Reload this Page >

Great prices to France

Search

Great prices to France

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 11:33 AM
Jenn

Great prices to France

My partner and I are going to Paris in the beginning of March 2003.<BR><BR>I found a deal for the Marais hotel 6 days/5 nights with roundtrip air for $660 per person.<BR><BR>My post before was apparently too controversial before because it went poof, so I am going to re-phrase.<BR><BR>We have the books and watched the specials on Food tv in preparation. Any other tips for travel? <BR><BR>Neither my partner or I have ever been out of the country. I don't even have a passport!

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 12:09 PM
k

Um...get your passport?<BR><BR>I think to get people to answer, you'll have to be more specific about what information you need.<BR><BR>Do a search on this board for Paris, and you will get all kinds of information for planning your trip - almost any question you may have has probably already been asked and answered here!<BR><BR>You will love Paris! So relax, have a good time, and enjoy the next few months of planning!<BR><BR>Karen

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 12:32 PM
Christina

What books do you have? I don't watch food TV so don't know about that, but the only other thing I can think of is to get some good guidebooks and do some planning ahead of time in case of days of closure or something for things very important to you.<BR><BR>For example, if food is really important to you (which maybe it is because you watch food TV), you might want to get Patricia Well's book &quot;A Food Lover's Guide to Paris&quot; which is good for restaurant recommendations and shops.<BR><BR>Given your interests and demographics, I would suggest you view www.timeout.com as they have a good website geared towards younger and special interests with good recommendations on cafes, bars, entertainment, etc. Unfortunately, I think they've started removing some of the good stuff from their web site so you have to buy the book now (like info on attractions, neighborhoods, etc.). Here is some special interest Paris info you might find useful:<BR><BR>http://www.frommers.com/destinations/paris/0062023637.html<BR>http://www.europeguidebook.com/france/regions/ile/paris/fr_paris_gay.cfm<BR>(that site has good sections within in on bars, clubs, etc)<BR><BR>Other than that, get a passport immediately, at least apply right after the holidays. I'd also suggest you get a French travelers' phrasebook or even study a little French before going (nothing elaborate, just a tape or CD you can get at the library or something).

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 12:37 PM
elaine

Jenn<BR>what info do you have on the hotel?<BR>Street address, amenities, etc.<BR>Just because it's called the Marais doesn't mean that it's actually in that charming neighborhood. If it is, then at least you know the location is good, and also very gay/lesbian friendly I have heard.<BR><BR>If you go elsewhere here at fodors.com, look under &quot;Destinations&quot; , click on Paris, and you will find a lot of basic information and tips. I also have a file on Paris; if you'd like to see it, email me.<BR><BR>By the way, I checked on Amazon, Frommers publishes a travel book called Frommers Gay and Lesbian Europe. Also, if you go to frommers.com and click on Gay and Lesbian, I see that there are some special G/L travel tips.<BR>I'm sure there must be some gay travel message boards as well.<BR><BR>I don't know what general info the G/L specialty books provide , but you definitely need a good general guidebook for Paris, and I think Fodor's guidebook for Paris is excellent. You also need a map.<BR><BR>good luck

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 03:57 PM
Jenn

Thanks for the infor! We ordered all the gay firendly books we could find, as well as the &quot;normal&quot; ones.<BR><BR>wow, I slay me.<BR><BR>Thanks again. Oh and I listed the hotel: It's the Jardin de Paris Marais 3 stars in District 4

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 04:08 PM
xxx

<BR><BR>Try to learn at least the basic pleasantries in French, like Good Day, Please, Thank You, etc.

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 04:11 PM
Clueless

I dont understand why you have to worry so much about lesbian friendly places. You are two women traveling together, so act like you would in any world class city. <BR>Have class and manners and who cares what you do in your hotel room?

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 04:48 PM
Tim C.

Hi Jenn,<BR> My partner and I fell in love with Paris. We will return in March 2003 and will be staying at the Hotel lux Picpus. It is located in the 12th district- not far from the Bastille area. The memories that I recall of Paris are walking along the Seine, wandering the Marais at 1am and stumbling into a 14th century (circa) Church (iglese?) and being overwhelmed by the quiet and holiness of the place,and climbing to and around the Montmarte and Sacre Cour in the evening. The Lourve is outstanding, if not overwhelming. The beauty of the city itself can disarm those of us not accustomed to such stellar beauty. Soak in their culture. Learn a few simple phrases and they will welcome you with open arms. Dine as they do- 2 hour lunches and be sure to drink bottled water (Badoit is good) and plenty of Bordeaux(mmm). Don't anticipate getting tap water with your meal, even if you ask for it. Have a great time in the city that voted for an openly gay mayor. Tim