Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Great Southern Hotels? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/great-southern-hotels-165757/)

Buck Feb 28th, 2002 04:04 PM

Great Southern Hotels?

We have a CIE tour in early May, and they have us booked at to Great Southern Hotels, anyone stayed and how are they, sounds like an American Chain to me. Galway and Killarney. Seems no one on this board likes Killarney, why? and why would the tour take us there if its so bad? Thanks for any help, Buck

kam Feb 28th, 2002 04:19 PM

The Great Southern Hotels are not really a chain because there's only a few of them, but they are the grand old railroad hotels of Ireland, started to provide luxury accomodations for railroad passengers in times past. We just stayed at the one in Galway 2 years ago and it's probably one of the best places in town. Killarney one should be comparable. People don't like Killarney because there are too many tourists. But there are too many tourists because people like Killarney. It's a pretty small town which becomes overwhelmed in the summer months. Lots of visitors, not just Americans. In early May it should be quite nice. It was a delight in October when we were last there. The same thing happens to SF. It's a delight when the tourists aren't here, but when they come in the summer, they overwhelm the rather small city and make it terribly dirty and crowded. Go and enjoy Killarney. Ride in a jaunting cart to Muckross House and see Muchross Abbey. When you do, remember that "muckross" means the peninsula of the pigs. Have fun.:~)

Mese Mar 2nd, 2002 11:53 AM

Thanks for the review on Great Southern Hotels...will be staying at some on my CIE tour this March. Also will be visiting Killarney and can't wait to see it! It really cracks me up when people say that there are "too many tourists"....what do they think THEY are? Have a great trip Buck....I hope to!

Al Mar 2nd, 2002 12:24 PM

The Great Southern Hotel in Killarney is like visiting a piece of the past -- a big wedding-cake of a place with soft green paint over great scoops of plasterwork. Be sure you go to one of the "singing pubs" at night -- up on the main street. Lots of fun!

Buck Mar 3rd, 2002 03:38 PM

How is the smoke in the Pubs, I know the Irish are big smokers, any comment on someone who has been? Thanks, Buck

KATHY Mar 3rd, 2002 04:35 PM

IF I AM NOT MISTAKEN THERE ARE TWO GREAT SOUTHERN HOTELS IN KILARNEY AND ONE IS FAR SUPERIOR TO THE OTHER.

buck Mar 5th, 2002 03:11 PM

Hi Kathy,<BR>The Great Southern Hotel we have booked near the river by a bridge. Is this the good or the not so good one? Thanks for the info, Buck

Bill Mar 5th, 2002 03:20 PM

Mese:<BR><BR>Trust me, if you were there in July, you would think there were too many tourists. It's not that they are tourists, but rather, that it is just plain crowded. March will be wonderful, though a bit cool and probably wet, but that's what Ireland is. The best photos I have of Ireland were on rainy, cool days.<BR><BR>I always go in May and it's wonderful, so Buck should enjoy it too. Have a great time!!!<BR><BR>Bill