Grand Hotel de la Minerve, Rome

Apr 7th, 2005, 02:40 AM
Original Poster

Grand Hotel de la Minerve, Rome

I am considering this hotel for a 5 day stay in Rome.

The location looks perfect and I have read good reviews here and elsewhere. Of course, if anyone has criticisms I would really appreciate hearing them.

I am having trouble finding information on the differences between the types of rooms - double, superior or deluxe. If anyone has stayed there and can tell me what their room was like I would be very grateful. For instance, do the superior rooms have more space or is the difference to do with something else such as views or decoration?

In particular, can anyone who stayed in a standard room tell me if there was a table and somewhere to sit other than the bed.

Thank you.

Apr 7th, 2005, 02:45 AM

Jane, I have family who stayed there, as you say it has an excellent location, and a fine reputation. But it's unlikely that anyone here will have experienced all the rooms, even within the 'superior' category there can be differences in space and view and bed configuration. The hotel itself would be happy to describe the differences, or provide square footage of the average rooms by category.
Apr 7th, 2005, 03:25 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for responding, Elaine. The email they sent me only states the prices but I will try to reword my request and see if I can get some more information about the differences.
Apr 7th, 2005, 03:40 AM

Hi Jane - We stayed there last summer and loved it. The first 2 nights (upon arrival) my husband and I had a room probably deluxe overlooking Piazza Minerva. Quite large, king bed, desk, couch & 2 chairs. The bathroom was quite large as well. At the end of the trip (2 weeks in Amalfi) we returned and spent the last 2 nights in a regular room, which was lovely but much smaller than the suite and I did hear a little street noise in the morning. I would request a room overlooking the piazza if possible. We loved it there and plan to go back again this year. Staff is friendly, the rooms are very nice, not filled with flowery wallpaper, etc. The roof top restaurant is expensive but wonderful and not to be missed. Enjoy!
Apr 7th, 2005, 05:07 AM

Hi Jane - I forgot to say there is a small dining table and 2 chairs in the double room. Large enough for a meal. There was also a small desk in the room.
Apr 7th, 2005, 07:11 AM
rex

It seems like a dream to me, based on a walkthrough and brunch on their rooftop (but didn't stay in a room there). If you can afford it, I bet you will be happy. And I think that a high class hotel like this will respond to a very direct question like "what sizes are the three different types of rooms, in sq. meters?" (it also works to ask for exact bed sizes if that is important to you). A sw. meter is very, very close to 10 sq. feet.

Best wishes,

Rex
Apr 7th, 2005, 10:32 AM

We stayed there two summers ago. We had a lovely stay...had a standard room with a king bed which was very adequate. The service was great and the location was perfect.

The best part tho was we were in Rome during a heat wave...92 degrees and humid. The AC was very good at this hotel...not so at two other 5 star hotels we stayed in in Florence and Tuscany. You don't say when you are going, but if it is in the warmer months, you will appreciate the good AC!
Apr 11th, 2005, 04:43 AM

Dear Jane, we are also from sydney and had grand minerve down as a possible. I too couldn't get much info from them. the suites looked really lovely and she assured me they looked like the photo. However they were really expensive and they couldn't guarantee a non smoking room, in fact, if my memory serves me correctly there were no non smoking suites. They could offer a deluxe room non smoking though. For the same price we have taken a junior suite at another hotel. When are you going? we are going in mid sept. It does look good though. Good luck, the reviews were all good on trip advisor, make sure you get one away from the elevators seemed to be the way to go according to the reviews.
Apr 11th, 2005, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all the various helpful information! I really appreciate people taking the time to share their experiences.

A special hello to fellow Sydney-sider Schnauzer! We are going in May, so I will make a final decision on our Rome accommodation in the next day or two. A non-smoking room is important to us too. Many of the rooms in Rome hotels look very small indeed, which is why I posted this question - it's hard to work out whether "deluxe" and so on actually means more spacious (which I'm prepared to pay for if necessary) or just more fancy (which I wouldn't necessarily want to pay for.)
Apr 12th, 2005, 12:07 AM

thanks for the special hello - where are you from in Sydney - we are in Wahroonga. We have booked into the Albergo Del Senato. Another highly recommended hotel on this site. The junior suite is non smoking and has a view of the pantheon and we are paying 350 euros. don't know if this throws a spanner in the works or helps! cheers again from Sydney
Feb 8th, 2010, 11:14 PM

Has anyone stayed in this hotel recently? Any feedback is appreciated!

s
Feb 9th, 2010, 11:25 PM

ttt
Feb 10th, 2010, 03:24 PM

I stayed there this past October. I already knew that the location was perfect for me, since I prefer to stay around the Pantheon. There were three of us and we stayed in a suite. Furnishings a bit dated-looking but all was in excellent condition. Services were very good, though not perfect--we had to ask a couple of times for some things. The breakfast buffet, while quite pricey, set us up well for a morning of sightseeing. I look forward to staying there again in the future.
Feb 10th, 2010, 03:26 PM

here is my Rome trip report, which mentions my stay at the Minerve.