'Heavy rain' forecast in Grindelwald :(

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2011, 02:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any suggestions for what to do in Grindelwald in the rain on our first full day? The family votes for sleeping off jet lag. I guess we could start our souvenir shopping and buy lots of chocolate to drown our sorrows as we sit on our balcony not seeing the mountains! It will be a good fondue day!

I'd rather be in Switzerland in the rain than home in the rain, but if there suggestions to keep 2 teenagers happy, I'm happy to hear them!

Leaving tomorrow, and rain or no, I'm so excited!!!
Old Jun 27th, 2011, 02:49 AM
Original Poster

I just remembered our hotel includes something with a sports center in Grindelwald. Anyone ever been there?
Old Jun 27th, 2011, 02:50 AM

Look on the bright side. The predictions aren't merely for rain, but thunderstorms - maybe big ones. Which actually isn't such a bad thing - have you ever seen a strong thunderstorm in the Alps? They can be pretty spectacular and worth watching (from a safe place). And the storms are expected to cool the temps down for the following days so you can be extra active the rest of your trip. Plus, if they end before early evening on Wednesday, you could have a stunning sunset.
Bring something to read for the first day and the teenagers can bring whatever would amuse them for a few hours.
Old Jun 27th, 2011, 02:56 AM

FYI, if you're going to be online in your G-wald accommodations, check this link for radar reports showing where the storms are:
http://www.meteoschweiz.admin.ch/web...age_radar.html

(www.meteoschweiz.ch has all the other weather info as well)
Old Jun 27th, 2011, 03:25 AM
Original Poster

FoFoBt...I love optimists! It does sound like it could be rather spectacular the way you put it.

I was on top of Mont Blanc in a horrendous thunderstorm once and was scared to death. We could see the lightening bounce off the side of the mountain! Maybe this time we'll stay a bit more out of the way!

Thanks for lightening the mood (pun intended!)
Old Jun 29th, 2011, 09:55 AM

kwren, if you're checking here - how was it? As rainy as you feared? Any thunderstorms?
Old Jun 29th, 2011, 10:00 AM

Aren't you going to bring rain gear with you?

The BO is a hiker's haven.

You should have a water-proof rucksack with you. Inside you should have some sort of water-proof rain jacket with hood. (I have one from Patagonia. It folds up to the size of a large envelope.)

I hope you aren't going to be like the ridiculous folks from NJ I met on a train last year. They were planning on walking around the Sychnige Platte if flip-flops!

STOOPID!!!!!!!!!!

This ain't the Paramus Mall, Miss Thing.

Cheer up, it isn't that bad, sweetie darling.

P-P
Old Jun 29th, 2011, 10:43 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's your plan for a rainy day, Click on the link below (my trip report from Switzerland. Under Day Seven. Check out Trummelbachfalle (a waterfall that is actually inside). It is the perfect place to go during inclement weather. Not too far a drive from Grindelwald.

http://www.travelswithmaitaitom.com/...itzerland.html

Old Jun 29th, 2011, 11:59 AM

Take the train and explore Berne, you can keep dry under the arcades
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 08:46 PM
Original Poster

The thunder storms did come through but it was through the night. The next morning it was overcast (any mountains out there?) and a bit drizzling so we had a leisurely breakfast and walked around the town. We went up to Pfistengg to ride the rodelbahn in the afternoon once the rain stopped.

Maitai - your page wouldn't come up, but I remember reading it before. Just didn't specifically remember what you did in Grindelwald.

P-p glad I'm not from NJ!