Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Grand Hotel Palatino in Rome...safe at night for three women?

Jan 28th, 2007, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

We will be traveling to Rome in April. I have changed our reservation to the Grand Hotel Palatino on Via Cavour from the Donatello since reviews of the Donatello came back as "a seedy area". Will being located on the Via Cavour be a safer district to walk around, get dinner etc. at night? That is the higher package price we can afford for a hotel. We booked through gate1travel.com and are not given other choices in that price range. tia, travelbug05
Jan 28th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Anyone???
Jan 28th, 2007, 03:12 PM

Hello travelbug, have you checked out the reviews for the Grand Hotel Palatino on tripadvisor? If not I would do that, there are mixed comments, not that that is unusual. It certainly sounds like the hotel staff gives good and pleasant service which is nice. It is on a heavily travelled street which bothers some people, it doesn't bother me. In fact in my opinion a heavily travelled street always seems "safer" versus some dark small road.

This hotel is a few blocks from the Colosseum, an area I have not stayed in for years. When I did it was safe but I have no knowledge of what it is like now.

Best regards to you, I hope your time in Italy is wonderful.
Jan 29th, 2007, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Thank you and yes, I have checked out the reviews on tripadvisor and also virtualtourist.com but as you say it does list mixed comments; however not alot is said about the actual safety of the area at night. But thanks for your input! I really appreciate it. Travelbug
Jan 29th, 2007, 10:51 AM

We stayed at the Palatino on our first visit to Rome.

Safety isn't a problem, however I might be a bit uncomfortable in the late hours of the evening.

We don't particularly care for the area as much as the ones around the Pantheon, Piazza Navona or Campo dei Fiori.
Jan 29th, 2007, 11:28 AM

I stayed at the GHP in Feb. 2004.....I thought the area was fine, even at night....The room was just as pictured and I enjoyed breakfast brought up to the room every morning.

The only thing I found strange was the shape of the bathtub...... I'm only 5'2", but I had a hard time standing up in their tub....it had a curved bottom.... I had to hang on to the wall while I showered....

Other than that, I had a pleasant stay at the GHP. Nice breakfast, clean, pleasant people and we had web tv in the room, so I kept in contact via email with my kids! Enjoy.