Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

GREAT B & B OR GUEST HOUSES IN BATH, STRATFORD AND THE COTSWOLDS!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 06:12 PM
Marlena

We will be traveling to England this October and are looking for great Bed and Breakfasts and/or guesthouses that are reasonably priced for two people (double) in Bath, Stratford-upon-Avon, and the Cotswolds. Our price range is anywhere from 25 to 60 pounds for doubles. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also, would like any info on where not to stay in these area's. Thanks much!

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 06:28 PM
steve

Have stayed twice in the past year at OXSTALLS B&B in Stratford. Very nice, friendly working horse farm. 55 pounds for two. <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 23rd, 2000, 11:38 AM
Elaine

Marlena: <BR>Two months ago I stayed at a lovely B&B near the town of Woodstock (Blenheim Palace) called the Elbie House. The owners are very hospitable, serve lovely breakfasts, 50-55 pounds per room, and everything is first class. You'll wish you'd stayed there longer. They have a web site, I think it's elbiehouse.co.uk or something like that.

Old Aug 24th, 2000, 06:15 AM
Heather

In 1998, I stayed in a wonderful farm house with 300 acres and a beautiful flower garden. The house looks like something out of a Merchant-Ivory film and the owners are absolutely charming. The rooms and bathrooms are very large and comfortable. It's so peaceful at night ... and if you leave the windows open, you can hear the sheep bleating as you fall asleep (works much better than counting them). A large, home-cooked breakfast is included. However, it was part of a drive-and-stay B&B package that I booked, so I apologize for not knowing the rates. The home is located in Shipton-on-Stour in Warwickshire, the home is within 20 minutes or less from Stratford, Chipping Camden, etc. <BR> <BR>If you are interested in more information, please feel free to email me. Or, the following is the contact information from a hotel card: <BR> <BR>Ascott Farm House <BR>Ascott, Whichford, Shipton-on-Stour <BR>Warwickshire CV35 5PP <BR>Tel. Long Compton (01608) 684655 <BR> <BR>Host: Mrs. Janet Haines

Old Aug 24th, 2000, 09:04 PM
Tracy

We just got back from a fantastic trip through England & Scotland. We loved our B&B's in Bath and Chipping Camden. Villa Magdala in Bath. Great food and beautiful room. Walking distance of about 3 FLAT blocks from town. In Chipping Camden we stayed at a great place named the Kettlehouse. Charming! Personally, I would skip Statford-upon-Avon. We wanted to see the home of Shakesphere like every other tourist. NOTHING of Shakesphere's is even in the house. Tourists EVERYWHERE. The house is next to a ton of touristy stores. Nothing quaint there. Spend more time driving through the charming villages in the cotswolds! Write if you have any other questions.

Old Aug 24th, 2000, 10:54 PM
sandy

I agree with Tracy -- skip Stratford-on-Avon, unless you are going to the theatre. <BR> <BR>We stayed in a wonderful little inn in the Cotswolds called the Lamb Inn. It's in Shipton-under-Wychwood. Lovely rooms and excellent food in the restaurant. A very quiet location, too.

Old Aug 25th, 2000, 10:39 PM
Marlena

Thanks everyone for your wonderful input. I'm a first timer to this wonderful forum and truly enjoy it. Should my husband and I really skip Stratford-upon-Avon. We've heard it is a charming town even though it is a bit touristy. Spending one night probably would be a waste especially if we can use that extra night in the Cotswolds. Would you still recommend at least stopping in Stratford for an afternoon. How long would it take to visit the few sights there? Looking forward to a reply. Thanks again!

Old Aug 26th, 2000, 06:19 AM
Linda

&lt;&lt;Would you still recommend at least stopping in Stratford for an afternoon.How long would it take to visit the few sights there?&gt;&gt; <BR> <BR>Responses from one recently-returned visitor: <BR> <BR>If you are going by Stratford, yes, I would recommend stopping for the afternoon. The off-and-on tour buses there are very good; they make 5 stops (Shakespeare's birthplace, his daughter Susanna's house, Anne Hathaway's house, Mary Arden's house, and New Place). We especially like Susanna's house (it's called Hall's Croft) because of the beautiful gardens. The birthplace house has a nice small museum if you are at all interested in Shakespeare and his times; it didn't matter to us that nothing there was actually "his". <BR> <BR>Yes, Stratford is crowded (although it was nowhere near as bad as Bath, which I will never revisit...but that's another thread). If you do go, try to avoid Saturday and go as early in the day as possible. <BR> <BR>We stayed at the Payton, near the center of town, which I believe is within your price range although near the top. My husband found them on smoothhound.co.uk. <BR> <BR>Have a good trip! <BR>Linda

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 07:05 PM
Pam

Stayed at the Stowe Lodge in Stow-in-the Wold. Great place and wonderful central location for touring the Cotwolds. Enjoy your trip

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 06:10 AM
topper

Old Sep 3rd, 2000, 08:03 AM
ginny

Marlena; There's a wonderful book "Best Bed and Breakfast England, Scotland and Wales" that was very helpful when I planned a trip Sept. 98. I got it at the local library. The Brompton House B&B in Bath was great. So was an inn called The Unicorn in Stow-on-the-Wold in the Cotswolds. Enjoy your trip!

Old Sep 3rd, 2000, 06:12 PM
gayle

Hi Marlena, we stayed at a beautiful B&B in Bath in March this year. It was called Armstrong. Walking distance to everything $45 pounds a night. The front room (no.1) is a gem. All totally renovated in the most beautiful taste. Including luxury ensuite. Tea and coffee facilities in your room with bone china dinner ware. Breakfast was included and a treat as well (still served to the room on bone china) Parking is provided at the back of the house if you are renting a car. We passed thru Stratford and had an hours walk around - that was enough. Chippen Campden is worth turning off the main road for it's lovely. Ho hum...memories - enjoy - Gayle

Old Sep 3rd, 2000, 07:23 PM
Debbie

Hi <BR> I have to agree with the VILLA MAGDALA suggestion for Bath - I stayed there for 2 nights a couple of years ago. It was 75 pounds per night but SOOOO worth it. (especially compared with the dump we ended up with in London) <BR> <BR>I would seriously consider staying at the Villa and taking the train into London! <BR>they have a web site - villamagdala.com <BR> <BR>good luck.