Grand Hotel de l'Univers

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 03:40 PM
Carolyn

Grand Hotel de l'Univers

We have made reservations at this hotel but haven't seen anything on Fodors about it. I am thinking of changing to Le Regent or the Millesime. Any thoughts?

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 09:19 PM
parislover

Carolyn:<BR>The fact you have not seen any comments on Fodors about it, does not mean anything (bad). It's just the contrary and means it hasn't been discovered yet by too many US tourists.<BR>The hotel we always stay, has never been mentioned here and I am happy about it. At least, we don't need to make reservations 6 month ahead, like you would, with the hotels mentioned here over and over again.<BR>The Grand Hotel de l'Univers is a small charming 3-star place on tiny Rue Gregoire-de-Tours. Rooms are small, buth with lots of character. Don't worry. Try to get a room to the back. Street is full of small restaurants and can be noisy late at night. But location is perfect, between Blvd. Saint-Germain and Rue de Buci. So...?<BR>Have fun!

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 11:35 PM
Bobbie

Carolyn<BR>We spent several days at this little hotel a year ago. It is charming and quaint and the service was superb . The rooms are small (it didn't matter) and squeeky clean (I'm very picky). Most of all the location was wonderful and the rates were VERY reasonable. You'll love it. By the time the word gets around and it is listed in Fodors, the rates will go up.

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 05:40 AM
Fred

Here are a few comments from people who stayed there:<BR>Grand Hotel de l'Univers (3 star left bank) <BR>small rooms<BR>very clean<BR>staff speaks English<BR>small hotel<BR>enjoyed our stay there<BR>For more Paris information e-mail me: [email protected]

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 11:23 AM
topper

ttt

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 09:20 AM
fran

Don't know about the Grand Hotel de l'Univers but can tell you that the Millesime is wonderful. The location is great; we were able to walk everywhere. We had a superior room, which was quite large. It was spotlessly clean and (a personal quirk of mine)had high thread-count sheets. Lots of places to eat in the area, and the hotel staff couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. I highly recommend.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 09:21 AM
fran

Ooops! Just noticed original post was from April so Carolyn's trip has probably come and gone.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 10:07 AM
Patrick

Yes, I too see this was from April, but I have a new take on it.<BR>In Paris last week I read something about this hotel (I think in Time Out Paris) saying it was just refurbished and mentioning specific very low rates. I walked by it, and then remembered it. Yes, it could be noisy at night as it is above all those little restaurants, but the thing that threw me was that their rooms have gone way up in price. Their deluxe rooms (the only ones apparently large enough to turn around in) are over 200 Euro. For less than that you can get a deluxe room at LeRegent just a block away -- and a much better deal! By the way, Grand Hotel de l'Univers is now also tied in with Best Western. Sometimes it is possible to get a better price through Best Western than it is directly with the hotel.