Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Great American Tour--Alpine Christmas Markets, anyone been to recently?

Dec 6th, 2005, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

I am leaving Friday, the 9th for the 9 day Alpine Christmas Market tour with Grand European Tours. Just curious if anyone has taken this recently and any special advice. I think I know pretty much what to expect but just looking for someone who has been. Thanks much and have a happy holiday season. Halfpint
Dec 6th, 2005, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Oops, heading should have read Grand European Tours, . Sorry
Dec 6th, 2005, 07:17 AM

Try to avoid buying anything that was Made in China.
Dec 6th, 2005, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

O.K. Intrepid;Frankly I will buy little if anything as not being home for the holidays I depend on those I visit to decorate. However being a retired photographer, I go for the BEAUTY AND SCENERY. Also do not go for the snow as we already have 3 feet of it where I live, however I do enjoy the European difference. Have a good one. Halfpint
Dec 6th, 2005, 07:47 AM

I was actually thinking the same thing as Intrepid! I just connected "market tour" with shopping I guess.

Several years ago I had a cousin stationed at an army base near Frankfurt. He was sending home a box of gifts and I asked him to pick me up a German nutcracker for me. Imagine my surprise to open the box and see the sticker "Made in China" on the base. I have checked stickers and labels ever since to make sure I was getting local goods.

Have a fun time, halfpint! I'm sure the scenery and market photos will be beautiful!
Dec 6th, 2005, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Thank you CLS. I will admit I enjoyed the ACQUIRERING years the most and am now in the getting rid of stage, thus mostly LOOKING, not buying. I know on another European tour, most of the folks stood and LISTENED to all the history, however I walked around and photographed and another participant commented how some enjoy the trip with their EARS and others with their EYES. Different strokes for Different folks. Have a good day. Halfpint
Dec 6th, 2005, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

topping