Grand Hotel, Warsaw

Mar 29th, 2003, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

Grand Hotel, Warsaw

Can anyone tell me anything about this hotel?Is it in a convenient location (for walking to points of interest) and is it in a relatively safe area? The rate that I have found seems reasonable. Or can anyone recommend another moderately priced, centally located hotel?
Thanks, Roy
Mar 29th, 2003, 09:03 PM

This hotel is located near Novotel Centrum Warsaw, which is not far from Central Train Station. You will probably get much better deal (what you get for your buck) with Novotel Centrum Warsaw. If you would like to be closer to Old City - then Europejski (which can be expensive at times for what it offers)or budget less known (but clean with good service and great prices) Hotel Warszawa (which is also not far from Old City)- http://www.syrena.com.pl/warszawa.htm
Mar 30th, 2003, 02:18 AM

Polite suggestion: Try the Polonia. A real Polish hotel. Close to Centralia and near underground and bus and tram routes.
Mar 30th, 2003, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Is the Warzsawa more central than the Europejska? Both of them seem to be good choices.
I understand that the Polonia is closed for renovation.
Thanks, Roy
Mar 30th, 2003, 11:56 AM

Royboy,

We just returned from Poland last week, and "yes" the Polonia in Warsaw is closed for renovations. It is completely enclosed in scaffolding.

The Novotel has taken over the Forum Hotel--which is one half block further east from Centralna Train station than is the Polonia.

I don't know if it matters to you or not, but we stayed at the Holiday Inn at a 21 day advance purchase rate of 68 Euros (no breakfast),and then walked over to the Novotel for their
$10 US buffet breakfast, which was quite good and generous.

The Holiday Inn is one block north of Centralna Station, and 1/2 block west of the Palace of Science and Culture.
For our purposes, the location was wonderful for it is within walking distance of Nowy Swiat and the hall where we had tickets to see the Warsaw Philharmonic.

The buses and one subway line are easy to manage. Since there were four in our group, the "non-mafia" taxis were quite economical.

Mar 31st, 2003, 04:39 AM

Never seen the rooms but the Grand is very dated in the lobby - total feel of old communist hotel. Area is OK (quieter and safer than Novotel immediate area) - not pretty (not much of Warsaw is), but not very convenient for old town. I do not know what rate you have, but for price quoted on web site, I would definitely hunt around - I have seen discounts on Sheraton, Sofitel etc which are not far off price on website (approx euro 100 for double).
Mar 31st, 2003, 10:31 AM

Royboy> Europejski is closer to Old City, but definitly be more expensive then Warszawa hotel. Warszawa Hotel is in between Old City and Centralny Train Station - area is good - one of those places which are not highly advertised, so the prices are low. Service and breakfest are great. When making reservation just make sure that you are getting room with private bathroom - since it is older hotel and they they do offer both.