GRANADA--Walking tours/Alhambra tours

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am interested to hear people's experiences with guided tours of the city and the Alhambra. Anyone have experience with Cicerone or Granada a Pie, or other tour companies?

Anyone hired a private guide?

If we were to book one guided tour, would it be better to do this for the city itself or for the Alhambra? I have already booked entry tickets for 3pm; this is on a weekday in January.

Please tell me I did not make a mistake booking for the 3pm entry into the Nasrid Palaces!
Sunset is around 6:30pm on that date.
Old Oct 12th, 2010, 05:25 PM

With the afternoon ticket, you can enter the grounds at any time, but can enter the fort and the General Life only after 2 PM. If you take some time to see the fort at 2, then you will be very close to the entry of the Nazrid Palace for your 3pm entry time.

I don't know if there are guided tours. Can't remember one way or the other. We used the audio guides which we thought were excellent and allowed us to go at our own pace.

Once in to the Nazarid Palace, you can stay there as long as you like. We eased our way through in about 1.5 hours. I would say we did not rush, and tried to see everything.

That would put you back outside at about 4:30pm to go to the General Life. The good news might be that you will be up there when it gets dark, as I understand it can be quite glorious to behold at night.

As for the city, we had two short afternoons (Did Alhambra in am) Our hotel was near Plaza Nueva, and we just walked around that area, including the Cathedral, Plaza Bib Rambla, which was really fun, and the old silk market.

Then we took a bus up to St Nicolas Plaza for evening views of the Alhambra. Be sure to do that if you have an evening.
Old Oct 12th, 2010, 07:42 PM

Scrunchy amiga !! You are going when???? I am jelous. Hope you have been well.
Old Oct 13th, 2010, 02:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Bill. I was wondering about hiring a private guide. In my communication with two guide companies, I learned that if one does this, the entry is included and there is no need to book entry tickets. Too late for me but maybe that will help someone else. The private tours are very expensive--I have quotes of 170 and 180 euro, but with a site of the magnitude of the Alhambra, I wonder if it might not be worth it.

If you all feel that I made a bad mistake in getting the afternoon tickets, I guess I could buy morning tickets instead. The funny thing is that when I looked to see which were available, there were only 60 left for my time slot at 3pm. I saw the meter ticking, so to speak (the icon telling me I had only 5 minutes) and I just jumped on that time. I also had it in my mind that the morning would be more busy, but after reading more threads here, I see that they are both very very busy. Now I realize that the heavy action must mean school visits or tour groups!

The sun does not set until 6:30.

Also, I figured that this would give us an activity when some attractions, and shops, might be closed. I do not usually eat lunch anymore, so when everyone is eating, we can be up there oooh-ing and ahh-ing!

Anyway, more on private tours, anyone?

Ana: I am so happy to "hear" from you. Yes, we finally are able to make this long-awaited trip. We have one week and will do 4 nights Madrid and 3 nights Granada. I have not been back to Spain since you-know-when and I am more excited than I usually get before trips. It is something I cannot explain. Maybe I was Spanish in the past! Are you ok and if so, any trips on the horizon? Besos!
Old Oct 14th, 2010, 02:45 AM
Original Poster

anyone else?
Old Oct 14th, 2010, 05:20 AM

Touring the Alhambra at night is one of the most sublime and exquisite experiences I've had touring any place anywhere. Whenever I hear someone is head ingto the Alhambra, I always urge them to visit the interior at night, and the gardens in the morning. During the day, the interior of the Alhambra is mobbed and noisy. At night, it exudes mystery.

I also urge everyone who can afford it to stay at the Parador right on the grounds of the Alhambra. The decor of the Parador is sumptuous, and elegant. and the location makes touring at night quite simple. I had so often heard that one needs to book this particular Parador years in advance, I almost didn't try. But when I sent an inquiry, they had a room -- quite a lovely one. If you are at all inclined to stay there and discover it is booked, keep trying.

The Alhambra is one of the great sights of travel. People can have Venice night. Give me the Alhambra at night
Old Oct 14th, 2010, 05:26 AM

In case my post wasn't clear, I was suggesting two entries: One to visit the site after dark, and a separate entry in the morning to see the gardens.

Wish I could advise on food but I was there in the summer, and my happiest memory was cold almond soup. Sounds like you are going in winter.
Old Oct 14th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Zeppole! We opted not to stay at the Parador because I want to be downtown, and because it has gotten quite expensive. But the nighttime visit is very much on the plan..these are allowed only on weekends in winter but our visit does span weekend dates.

I've been to the Alhambra once before but this was so long ago. Yet I remember it as a glorious experience. Sometimes I hesitate to return to places like this one that made such a strong impression on me..

I also booked one of the more intimate tours for another day--this is The Conquest of Water Tour--it is one of the Landscape and the Urban Environment Tours and is limited to groups of 15, I believe.

http://www.paseosporlaalhambra.com/

I have found some places to eat that sound promising....I might start a new thread about this soon..
Old Oct 16th, 2010, 05:43 AM

Oh sorry one more thing you asked if any more trip planned.....perhaps for the next Bienal in Sevilla in 2012. I see now it is something we need to go to amiga!
Old Oct 17th, 2010, 02:56 AM
Original Poster

Hola amiguita! Sevilla in 2012--I like the sound of that! For now, I will cover the scene in Granada and promise a full report for you!
Old Oct 17th, 2010, 10:17 AM

OK!! GREAT!
Old Oct 17th, 2010, 12:08 PM

ekscrunchy, I'll be watching for your trip report, especially for restaurant suggestions. I hope you like the Conquest of Water tour; I'm still planning of doing that too.
Old Oct 19th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Enzian: Have you seen this online tour of the Alhambra?

http://www.saudiaramcoworld.com/issu....alhambra.htm#
Old Oct 23rd, 2010, 04:14 AM

Love that virtual tour - really very cool. Thanks for the link. I can't wait to see it in person!
Old Oct 23rd, 2010, 05:53 PM

Fantastic!!! Thank you so much. We are doing it in segments, absorbing it all.
Old Oct 24th, 2010, 01:32 AM

ekscrunchy..what a wonderful link. thank you