalla. There should be a schedule of the offerings in the web.
Aug 21st, 2003, 05:41 AM

Don't miss St. Paul's outside the walls basilica - a short walk from the Colloseum area.
Aug 21st, 2003, 05:43 AM

I highly agree with eliztra about the view from the Castel Sant'Angelo. Breathtaking. Unfortunately, we took our kids to the Tivoli gardens a year ago March, having visited them ourselves back in the '80's, sure that it would be a great visit for kids with all the fountains and statuary. We were sadly disappointed. They have fallen to the elements pretty dramatically, and the government is just now getting around to dealing with their deterioration. Many of the fountains were not working at all. It was very sad, though still interesting. But if I had only 3 days in the Rome area, I would not advise spending half of an entire day (which is what is would take) on Tivoli.

I would highly recommend the catacombs out the Appian Way. THAT was a religious experience!
Aug 22nd, 2003, 07:27 AM

I agree with the poster who recommended Trastevere. I'd begin (or follow up) with a walk up to the Gianicolo. You'll get fantastic views of Rome, plus a sense of Rome's "real" life.
Aug 22nd, 2003, 07:55 AM

I'm another fan of Castel Sant'Angelo. I was there as the sun was setting late one winter afternoon and the view from the top was sheer delight. Another rec I can give you is to go the top of the Vittorio Emanuelle at the end of via del Corso--you'll get yet another view of the Roman skyline. (Both places have snack bar/coffee shop type things at the top.) Also, the Vittorio Emanuelle hosts various exhibits throughout the year that are usually free, so there's something else you can do while there.

The Palazzo Colonna near the Vittorio Emanuelle is something else I would recommend. It's only open on Saturday mornings, but the fabulous furnishings and artifacts of the infamous Colonna family are on display, and are indeed an opulent treat to the eye.

Also, if the heat is not overwhelming, why not take a "time out" and picnic in the Parco Borghese? It's a treasure that such natural serenity exists so close to the bustling city center of the nation's capital.

Buon Viaggio,
BC
Aug 22nd, 2003, 08:32 AM

Just relax and enjoy the city..Also take day trips to Assissi, only 90 minutes withthe train,, or go to Florence for the day, also 90 minutes with the ES..
Aug 22nd, 2003, 08:44 AM

Just went to Villa D'este in early July and it was spectacular - ALL the fountains were running at full steam and garden was beautiful.

Hadrian's Villa was also wonderful - eerily empty. We only saw maybe 100 other people in two hours, unlike the zoo at Pompeii.

Bring a sun umbrella - it gets hot.

Coachboy
Aug 22nd, 2003, 08:48 AM

See some interesting churches. The Basilicas like St. Paul Outside the Walls (not a short walk from the Colloseum, it's four Metro stops away and 10 minutes by Metro), San Giovanni Laterano and Santa Maria Maggiore. And some smaller interesting churches like San Clemente with its Mithric Temple, Sancti Quattro Coronati, San Andrea al Quirinale, La Maddelena, Santa Cecilia and Santa Maria in Trastevere and the Moses Statue in San Pietro ad Vincoli. Eat in Testaccio, the heart of Roman style cooking. Checchino dal 1887 for a fine dining experience or Perilli for a more moderate one. See an offbeat museum like the Museum of Criminology near the Via Guilia or the Museum of Mario Praz near the Piazza Navona.
Aug 22nd, 2003, 09:13 AM

I would also recommend Santa Maria Sopra Minerva. It's Rome's only gothic church. The ceilings are marvelous. Plus there's a statue of Christ the Redeemer by Michaelangelo.
Aug 22nd, 2003, 10:53 AM

Have you climbed the stairs to the top of St. Peters? Great view! Especially the part where you are on the walkway inside the cupola looking down at the altar - everyone looks like ants.
Go early.
Aug 22nd, 2003, 11:15 AM

Even if you're not Catholic, seeing the Pope can be a thrill. "When in Rome...)
Aug 24th, 2003, 11:17 PM

Boulder, here is an excerpt from my trip report from last year. Maybe one or two things we did will interest you.

Since this was our 4th time to Rome, we made a point to see some of the sights we had missed the first 3 times. We made reservations from the U.S. via the Internet for the Domus Aurea (http://www.selectitaly.com), the Borghese Gallery (http://www.ticketeria.it/main-eng.htm) and the Scavi Tour ([email protected]) under Saint Peters.

The rooms at the Borghese Gallery are incredible, with the frescoed ceilings as much of a draw as the painting and sculptures. Your time inside is limited to only 2 hours. To make the most of it, I suggest you rent the digitally recorded audio tour, which will direct you to the most important pieces.

Don't walk, RUN to the Scavi tour. This was my favorite organized activity. It was absolutely fascinating to see the pagan tombs on which San Pietro was built, as well as learn the history of the Vatican. We chatted afterward with our guide, a priest, from Alabama, who gave us a great restaurant recommendation for dinner.

There was one more museum that I particularly want to mention because I was so blown away. It is the Museo Nazionale at the Palazzo Massimo (in Largo Di Villa Peretti, on your left as you come out of Stazione Termini).

On the top floor they have rooms that were taken from various Roman villas and reconstructed as they were in their original locations. We are talking entire frescoed walls and ceilings painted from 1700-2000 years ago. They are in great condition and the colors are so vibrant. Almost as great as the reconstructed mosaics, which are so detailed, they almost look like paintings.

When you buy your ticket to the museum, it will be printed with a time that you can enter the top floor. You can explore the ground and first floors at your leisure, but the top floor is only by appointment with limited small groups and a guide. The tour is in Italian and English. If you are at all interested in seeing how some of the rooms in the barren Roman ruins looked in their original state, this is the place.

BEST VIEWS: Without a doubt, go to the top of the Vittorio Emanuale monument (the giant white building next to Piazza Venezia on the Capitoline Hill). I can't believe it was my first time up there. The views from the Pinco and the Gianicolo hills are classic, but the views from here are unsurpassed.

Also, check out the rooftop garden of Hotel Minerva. We had an aperitivo up there at about 6pm one evening and the views are excellent. In one direction you can see the Gianicolo hill (you can just make out the statue of the horse and rider high on the hill); in another you can also see the dome of St. Peter's and various other churches, one that is kind of wedding-cakey in the shape of a spiral. The coolest thing is that you can see the dome of the Pantheon from behind. I found it interesting to see how the dome was designed from the outside, not as a smooth curve, but as a series of steps that follow the curve of the internal dome. A different perspective on a familiar site.
Aug 25th, 2003, 03:04 AM
dumas1870

San Clemente - 12th Century Brasilica sits atop a 4th Century christian church which sits atop a 2nd Century Mithraic Temple. Several deep tunnels, an underground stream and burial place of St. Cyril. On via San Giovanni. Metro: Colosseo.

Aug 25th, 2003, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone who responded with all the great suggestions on things to do.
Aug 25th, 2003, 02:47 PM

I went to Nero's house (near Colosseum) on Domus Aurea. You might need reservations. I made one the day before. It is interesting, and within walking distance of the center, so you won't need to spend more than 2 hours of your time.