Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Great Britain for 4 months - need help with itenerary (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/great-britain-for-4-months-need-help-with-itenerary-1671842/)

casjay Sep 15th, 2019 03:43 PM

Great Britain for 4 months - need help with itenerary

My husband and I are sailing to Great Britain in late April arriving early May and then leaving by cruise ship on September 11. We are having challenges deciding where to go, when and for how long. Currently we have an apartment in London booked for the month of June and have tickets for Wimbledon and want to go to Royal Ascot too. The only other set date is the Highland Games at the beginning of August and have a hotel now for a few days near by. Ideally we go somewhere and do day trips or at least a week at a time so we are not constantly packing and unpacking. Should we spend May in the Lakes area or southern England and Wales? Should we go to Scotland directly after London and end in early August or do it for the month of August and somewhere else for July? We are active runners so hikes sound good and possibly some bike riding. I would love to stay in at least 1 castle while there. Ideas for looong trips to the British Isles. Hubby is open to renting a car some in rural areas, but loves trains and we want some coast time too.

janisj Sep 15th, 2019 04:14 PM

OK -- your options are (quite literally) limitless. There is no way anyone can make suggestions. The only things I know from your post are 1) you have a nice long time, 2) you are runners, and 3) probably have a pretty generous budget.

You need to get some guide books and decide where you want to go -- then decide if it is possible to do those things predominately by rail.

Regions you might want to study include Kent/East Sussex, the Cotswolds, East Anglia, the South Coast, some of the Southwest (Cornwall/Devon/Somerset), North and west coast of Wales, York/Yorkshire Dales, the Lakes, Northumberland, the Borders, Edinburgh. . . . and several other regions of Scotland. Some of these areas can be done by train -- but if you are staying in most any rural area you really would want a car

Which Highland Games?

almcd Sep 19th, 2019 10:17 AM

When in Scotland, consider going to the Isle of Arran. It is a 50 minute train trip from Glasgow, followed by a 55 minute ferry journey. There are numerous places to stay and the hiking and mountain climbing are superb. Also, there are some bike rental places which would allow you to cycle around the island. It is a popular tourist destination and is reputed to be “Scotland in miniature”

lynny2 Oct 9th, 2019 07:58 AM

GB Itinerary

Don't forget the Edinburgh Festival while you are in Scotland, which is on during August. You must go to The Lake District if you enjoy walking and beautiful scenery. The only problem is that it will be very crowded during the school holidays (mid July to end August). You could look at Askham Hall for a mediaeval Manor House or The Drunken Duck near Ambleside would make a good base.
Devon and Cornwall are delightful and there is a continuous coastal footpath that affords wonderful views.

bilboburgler Oct 9th, 2019 09:03 AM

If you want to cycle you might look out the sustrans map https://www.sustrans.org.uk/
walking,there are thousands of miles of walks. https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/
county shows
County Shows & Country Fairs Guide | UK Country Shows 2019

janisj Oct 9th, 2019 09:17 AM

I don't think the OP is reading -- hasn't been back. (did the same thing on her only other ever thread)

StCirq Oct 9th, 2019 11:46 AM

Waste of time to respond to this OP.

lavandula Oct 9th, 2019 01:48 PM

Patience - the OP could be in a different time zone that isn't awake when you are (like mine for instance, I have just woken up).

Lavandula

SusanP Oct 9th, 2019 04:17 PM

The OP posted almost a month ago, so I don't think time zone has anything to do with it. Some people come and want us to just plan all or most of their itinerary and don't like it when people suggest that they do some research.

lavandula Oct 9th, 2019 07:57 PM

Oops, I did not see that - well, maybe the OP should come back and give some more guidance, I agree.

Lavandula

StCirq Oct 10th, 2019 03:00 AM

I'm in a different time zone too, but it's not a month behind the USA.

casjay Oct 10th, 2019 10:36 AM

Sorry I have not responded quicker because at first I thought people thought my question was a waste of time! So thank you to all who have responded with ideas.
I was thinking of the Isle of Arran after seeing a recent article so will look closer at it.
Question with the Lake District. We could possibly go in May when we first land or wait till July. The challenge is - is the Lake District's weather enjoyable in May? My husband loves to sail and I believe he could sail on Lake Windemere, but would it be a miserable weather for sailing - rainy and cold = miserable sailing.
A really big thank you to the person who told me about Sustrans. I had not seen them anywhere and the Bristol to Bath route sounds like the Katy Trail we have here in Missouri that I love to ride on.

I did check back for the first week or so daily and for some reason only saw the first response and was unsure how to respond so I never did. We are not rich, just younger retirees who want to slowly visit the world and decided to start in a less intimidating part of the world. But when you suddenly have lots of time, you can get tied up in all the options! Our goal is to spend $100 US nightly for room - London is above and to cook a lot of our own meals to save cost and calories.

bilboburgler Oct 11th, 2019 12:18 AM

In London it is possible to stay in a nice place for less than £80 a night, I'd look at premierinn.com or yha.org.uk Probably best to start thinking in £ sterling as US dollars are not accepted here for most things

In the yha you can rent double rooms, in premierinn they have "flexible pricing" so booking early can score you great prices.

British weather and climate. Normally people come along and say "I was on Windermere in November 2010 and it was lovely" so what? Well, Britain is an island in an ocean and its weather is completely un-predictable until a couple of days out. So search the web under "climate" by the month and you will get the best advice. We who live here plan our days around the weather and you will want to always have a plan B and a plan A for each day. BBC weather is a very good source for day to day as they can advise down to the hour. So what might be a wet afternoon might have a lovely morning.

Arran; there is no plan B for Arran, you are out in the weather or you are bored inside.

Macross Oct 11th, 2019 04:57 AM

Premier inn is our hotel choice normally in UK but if staying longer ask airbnb owner for a discount for longer stay. I have found the one week stays normally give a good discount. Edinburgh has some nice VRBO and airbnb.

janisj Oct 11th, 2019 08:31 AM

Re the weather in the Lake District . . . Could be lovely in May - or not, could be lovely in July - or not. Could be nicer in May or could be nicer in July. This is not being snarky or sarcastic -- it is just the way things are in the UK. I've been in shirt sleeves/sandals in May and in fleece and cold and wet in July, and vice versa.

casjay Oct 11th, 2019 01:45 PM

Okay our current working plan is:
get off the boat and head to SW England for a week or so (either Exeter or Bristol or base)and then to Wales ( probably Cardiff for a base) for a week or so.
End of May we go to London till July 1 with lots of week day trips to surrounding area
Then head up to Scotland maybe use the Caledonian sleeper train to Glasgow for a week?
Then Arran for 4 or 5 days
then up in the highlands and along the Lochs - this I have to do some research for bike or hiking trips
First week of August to Aberdeen Scotland to see friend in highland games
End Scotland with a week in Edinburgh?
Hopefully hit the Lake District after Scotland.
Am I giving too little time anywhere?

janisj Oct 11th, 2019 02:24 PM

>>End Scotland with a week in Edinburgh?<<

You may want to reorganize things so you are not staying in Edinburgh for a week in August. The festivals and Tattoo are fabulous -- however rental rates/hotels will cost 3X or more what they will cost in July or September. Plus the city more than doubles in size and restaurants/pubs etc are booked solid. If the reason you are visiting Edinburgh is the Fringe/Festivals/Tattoo and aren't so much interested in sightseeing -- then yes. But if you want to really see the city without queuing with tens of thousands of others for everything -- then visit the city before or after August

Any specific reason you want to base in Cardiff? It is a decent city as cities go - but there are more scenic areas of Wales.

>>then up in the highlands and along the Lochs <<

Not sure what you mean by 'along the lochs'. There are more than 30,000 lochs in Scotland

A week is a pretty long time in Glasgow.

AND . . . just something to consider re your time in London -- a month is lovely. But London has by far the most expensive accommodations in the entire country (except for Edinburgh in August which give London a run for the money). So using London as a base for multiple day trips out of town may not be the best idea. If you only want a few days IN London maybe stay there a week or so and go somewhere else the rest of the month.

eastenderusvi Oct 12th, 2019 08:26 AM

I LOVE Wales, but somewhere along the west coast or in the north (Conwy) would be my choice for a home base rather than a city like Cardiff. Or maybe two bases....

Belinda Oct 12th, 2019 07:10 PM

Casjay, it sounds like a wonderful adventure. You don’t say where you are coming from but have you checked on any Visa requirements? For months could be over the usual limits.

janisj Oct 12th, 2019 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Belinda (Post 16999867)
Casjay, it sounds like a wonderful adventure. You don’t say where you are coming from but have you checked on any Visa requirements? For months could be over the usual limits.

Most likely the OP is from the States (based on her only other thread) so 4 months is not an over stay.

casjay: I just re-read your OP. You need to apply for the Wimbledon lottery before the end of December. Wimbledon is not guaranteed. If you aren't successful in the lottery/ballot, you'll have to queue for hours each day you want to visit. And for Ascot you'll want to book this month (by Nov 5 at the latest).