Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Granada lodging - Hotel America or Guadalupe?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/granada-lodging-hotel-america-or-guadalupe-829541/)

kukunutgirl Mar 5th, 2010 03:21 PM

Granada lodging - Hotel America or Guadalupe??

We are narrowing down our lodging options to either the Hotel Guadalupe or America. We would like to experience seeing the Alhambra at night, hence these two choices. We are travelling with 2 boys age 10 and 7. Would appreciate hearing your experiences staying at either of the two. Thanks for any info!

Traviata Mar 6th, 2010 04:10 AM

Hi Kuku,

We stayed at the American about a year ago. If you want night access to the Alhambra, it is right next door. The staff was really nice, but, the hotel is old...the room that we had was very tired looking. If the budget allows, the Parador, just a bit away, is very, very nice.

Dukey Mar 6th, 2010 04:36 AM

I have to agree with everything Traviata has said. The location is great for the Alhambra and if nothing else, try to have dinner on the terrace of the Parador at night while overlooking the illuminated Alhambra.

As to the parador itself, it was, at one time and may still be, the single most popular of ALL the paradors in Spain and for good reason.

But if your main reason to be in Granada is to do the Alhambra then the America is in a great location as opposed to a hotel "at the bottom of the hill" and so forth. However, you can always get a taxi up and down and frankly, once you've done the Alhambra..well, you've done it and Granada itself can offer other activities and sights.

Egbert Mar 6th, 2010 07:09 AM

Staying there is kind of a hassle if you want access to Granada, tapas bars, walking etc. It's about a 10-15 min. walk down a hill through the woods. If all you want to do is see the Alhambra and don't mind eating at the hotel it's a good location though.

layanluvstotravel Mar 6th, 2010 07:21 AM

Kuku,

We've reserved at the Best Western (I don't recall it's local name but it's easy to find on expedia). My family stayed there before and said it was perfect location and beautiful hotel. Best part is the rate is low and we're a family with 3 kids! I would highly recommend you check them out.

annhig Mar 6th, 2010 07:33 AM

hi kuku,

I can't speak about the America as I've not stayed there, but the guadalupe was great. we stayed there about 3 years ago, and it was well-tended with big rooms [quite big enough for a family with 2 smallish children] and friendly staff.

as for the position, it's ideal for the alhambra, and getting up and down to the town is no problem - there's a bus every few minutes from outside the alhambra ticket office. it's a pleasant 10 minute walk down, and a few mainutes back up in the bus.

anyway, with 2 children you may not want to be spending too much time in the tapas bars at night - in which case the guadalupe has a pleasant restaurant. we ate there after we'd been to see the alhambra at night and can recommend the ox-tail stew.

hope this helps,

regards, ann

kukunutgirl Mar 8th, 2010 11:12 AM

Thanks for everyone's responses. We will be in Granada for 2 nights so we could feasibly stay near Alhambra or taking the bus is an option.
Layanluvstotravel, I will definitely check out Best Western to compare. We will be with another family of 5 so this might be a better option for all of us. I just don't want to miss seeing the Alhambra at night as a lot of folks rave about that experience.

Michael Mar 8th, 2010 11:22 AM

<i>The staff was really nice, but, the hotel is old...the room that we had was very tired looking.</i>

It sounds like it did not change since 1985 when we stayed there. At that time is was really cheap.

sueswny Apr 10th, 2010 03:17 AM

I'm also going to be in Granada with two children, ages 9 and 10. We have reserved at the Hotel Alixares. It's a short walk to Alhambra. Not as convenient as the America or Guadalupe, but the Alixares has a swimming pool--which I know the kids will enjoy. You can find great rates at the Alixares if you search.
I am also familiar with both the America and the Guadalupe. Good locations, very decent hotels for a short stay in Granada.

Paul1950 Apr 15th, 2010 06:35 AM

As others pointed out, the America is fine if all you want to see in Granada is the Alhambra, but it's inconvenient if you are at all interested in the rest of the city. Same with the Parador and the Guadalupe.

We had lunch at the Parador, and it was very good, but pricey. That's better than not very good and pricey, which we have also experienced in our world travels.

JanisV Apr 15th, 2010 07:07 AM

Just have to add that my husband and I stayed at the Hotel America as part of our honeymoon 15 years ago and just loved being at the Alhambra at night. I certainly couldn't tell you how the old place has held up, but back in the day, it was run by a wonderfully eccentric and funny old fellow, was very clean, and a good value. It's really all about the location, though.

Enjoy your trip - the Alhambra is amazing!

annhig Apr 15th, 2010 11:31 AM

As others pointed out, the America is fine if all you want to see in Granada is the Alhambra, but it's inconvenient if you are at all interested in the rest of the city. Same with the Parador and the Guadalupe.>>

Paul, we didn't find the Guadalupe inconvenient at all. it was of course very convenient for the Alhambra, but also, it was very easy to drive to [and enabled us to avoid the centre of town, by following the signs to the alhambra], had reduced cost parking in the alhambra car park, was nice and quiet, had a good restaurant, and was only 10 mins from the town centre, either on foot [walking down] or in the bus [on the way back up].

annhig Apr 15th, 2010 11:34 AM

As others pointed out, the America is fine if all you want to see in Granada is the Alhambra, but it's inconvenient if you are at all interested in the rest of the city. Same with the Parador and the Guadalupe.>>

Paul, we didn't find the Guadalupe inconvenient at all. it was of course very convenient for the Alhambra, but also, it was very easy to drive to [and enabled us to avoid the centre of town, by following the signs to the alhambra], had reduced cost parking in the alhambra car park, was nice and quiet, had a good restaurant, and was only 10 mins from the town centre, either on foot [walking down] or in the bus [on the way back up].

annhig Apr 15th, 2010 12:18 PM

oops, sorry for the double post.

Paul1950 Apr 19th, 2010 04:44 AM

annhig--it just depends on one's personal priorities. We like to just walk out of our accomodations and be in the center of things. Other people don't mind taking a bus or taxi or walking a bit to get to the center of things. Personal taste. For you and many other people, the location of the Guadalupe isn't inconvenient. For us and many other people, it would be a daily irritant. Of course, your having a car makes a difference too.

annhig Apr 22nd, 2010 12:51 PM

Paul - you're right of course. Normally i don't mind staying a little way out of the centre and walking/using public transport, as we did in Grnanda.

this tactic went badly wrong in Barcelona last September, however, when our hotel [booked by DH as a birthday present to me, LOL] - the Fira Palace - was quite a long way from the centre AND the nearest metro. I ended up with VERY sore feet and a somewhat jaundiced view of Barcelona which I'm sure it doesn't deserve.

when we went to Rome in February, I made sure that we were VERY central indeed!

the difference of course is that Granada is much smaller than either Barcelona or Rome.