Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Great Britain Heritage Pass (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/great-britain-heritage-pass-149109/)

Jamila Jan 27th, 2002 08:43 AM

Great Britain Heritage Pass

Is it worth it buy this pass? Do you really get free admission to all the big castles?

janis Jan 27th, 2002 09:38 AM

Yes, Yes, yes -- UNLESS your trip is limited to the center of London. There are saving in London but not anywhere like the savings outside of the metropolis. <BR><BR>If you are spending as few as 4 , full days in the country, the 7-day pass is a bargain, 10 - 12 days makes a 15 day pass economical, and over 20 days you jump up to the 30 day pass. <BR><BR>I get the Heritage Pass everytime I go to the UK 9unless it is a short London theater break) and always keep track of how much I've saved. It averages OVER 100%. Sometimes when I am going to areas that are "site-heavy" such as Kent, The area between Bath and Portsmouth, N. Wales and the midlands, Nothumberland or Edinburgh the savings easily approaches 200%. <BR><BR>The biggest savings come from the non-public owned places such as Longleat, Blenheim, Windsor, Warwick, Chatsworth, Castle Howard, etc since thir admission prices are up to the 9 - 11 GBP range. One day in Warwick and Stratford upon Avon will almost fully pay for a 7 day Heritage Pass.

jpm Jan 28th, 2002 07:38 AM

IN TOTAL AGREEMENT WITH JANIS!!!!<BR><BR>In London it isn't such a good deal, but you can get your money's worth. It covers half the price for the Tower, admission to the National Maritime Museum in Greenwich, and entry into Hampton Court (three biggies) as well as several smaller places - Royal Mews and Banqueting Hall (in my opinion, not worth paying to see unless you can get in on the pass).<BR><BR>Outside of London you will very quickly recoup your money. <BR><BR>But be aware, it gets dicey if buying the pass for a child. I bought one for my 12 year old nephew and found that while we did recoup our money, that he had free entry to many places.<BR><BR>jpm<BR>travelogues at www.appleberryroad.com

janis Jan 28th, 2002 08:37 AM

jpm - thanks for adding the info about Kids. I should have included that -- <BR><BR>For senior citizens the pass is still a bargain. They get consessions at most sites but the Pass is still cheaper.<BR><BR>But for children under 12 it probably doesn't save anything

Terry West Jan 30th, 2002 03:54 PM

We would highly recommend the Great Britain Heritage Pass, particularly for longer trips, and those outside of London. We have been using it for years, and pay $130 Canadian, and usually take in $450-500 worth of sites in a month. Also they provide a good index of the 500+ sites that are covered including English Heritage, and National Trust sites. It is helpful for planning your trip, particularly if you are concentrating on a couple of areas such as Yorkshire, or Cornwall.

MDaniels Jan 30th, 2002 04:54 PM

We stopped counting after we reached double what the pass cost... that in just 7 days, outside London. If we'd known, we would have bought it earlier for Hampton Ct. etc. in London area.<BR><BR>Go for it!<BR><BR>Also good for the little things - would you really pay $C 5.00 to see that little cottage? Free with the pass.