We're traveling to Granada in September for a few days before heading to Madrid. I know it's been asked before, but wanted to get a little more detail on the choice between flying or taking the train from Granada and Madrid. Besides the obvious question of which do you recommend, a few other questions that may help us with the decision:
- are Iberia flights out of Granada pretty reliable or are there lots of delays?
- Granada appears to have a farily small airport, so is it fair to assume we can get to the airport an hour before departure time and be fine?
- finally, we're unsure if we are carrying on or checking in bags. We should (hopefully) have 2 carry-on sized bags only, but any thoughts if Iberia is very strict on checkins? and is there long baggage waits at Madrid?
We're coming from NYC, and given the need to get through security, plus delays, flying out of LaGuardia or JFK can take a lot longer than expected. It looks like the Granada - Madrid train is ~4.5 hrs, so I'm guessing hotel to hotel is about 6 hrs. And the flight is ~1 hour, so I'm guessing door to door ~3.5 hrs, assuming no delays (assuming centrally located hotels)?
We unfortunately have limited time in Spain so 4-5 hours can make a difference for us - any thoughts on any of the above would be much appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Where to stay in Naples?
- 2 Rome, Tuscany & Umbria
- 3 Help With Itinerary By Train: London, Paris, Nice, Florence
- 4 land vs river cruise
- 5 Pubs showing NFL football in London?
- 6 FCO hotel for late arrival?
- 7 Lisbon neighborhoods
- 8 Tips for first trip to UK
- 9 Restaurant suggestion Bamberg
- 10 Portugal
- 11 Browsing Barcelona
- 12 Planning to visit Italy in first 2 weeks of Jan
- 13 Spain December/ January 2018/19
- 14 Malaga Christmas lights
- 15 Sampling Some of Sicily and Bits of Italy Beyond
- 16 Croatia in mid/late October
- 17 Looking for Good Eating in Valencia
- 18 ROMA Pass inclusions. - 3 days in Rome
- 19 Help with Venice Trip?
- 20 Dubrovnik
- 21 What happened to Sundriedtopepo
- 22 The Little Cyclades, Santorini, Vienna
- 23 [Crete] Trapped in Skouloufia? Please help!
- 24 Norte Dame light show!
- 25 Where to Eat in Barcelona