Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Grand Hotel Des Balcons or Grandes Ecoles for honeymoon?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 10:34 PM
Annie

<BR>Hello. We'll be going to Paris for our honeymoon and I just read from the postings here that these 2 hotels sound like great choices. Which should i choose? Also, do these hotels have websites, or email addresses? Can I book with them online?<BR><BR>All suggestions are appreciated.<BR>Tks! <BR>Annie

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 11:29 PM
Lucy

Hi Annie,<BR>I'm not sure about Grandes Ecoles but the web site for Balcons is www.balcons.com. I haven't stayed there but am hoping to when I go to Paris in October - they replied very promptly to an email I sent through their site which is helpful. Cheers...

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 08:25 AM
arjay

We stayed at the Balcons three years ago (and in fact, I claim the honor of being the first one to post here about it). It was an eminently decent little hotel. But - just in case you are looking for something "super-special" as a honeymoon place...you might want to look a little further. If you do book the Balcons, be sure to ask for a streetside room...there is a little noise (heels clacking, the street cleaning machine coming by in the morning...the kinds of noises I like to hear, actually)...but the advantage of your own mini terrace, about a foot deep, on which you can step and savor the Paris evening air, and the view of the Odeon just up the street, are worth it. If I can answer any other questions, feel free to e-m me at [email protected]

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 09:16 AM
Thyra

The Balcons is my favorite Paris hotel period. For the price the decor, the location (next the the Luxembourg Gardend) and the service it can't be beat. I stay at this hotel whenever I am in Paris. Having said that though, sometimes for Honeymoons all bets are off and you want to spluge? If you are looking for the "breakfast in Bed" super fancy ala "Ritz" type of hotel Balcons is not like that. It is a charming, delightful Parisian hotel, not a super fancy hotel.

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 04:17 PM
Christina

Last I knew the Grandes Ecoles was on web site www.france-hotel-guide.com and the Balcons is on www.parishotels.com. Both these are booking sites, if you wish to use them, but will have info.

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 05:34 PM
Annie

<BR>Hi all<BR><BR>Tks so much for the feedback! Thanks to Christina particularly for the website references. We are not actually looking for Ritz type of hotels, since we're on a budget too. I'm more into picturesque surroundings, romantic moods etc. From what I see, I like the decor of the Balcons, but I like the idea of a little garden in the Grandes Ecoles. So I'm torn! Has anybody stayed in both before?<BR><BR>Annie

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 05:40 PM
adrienne

Hi Annie,<BR><BR>I’ve stayed at the Balcons three times, the first in 1984 and the last in 1995. I thought that the rooms were beginning to look a bit run down the last time I stayed there but they could have changed their décor since 1995. All three times I had a street room (June) with balcony and I noticed no noise at night. The location can’t be beat. For my trip this summer I chose the Grandes Ecoles on a recommendation of a friend’s son. I don’t think the location of the Ecoles is as good as Balcons but I wanted to try something different and the rooms looked charming on their web site. I’ve reserved a garden room. <BR><BR>I also remember someone posting something about brie at breakfast (at the Balcons) which was not served the last time I stayed there so it seems that perhaps improvements have been made.<BR><BR>In 1997 I stayed at the Muguet which was much prettier than the Balcons but I still liked the Balcons’s location better than the Muguet’s. Would also recommend Muguet.<BR><BR>Whichever you choose you should book as soon as possible since all these hotels are very popular.<BR><BR>Adrienne<BR><BR>

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 05:41 PM
adrienne

Hi Annie,<BR><BR><BR>I’ve stayed at the Balcons three times, the first in 1984 and the last in 1995. I thought that the rooms were beginning to look a bit run down the last time I stayed there but they could have changed their décor since 1995. All three times I had a street room (June) with balcony and I noticed no noise at night. The location can’t be beat. For my trip this summer I chose the Grandes Ecoles on a recommendation of a friend’s son. I don’t think the location of the Ecoles is as good as Balcons but I wanted to try something different and the rooms looked charming on their web site. I’ve reserved a garden room. <BR><BR>I remember someone posting something about brie at breakfast (at the Balcons) which was not served the last time I stayed there so it seems that perhaps improvements have been made.<BR><BR>In 1997 I stayed at the Muguet which was much prettier than the Balcons but I still liked the Balcons’s location better than the Muguet’s. Would also recommend Muguet.<BR><BR>Whichever you choose you should book as soon as possible since all these hotels are very popular.<BR><BR>Adrienne<BR><BR>

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 10:53 PM
kalena

Hi Annie;<BR><BR>I can't do a comparison beacause we only stayed at Grands Ecoles. The garden courtyard was full of lavander in bloom when we were there in July '9_. The hotel is a moderate-price option, certainly pleasant and acceptable. As you have probably read, it's a several block walk up a slight grade from the nearest metro, and that's what keeps the prices reasonable. There was a little bakery across the street, nothing too fancy, though, and it's not too far from the Roman ruins. There was a bit of street noise at night. But the welcome by the owner in the breakfast room was always very pleasant. If it's a question of keeping to a budget (which I can understand) it will be fine. Best wishes on your marriage, and have a wonderful honeymoon in France! There's much to discover beyond Paris <BR>