Grandmother and grandson,Europe 2007?

Oct 26th, 2006, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Grandmother and grandson,Europe 2007?

My mother (excellent health) and nephew would like to visit WWII sites,Paris,London,Germany and possible Italy,any recommendations for historical travel?He is 17,she is 67.Maybe 2 weeks travel,medium accomodations.Summer 2007.I would consider a travel agent or scheduled tour.Thanks1
Oct 26th, 2006, 12:11 PM

For 2 weeks that is way too much...they have 3-4 countries and only 14 days including travel time to/from Europe.

Narrow it down
- London and Paris w/ a couple of side trips to WWII sites.
- Southern Germany and Northern Italy (3 cities maybe Munich, Venice, Rome)
- Italy (3-4 cities)

If you try to do Paris, London, Germany and Italy they will see alot of airports, train stations, and hotel front desks.
Oct 26th, 2006, 12:16 PM

Can't offer much help but think it sounds like an absolutely fabulous trip. I took one trip with my Grandmother (to London) when I was about 19 and it is a very cherished memory.

Here is a 2 week tour I found online that might fit the bill.
http://www.ddaymuseum.org/travel/ve.html

I think unless Grandmother is a very seasoned traveler, a good tour would probably be a lot easier.
Oct 26th, 2006, 12:57 PM

One major problem is tours geared to 67 yo's willl be deadly dreary to most 17 yo's. And "kid-centric" younger tours usually aren't geared to older folks and sometimes don't even accept anyone over a certain age.

If they are traveling on their own - two weeks is barely enough time for one country let alone four.

They could easily do London/Paris and Normandy in that time frame though.
Oct 26th, 2006, 02:08 PM

The tour I posted is neither for oldies or youngies. It's a special WW II tour and sounds fantastic with access to special guides. I have no idea how pricey it is.
Oct 26th, 2006, 02:20 PM

I agree. Usually, I've noticed that teenagers get along better with the generation older than their parents. It all depends on the boy but worth looking into that site.
Oct 26th, 2006, 02:22 PM

I really do think this situation would be best on a tour. One that is aimed at their special interests.

There's no way (comfortably) you can do 2 cities plus 2 countries in only two weeks time on your own.

Pick up a copy of Frommer's Budget Travel, Conde Nast Travel, National Geographic Traveler and look at the articles and advertisements for specialized tours... is my suggestion.
Oct 26th, 2006, 02:25 PM

I don't think two weeks is too short a time for a trip like that -- although I think I would eliminate Italy.

Nor do I think this has to be a scholar's tour.

I would spend 4 days in London, 3 in Berlin, 3 or 4 in France and the remainder in Belgium. I wouldn't try to do "everything." Just visit the important museums and where possible, the battlefields. If both do a lot of video watching and reading ahead of time, they'll grasp a lot very quickly.

It would be great if your mother was willing to drive some in France and Belgium. They'd probably see more. And to get to Germany, they should fly to Berlin, which is simple and cheap on Air Berlin.

London is the only really expensive town in the bunch.
Oct 26th, 2006, 02:34 PM
ira

Hi L,

First suggestion, have Mom and Nephew sign up for themselves.

Take a look at a map and see how far these distances are.

Take a look at train schedules at www.bahn.de and see how long it takes to get to these places.

After that, see if they want to stick to the same itinerary.

Oct 26th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your suggestions,I am checking into several of your ideas.