Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Great British Heritage Pass arrived, but its a voucher???

Feb 4th, 2004, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Hello all,

I took advantage of the 30% off the GBH pass. I ordered it from www.britrail.com. It arrived today, but instead of it looking like the pass on the websites, it looks more like a plane ticket (the same size) it says it is an ACP Marketing Voucher and asks to validate it at the first attraction.

What I am wondering is this the actual pass and if not, where do I go to get the pass from the voucher?

Thanks so much for any help you might have.

Jerilyn
Feb 4th, 2004, 08:11 AM

It's the actual pass - mine was the same way. They vaildate it at the first place you use it so that will be the start date to count from to determine when it expires. Supposedly every attraction you use it at is supposed to stamp their name on the back so at the end of your trip you have a record of all the GBHP sites you visited, but not every place actually does that. At the Tower of London you still have to pay half even with the pass.
Feb 4th, 2004, 10:42 AM

Yep - sometimes I receive the credit card sized pass and sometimes the paper ticket. I can't seem to figure out the rhyme/reason for that. I much prefer the card - the paper ticket can get pretty tatty by the time you've used it 10 or 15 times. One advantage of the paper one tho' is you can write on the back the admission charge at each property you visit and have a wonderful accounting of how much money you saved (which is usually a lot).

In actuality, very few places stamp the back, especially if they are busy and there is a queue waiting to buy tickets.
Feb 4th, 2004, 11:09 AM
KT

Janis, do you recall whether when you've used the paper ticket you've had to have the ticket jacket with it? It says you do -- on either the ticket or the jacket, can't remember which -- but I'd rather just fold up the flimsy little ticket and stick it in my wallet. (In the past, I've bought the pass in Britain and gotten the card, which I too prefer, but this time I bought it in the US during the sale, so it's paper.)
Feb 4th, 2004, 11:27 AM

If you mean just the paper covers (I don't know about any "jacket" like a separate sleeve for an airline ticket). Whenever I've received the paper ticket I always left the paper cover on. It folds up just as easily as the pass and helps protect it a little bit. It takes a fair amount of abuse and the paper covers seem to help.
Feb 4th, 2004, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I was just surprised when it came