Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Grand Canyon du Verdon - doable as a day trip from our Cannes Villa (We are there 2 wks - first trip to Cote d'Azure?)

Grand Canyon du Verdon - doable as a day trip from our Cannes Villa (We are there 2 wks - first trip to Cote d'Azure?)

Aug 19th, 2002, 10:50 AM
candace

We will have a car of our own during the 2 wks we are there. I am not necessarily an outdoors person but this looks lovely from the pictures? I don't suppose this is in the vicinity of the pine cone train ride. Could we do both?? probably not, huh?

Aug 19th, 2002, 05:43 PM
Rex

Yes, a full long day - - of course, it depends on how long you stop along the way - - like in Moustiers, or Tourettes.

Never heard of the pine cone train ride.

Best wishes,

Rex

Aug 19th, 2002, 06:27 PM
John B.

Doable or enjoyable? France has great roads but you should be aware that the roads getting to and around the Canyon are narrow, twisty and often steep. If you have the time and resources a more more pleasurable day would be to stay overnight in,say, Moustiers. Driving these roads after a long tiring day would not be a vacation for me especially if I were in the passenger seat.

Aug 19th, 2002, 06:33 PM
StCirq

The Gorges du Verdon are spectacular, but don't try to make a day trip out of it. Spend the night at a little auberge and enjoy the scenery.

I don't know what you're referring to when you mention the "pine cone train ride."

Aug 19th, 2002, 06:49 PM
John B.

Oh yes one other thought. Keep an eye out for wild boars especially around picnic spots where people leave food behind. When we visited the area we saw a whole family of them including aunts and uncles. Don't approach them.
We also saw a French army tank shelling one of cliffs in a remote spot near one of their (Army's not boars) camps.

Aug 20th, 2002, 05:01 AM
ttt

TTT

Aug 20th, 2002, 05:42 AM
Sue

I'd recommend a stopover for lunch/dinner at Les Santons in Moustiers-Ste.-Marie along the way; check out the lovely faience in the shops there, also. Beautiful little village in the lower Alps.

Aug 20th, 2002, 05:46 AM
Mara

Here's a link for information on the "Pine Cone Train" - http://www.provencebeyond.com/sites/pignes.html
I took it from Nice to Entrevaux last November.

Aug 21st, 2002, 01:15 AM
E

Alain Ducasse's Bastide de Moustiers is nearby. The rooms are charming and the food was wonderful, of course. We left the Bastide and drove through the Canyon and made it back in time for lunch (barely!) The water of the canyon is some of the bluest I've seen outsite the Carribean.

Sep 29th, 2002, 09:43 AM
up

up

Sep 29th, 2002, 12:04 PM
Patrick

We left Nice about 10:00, drove to Verdun Gorge at the western end (sorry I don't have my good Michelin map here, so can't give specific names), but at the lake. We drove along the south rim, stopping for lunch at the Hotel du Grand Canyon, which was great and would even be a nice overnight. Their restaurant juts out over the canyon itself and the little inn looks like very nice rooms. We drove most of the rest of the length towards the east, then headed south, visiting Grasse and St. Paul that same day. So I say, yes you can easily see and visit the gorge as a day trip. Frankly, we thought it would become boring to continue the full loop around, and we had read that the south side was more scenic and generally closer to the gorge anyway.

Apr 12th, 2004, 04:20 PM

I'm topping and old thread to see if it jogs any memories to help with my question. I'm planning to go from Moustiers Ste Marie to St. Paul de Vence. I tried putting both St. Paul and Grasse in the via michellin site. Both times it appeared to pick the road along the north side of the lake. While I have nothing against crooked windy roads, I'd like a bit of oomph left to see St. Paul de Vence when I get there. Is the road along the north side of the lake actually quicker/straighter than the south? Is the Route de Napoleon toward Grasse worse than the D2 route down to St. Paul? Anyone done either of these? A better route?
Apr 12th, 2004, 05:14 PM

After Cannes visit Umbria and Toscany at italy.

Check http://www.italian-escapes.com

they have best prices and tours on web
Apr 12th, 2004, 05:28 PM

the answer is, yes you can. This is an old thread, did the poster do it?
Apr 12th, 2004, 05:32 PM

Most likely southern hot air trolling.
Apr 12th, 2004, 06:41 PM

We've driven the Route Napoléon from Grasse to Moustiers and back several times. It's an interesting road, and some of it can be tricky depending on the bus traffic. But the views are great.
Apr 12th, 2004, 06:45 PM

Thanks Underhill. Glad someone realized this was a serious question!
Apr 12th, 2004, 07:17 PM

hopingtotravel,It's beautiful countryside. When in St=Paul-de-V stop at the tourist office and go upstauirs some great photos of all the celebrities who lived in the village or stayed at the Colombe D'Or.
Be sure to not miss the Maeght Foundation. One of my favorite places in September last year. Walk along the old walls. Sue's suggestion of lunch in Moustiers at Les Santons is a good one.
Rte Napoleon is where we drove and went to the full drive through the Gorge . Stopping at the view points led to many chats with other tourists making the visit to the gorge interesting to notice how many countries were represented.