Grande Arche de la Défense

Apr 15th, 2004, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Grande Arche de la Défense

My family and I are traveling to Paris this summer, is it worth the time to go to Grande Arche de la Défense? If so how much time will it take to go there and see it, say from Republiqué?
Apr 15th, 2004, 07:29 AM
Singletail

You can get accurate Metro/RER routes and times by visiting www.ratp.com and using the "route finder" feature.

I suspect a number of people here might suggest it isn't worth the effort given the overall sensibility on this board these days.

Apr 15th, 2004, 07:29 AM
rex

I think that this is an under-appreciated "attraction" in Paris. The view is spectacular; the architecture is meritorious in its own right. There is a modest art museum at the top, and you can get a little lunch. It's maybe twelve minutes from l'Etoile; 90 minutes round trip from there and you will have "seen" it thoroughly.

Best wishes,

Rex
Apr 15th, 2004, 07:43 AM

I agree with Rex on this. It would not be high on my list of things to do in Paris, but if you can fit it in I would recommend it. The metro stop at La Défense is new and there is a small underground shopping area there. It many not be for everyone, but I thought it was worth the trip.
Apr 15th, 2004, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, my brother is an architecture major, and I think that this would be something he would really enjoy. We plan on making it a sight to visit in Paris now, thanks for the link.
Apr 15th, 2004, 08:01 AM

We didn't plan to visit it...the pictures I saw didn't do much for me. On our last morning in Paris we saw it from the top of the Arc de Triomphe and it looked so cool that I wished that we had time to see it up close.
Apr 15th, 2004, 08:18 AM

Other locations with less grand ensembles are the Parc André Citroen; the Parc de la Villette with its remaining abattoir/market building, the music complex, and the science museum; the new National Library (as what not to do, in my mind); and for integration into an old neighborhood, the public bath and kindergarten near the Place de la Contrescarpe.
Apr 15th, 2004, 09:05 AM

I just saw the 'Grande Arche de la Defense' when I was in Paris last month. I took the RER A out there from the 7th Arr and it only cost like 2,10 euros and was about a 20 min ride.

Since you will be going out there to see the Arche, why not make a full day of it and see another famous site? As an historian, I went out there to see Napoleon and Josephine Bonaparte's home: Chateau Malmaison. From the Grande Defense Metro/RER station, I caught bus # 158 (it comes INTO the station) to the "chateau" stop, entrance will be on your L side. It is certainly worth a trip since so few people know about that gem just outside of Paris. The mansion/chateu is lovely and there are nice gardens to walk around in behind the chateau.

Apr 15th, 2004, 11:56 AM

We went out on weekend, and I felt that it was a 'concrete graveyard'... I think it would be more interesting on a weekday, when the worker bees are buzzin'. The mall (Quatre something?) was busy, but the terraces were very empty. There is a neat pond/fountain at the near end, closest to Paris, and the view down Champs to the Arc de Triomphe is cool.
We did not go up the Grande Arc and tried to see the Automobile Museum but it was closed for renovations.
Apr 15th, 2004, 03:00 PM

My opinion is different. I was not impressed with it and felt it was not worth the time.
Apr 15th, 2004, 05:12 PM

Hey Travelnut. When were you at the auto museum? I tried to take my Dad last year during the first of May and it didn't look closed for renovations. It looked like it had packed up and moved on. Hopefully I had the wrong impression.
Apr 15th, 2004, 05:26 PM

Maybe that's what it was, I just remember getting there to find it was closed (April 2001, I think). Wanted to see the Citroens..Never checked back...