Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   "Great Streets" (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/great-streets-443575/)

francophile03 Jun 18th, 2004 07:31 PM

"Great Streets"

I just turned the channel here in SF and was surprised to see a show called "Great Streets". And they've featured the Champs Elysees with Halle Berry tonight. It's on a public TV channel here. Never heard of this series before.

P_M Jun 18th, 2004 07:37 PM

I've only watched that show a few times and it's now one of my favorite travel shows, when I can find it. I know this has come up on other threads before, but I really miss the days when the Travel Channel had good shows like this instead of "World Poker Tour," and other such garbage. Thank God for public TV!!

cigalechanta Jun 18th, 2004 07:42 PM

I saw that long ago but never again! Here, PBS is ch.2

kybourbon Jun 18th, 2004 07:43 PM

I was surprised to find Ian and the Lonely Planet series on PBS the other night. I haven't seen Great Streets but will watch for it.

P_M Jun 18th, 2004 07:46 PM

Francophile03, I was watching the very depressing world news, but you inspired me to change the channel to public TV to see what's on. Right now they are broadcasting a wonderful show on Norway. What a refreshing change, this is bringing back teriffic memories of my trip there. Thanks!!

francophile03 Jun 18th, 2004 07:46 PM

This may be of help: here in San Francisco it's on Ch. 17 (KCSM). But I think there's only 15 mins. left.

To P_M there always seems to be a poker tourney on the Travel Channel.

francophile03 Jun 18th, 2004 07:49 PM

Dear P_M, I'm glad you are able to forego the ever-depressing world news and think about your Norweigian trip!

P_M Jun 18th, 2004 07:50 PM

Kybourbon, what I wouldn't give to see Ian again!! I'll keep an eye out for the Lonely Planet on PBS.

Francophile, you are so right, and if it's not poker, it's water parks, theme parks, or something equally boring.

travelchick Jun 18th, 2004 08:01 PM

My PBS station airs a show called Globe Trekker, and one of the presenters is named Ian, is he the same person as on Lonely Planet? If so, I love him! He's my favorite of all the "trekkers." :)

kybourbon Jun 18th, 2004 08:05 PM

Yay! I found the schedule and Venice GRand CAnal with Nathan Lane is going to be on 7/30 at 2 am

Norway with Ian on 7/4 at 11 pm

I typed in the call letters for my local pbs station (ket) and .org and was able to find the schedules. The Lonely Planet series is listed under Globetrekker so click on G.

francophile03 Jun 18th, 2004 08:06 PM

During a commercial break, there was a Globe Trekker ad and they're promising new episodes. It showed a very slim guy; would that be Ian?

francophile03 Jun 18th, 2004 08:23 PM

Oh my, Rachael Ray (Food Channel) is in Amsterdam! And on my Ch. 17 they're showing Globe Trekker in Hong Kong and Taiwan.
Travel Channel pales by comparison as they say.

francophile03 Jun 18th, 2004 08:26 PM

What luck, I just found out Rachael Ray (didn't mention it's her $40 a day show) has another episode next and she'll be in Florence! I won't be changing the channel for a while.

kybourbon Jun 18th, 2004 08:38 PM

Check out pilotguides.com for info on the new Globetrekker series with Ian.

I've seen Rachel's $40 Florence and Rome. She's not listed on my PBS. Or did you mean you are watching the food channel?

There are some Conde Nast shows listed on PBS though - Provence etc.

francophile03 Jun 18th, 2004 08:39 PM

kybourbon, I'm looking at the Food Network (I said Food Channel-sorry).

cigalechanta Jun 18th, 2004 08:43 PM

SO, you are not talking basic cable?

Betsy Jun 18th, 2004 08:50 PM

Oh rats, just found this post with ten minutes left in the $40/day program. Neat views of Florence.

kybourbon Jun 18th, 2004 09:05 PM

Mimi - The travel shows would be on WGBH 44 in your area. Tomorrow (6/19)is Mongolia at 11 am.

www.wgbh.org

The Rachel Ray $40 a day is on the cable channel food network.

Underhill Jun 19th, 2004 10:10 AM

Oh, to have the national PBS feed again! Ever since we were required to take the local station we rarely watch because so much is stuff like Lawrence Welk and infomercials and self-help stuff. thank goodness for A&E, Bravo, and the BBC.

wondering Jun 19th, 2004 01:01 PM

back to great streets for a moment...is it only on public broadcst stations? has anyone else seen it? please advise! thanks!