Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Grand Hotel Plaza and Grand Hotel Ritz in RomeHas any one stayed recently in either hotel?

Search

Grand Hotel Plaza and Grand Hotel Ritz in RomeHas any one stayed recently in either hotel?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 05:18 PM
Donna

Getting ready to press the "book now" button.<BR>Any feedback on the following hotels in Rome:<BR>Grand Hotel Plaza and Grand Hotel Ritz. Wondering if they have completed the "updating" on the rooms at the Grand Hotel Plaza.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 02:45 AM
Rex

From my reply to your "first post" - - (and I omitted to say which hotel I was talking about!)<BR><BR>This is in regard to the Grand hotel Plaza - - and it's 15 months old, so if there has been a recent "update" to rooms, it may no longer be valid.<BR><BR>Author: Rex ([email protected])<BR>Date: 08/26/2002, 08:46 pm<BR><BR>Message: I stayed there with a group of six in May 2001. We experienced serious hot water shortage for ordinary shower/bath - - and felt that the place was past its prime, and overly expensive. We were supposed to spend days 1,2 and 7,8 of a trip there - - and we canceled the second pair of days.<BR><BR>The public spaces are worth a look see, but there are better places to stay cheaper, in no worse locations (Via del Corso, Centro Storico area).<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR><BR>======================== ============<BR><BR>And here's a couple of other relevant threads (note the refeference to Rants'n'Raves too)<BR><BR>http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessages.jsp?fid=2&tid=1323045<BR><BR>http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessages.jsp?fid=2&tid=1303186<BR><BR>

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 11:01 AM
up

topping<BR>

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 01:14 PM
Maira

Donna, when are you going? If you are traveling after Oct 15th, I would wait for the lower room rates. There aren't out yet. Even the Grand Plaza lowers rates later in the season. How much are you getting quoted now? (if you don't mind me asking....)

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 07:34 PM
donna

Maria, we'll end our trip in Rome on 20/10/02 only be there for 3 days, but its our 3rd trip and we wanted to focus on Amalfi Coast. Best quote so far is $207 Grand Plaza, Grand Ritz $150. I think I'm going to wait and do priceline about 20 days prior and go for a 5*, thats the only way I'll ever do Rome via 5*. I'll keep you posted.<BR><BR>

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 08:58 AM
Rex

Naturally, you can follow your heart and go strictly 5* if you wish, but I think that Minerve looks awfully good to me, and might only be considered 3* or 4*.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 10:54 AM
donna

Rex, don't want you to think I'm a TA TA<BR>person (gave that up years ago when i realized i was missing the real life, especilly in travel meeting the local people and seeing how they REALLY live) I think its the adventure of the quest in trying to get a 5* for the price of a 3*. I'll post on return and let you know if it was worth it.

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 02:21 PM
Rex

Thanks, donna<BR><BR>I must confess, a "TA TA person" is not part of my everyday vocabulary - - sounds like the Howells of Gilligan's Island!<BR><BR>Me personally - - I would be part captain, part professor, and part little buddy!<BR><BR>We have to learn to laugh at ourselves, right?<BR>