Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   great theatreinLondon and eats (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/great-theatreinlondon-and-eats-202402/)

belle Apr 19th, 2002 05:48 PM

great theatreinLondon and eats

we'll be in London in early May and want great theatre. Already have tix for Stones i His Pockets. What about My Fair Lady?, or Blood Brothers, or any other musicals or dramas. We are not particularly into Shakespeare.....Also, good ethnic (not Indian, I don't like it)restaurants in theatre district; don't have to be too pricey but good and some atmosphere would be fine. Thanks.

JJ Apr 19th, 2002 06:37 PM

Blood Brothers and Les Miserables are both very good IMO.

belle Apr 19th, 2002 06:45 PM

thx. Heard that Blood Bros is a 'dark musical' can't quite figure out what that would mean as a theatregoer experience. can you help? we saw Les Mis on Broadway years ago and loved it, but not to see again.

JJ Apr 19th, 2002 07:10 PM

I guess Blood Brothers would be considered 'dark' because of the storyline. You will need a hanky, but I love the music and there's a lot of laughter in it too.<BR><BR>As far as Les Mis, I guess I'm just an addict where it's concerned - saw it once on Broadway and three times in London.

ggrant Apr 19th, 2002 09:03 PM

Saw Full Monty last month. It was very, very good. Chitty chitty Bang Bang got great reviews and I have booked it for my next trip. I really recommend full Monty, very funny and the music great.

Cleeas Apr 20th, 2002 04:40 AM

Doesn't anyone want to tell belle about the fine "eateries" in which she'll get good English "eats"?

Ben Haines Apr 20th, 2002 05:50 AM

Please can you say, ethnic what ? English, Chinese, Italian, Thai, or what ? Not Indian, I see. If you will explain, I shall be glad to try to answer in part.<BR><BR>Ben Haines, London

Elizabeth Apr 20th, 2002 11:39 AM

I saw The Humble Boy last summer, with Diana Rigg in it, at the Royal Naitonal Theatre, and I see it's at another theatre now. From my point of view it's a full meal--an original, grownup real play with some humor, great acting, and a somewhat Hamlet-ish plt where an adult man and his mom with a new boyfriend are concerned. <BR><BR> I also went to some other thing at the South Bank. (a restoration comedy directed by Trevor Nunn, The Relapse, doubt it's still playing) I had such luck with just going over there at around 6:30, seeing what I could get a ticket to and then scaring up some food, or getting on a list and chatting with people, that I recommend it--I love it over there and both things I saw were super.

mpprh Apr 20th, 2002 12:37 PM

Hi<BR><BR>Can't say much about current theatre.<BR><BR>But when we lived in UK, we always ate before or after in Chinatown, Soho.<BR><BR>It is adjacent to the theatre area and has genuine top quality chinese food at a reasonable price.<BR><BR>Try Gerrard Street ........ choice of about 30 Restaurants.<BR><BR>Peter<BR><BR>

Judy Apr 20th, 2002 01:16 PM

Saw MFL, and Mamma Mia in March, loved them both. Found 2 very good restaurants: Italian- Vasco & Piero's Pavillion (Soho), and La Deuxieme(French) on Longacre(Covent Garden), both were very very good!<BR>Judy

dave Apr 20th, 2002 02:55 PM

We just saw "The Play Wot I Wrote." Very funny. Don't believe people who tell you you need to know the original comedy team to appreciate it. I didn't, and loved the play. <BR><BR>Good place to eat in the West End is Rules. You probably need reservations.

belle Apr 20th, 2002 05:04 PM

Hi Ben,<BR>thanks for your help: Thai; Italian; Chinese. Any of those would be fine.<BR><BR>Thanks to everyone else for theatre recommendations and restaurants.

geri Apr 20th, 2002 05:46 PM

Blood Brothers--saw it some time ago in London--story of two brothers separated at birth, one grows up in poverty, one in wealth. Sad ending, great music.

Penny Apr 21st, 2002 01:42 PM

How about "The Mousetrap"?

Jen Apr 22nd, 2002 09:33 AM

We were in London in Feb. & saw two great plays: Tartuffe at the RNT (closed now, sadly) & Lady Windemere's Fan at the Theatre Royal Haymarket. Lady Windemere's Fan is standard Oscar Wilde--lavishly executed & quite entertaining.

belle Apr 28th, 2002 09:30 AM

for good dining (not "eats" as I gauchely said at first, sorry about that!), near Garrick theatre or Duke of York's theatre???? your suggestions, please?<BR><BR>Also, is Rule's really terrific? Stuffy atmosphere or not? <BR><BR>Does anyone know, Nahm (upscale Thai) and where it may be r/t theatres? Or, is Ivy relatively close by? Or, Gay Hussar?<BR><BR>Okay, that's it for the moment. Thanks!!