Grandes Ecoles or Bersoly's?

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 06:12 PM
Cathy

Grandes Ecoles or Bersoly's?

My husband and I are traveling to Paris for the first time in April. We are considering staying at either the Hotel des Grandes Ecoles or the Hotel Bersoly's Saint-Germain. Has anyone stayed at both of these hotels? Any thoughts about which to choose? Thanks!

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 06:53 PM
Al Godon

With literally hundreds of good, small hotels in Paris, why are you stuck on these two choices? There are other hotels in Paris. I personally would choose neither.

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 08:20 PM
ita

I heartly recommend des Grandes Ecoles. Have stayed there twice and am booked again. The price is good.My rooms have been the nicest I have stayed at in Paris. There have been some complaints so ask for one of the best rooms-not in the main building. It is very pretty, very quiet in a beautiful courtyard and the location is great-you can walk everywhere. You may be to late to reserve for April so try at once.

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 09:04 PM
rlr

Al, if you gave some constructive advice/suggestions, it would have been more helpful.

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 04:31 AM
Howard

Here's another solid endorsement for Grandes Ecoles. And, as ita wrote, ask for a room NOT in the main building. The place is charming, the staff is wonderful, the location is convenient.

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 06:39 AM
Al Godon

Bersoly's is a fine hotel. And a person usually stays at only one hotel per night. My favorite in Paris is pretty far away from Notre Dame, like a mile.
I don't reveal it because it is hard enough to get into now. If it is publicized here, Rick Steves might find it, publish it in his book, and make it even harder to book a room.
The Kleber is a first class joint as far as I know, but it is not in the magical 5th or 6th.

Speaking of Steves and his list. Has anyone had any recent experience with the Golden Duck in Salzburg. I stayed there just before it made Steves' book.
I am wondering what it is like now?

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 06:58 AM
Im

Al, why should we help you when you won't help others by giving the name of your favorite Parisian hotel, hm?

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 07:44 AM
xxx

They're both inexpensive hotels located in central areas. We stayed at the Angleterre on rue Jacob and were pretty disappointed with the quality of the room we had (maintenance was poor). Some other people have complained of their rooms being in shabby shape here also(on another travel website called tripadvisor.com). Next time we are thinking of staying nearby also at Hotel Left Bank St. Germain or Villa d'Estrees.

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 02:52 PM
MHS

Cathy, we stayed at Bersoly's, 28 rue de Lille in Sept. 2000 -- lovely room But -- my suitcase was stolen from our Locked Room on our 3rd day there. Fortunately I had a few things hung in the closet. Desk person was not extremely helpful re our loss. Homeowners covered it, but that's a pain too. Wasted late afternoon at police station making report (although they were the most pleasant about the situation). Police indicated they thought it was an "inside job" which was what DH & I thought too. Lobby Desk faces the entry door -- there are security cameras but they weren't on (according to the Desk Clerk). Bottom line -- with all the hotels to chose from, I would not return there or recommend them to a friend.

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 11:08 AM
Yvette

We have stayed at Hotel des Grandes Ecoles twice in the last 5 years and enjoyed it immensely both times. We've stayed both in the main building and a building on the courtyard and prefer the latter. The room and bath are larger but any room will be meticulously clean and the service friendly and efficient. We also love the location, just a few steps from the Place de la Contrescape. If you go, have a 'demi de vin rouge' for me at Cafe La Chope. There is a wonderful Sunday market a short walk away on the Rue Monge - we had a delightful picnic from our purchases. I've had friends who stayed at the Bersolys and they found it very convenient and quaint but their room was SMALL. They also found it to be rather noisy. HGE is very quiet since it is on its own gated cul-de-sac...the gate is closed late at night to enhance security.

For me, there is absolutely no question. Stay with Madame LaFloch at Hotel des Grandes Ecoles!

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 11:20 AM
Al Godon

Given that there are long lists of hundreds of Paris hotels, who needs my advice? Besides, I accepted the advice about the hotel I use on the condition I would not discuss it.

I have a couple I do NOT recommend, starting with Acacias St. Germain.]

There is a good hotel across the street, Rue des Rennes, the Aramis St. Germain. A shade expensive, but ok.

Anybody ever use the Hotel Delavigne? It is a little place between the Luxembourg Gardens and Blvd. St. Germain on a little side street. It is not air conditioned.
The rating is 3 star, but the prices are lower than most other 3 star hotels. If it is an ok place, it should be convenient to everything in the 6th Arr.