Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Great restaurants in Scotland (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/great-restaurants-in-scotland-308258/)

kcapuani Apr 18th, 2003 07:46 AM

Great restaurants in Scotland

Can anyone recommend their favorite restaurants in Edinburgh, Inverness, around Argyll or on Skye? I am trying to come up with a list of "must try" places for a vacation this May. I am not necessarily concerned about the type of cuisine but the quality and the atmosphere of the restaurant.

Judyrem Apr 18th, 2003 09:17 AM

We loved the Tower restaurant, great food, and views of Edinburgh Castle. Judy ;-)

SugarPlum Apr 18th, 2003 09:58 AM

I was in Edinburgh in February, and a restaurant that we really enjoyed was Cafe St. Honore, in New Town on Thistle Street Lane, I believe. It's a little hard to find, but well worth the search. Excellent French menu and atmosphere. <BR><BR>We also enjoyed at The Witchery -- it gets a lot of boo's on this forum, but the atmosphere can't be beat and I felt that the food was good.

sheila Apr 18th, 2003 10:21 AM

Edinburgh- The Marque (and the Marque Central) Rogue and the Tower.<BR><BR>Inverness- nowhere. the Dower House at Muir of Ord is OK.<BR><BR>Argyll is a big bit of land, but here goes- the Harbour on Islay, the Pierhouse at Port Appin, the Loch Melfort, Kilcamb Lodge at Strontian<BR><BR>Skye- the Eilean Iarmain and the incomparable Three Chimneys.

Snoopy Apr 18th, 2003 12:37 PM

Whenever this question comes up, I always post the same thing: Prestonfield House, I really like the atmosphere there. Yet, I think I'm the only one that suggests it. So maybe it's changed quite a bit since 1998 or maybe my taste is rotten.<BR><BR>Sheila . . . comment?

sheila Apr 18th, 2003 12:49 PM

I haven't been in the place in 20 years. Sorry. No idea.

sheila Apr 18th, 2003 01:29 PM

Was that sarcasm? Did you miss the fact I was replying to a question?

RosemaryM Apr 18th, 2003 04:23 PM

Hi,<BR>Like Sheila I recommend the Three Chimneys on Skye. Great food, great service, expensive but worth it.<BR>Also Creaghan House in Strathyre, near Callander, maybe not in your area but a fantastic baronial type hall and great food.<BR>Have fun in Scotland, can't wait for next year when I will be back.<BR>Rosemary

asbury10 Apr 18th, 2003 04:40 PM

In Edinburgh, up on the Royal Mile near the Castle is a restaurant called The Witchery. Real ambience and atmosphere. A bit more expensive than most, but a nice end to a day of touring. Not too far down the street is a moderate place, Caffe Uno, which serves good meals at moderate prices. I ate there a lot when I stayed in the hotel ibis around the corner.

Snoopy Apr 21st, 2003 01:35 PM

sheila . . . was 'what' sarcasm? I was curious if you knew anything about it.<BR><BR>Snoopy

sheila Apr 21st, 2003 01:40 PM

Not you, sweetie. A rude person Fodors has deleted. (actually they were so obscure they maybe weren't being rude, but I wouldn't put any money on it:))

Maira Apr 21st, 2003 01:48 PM

In Inverness, my husband and I had great meals and superb service at the restaurant in The Beaufort Hotel. Close to the Inverness Castle (11 Culduthel Road), I still remembered the most delicious marinated, slowly roasted chicken; my husband raved about his Aberdeen Angus Steak. Very good prices, the hotel is OK, the restaurant food was superb and the service outstanding. <BR><BR>I loved the area of Inverness; so much to see and enjoy with fascinating history, genuinely friendly people and breathtaking natural beauty. Can't wait to return!!

kcapuani Apr 21st, 2003 01:59 PM

I looked into the Three Chimneys and it sounds fabulous! <BR><BR>Where is the Prestonfield House?

sheila Apr 21st, 2003 02:31 PM

In Edinburgh

Gardyloo Apr 21st, 2003 03:21 PM

Haven't been there in several years, but we'd go back to the Vintner's Rooms in Leith (Edinburgh) in a shot - one of the prettiest rooms going, great food, very romantic. Sort of French.<BR><BR>I also think it's hard to beat the old Cafe Royal in Edin. for good food in the grandest of settings. Try the Oyster Bar - watch &quot;Chariots of Fire&quot; before you go. Bring money.

Danna Apr 21st, 2003 05:51 PM

Edinburgh... Stac Polly on Dublin Street. We lucked out by dropping by earlier than the reservation folks. I suggest you make reservations. It was great!

clayrr Apr 22nd, 2003 06:48 AM

Ditto Snoopy's comment: I wanted Prestonfield House Hotel to be MY suggestion! Except it wasn't 1998 when I was there; it was 1978. I was a teenaged lad (and traveling with my MOTHER! of all things), but I still remember that fine place. Set on beautiful grounds (their golf course was laid out like the four suits in cards: spades, hearts, etc.), the dining room was dark and quiet and lovely. I remember the kick of having Guinea Hen for the first time (no wonder I became a chef).<BR>The hotel is --as I recall-- a 10-or-so-minute taxi ride from central Edinburgh, and if it's still there I'd recommend it very highly.

Snoopy Apr 22nd, 2003 08:41 AM

clarr, I was there for the first time in 1978 . . . May. And I signed the guest register Mr. and Mrs. Bozo the Clown. Uh . . . maybe the second bottle of Clos du Bois was too much.

clayrr Apr 22nd, 2003 09:44 AM

Snoopy, <BR>And I wonder why people think Americans are odd...

libuse Apr 22nd, 2003 09:56 AM

The Witchery is an essential. One of the best meals I've ever had (therefore beating Marco Pierre White et al). Also whats really cool in Edinburgh is lots of little independent brasseries that do great set lunches for not much money, but lots of atmosphere and nice people. Not sure of any names as I am normally taken by a friend who lives in Edinburgh, but &quot;Jacques&quot; rings a bell.