Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Granada: Hotel Guadalupe vs. Puerta de las Granadas???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11th, 2006, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to be staying in Granada for one night only to visit the Alhambra and will be keeping our rental car (so parking is a concern). We initially tried to book the Hotel Guadalupe for its location, but because it was unavailable we booked the Puerta de las Granadas. Now the Guadalupe has a room available.

Does anyone have experience with either? It seems that at the Puerta de las Granadas you need to park and take a taxi, but is the location better?

Thank you for any thoughts.
Old Dec 11th, 2006, 10:00 AM

Puerta de las Granadas is very convenient to the bus up to the Alhambra, to all of the center of town, and for walking back to town from the fortress, but not for parking.

I loved the hotel, especially its very helpful staff, but if parking convenience is important to you, this isn't the place. We parked some distance away and took a taxi to the hotel; upon checking out (we knew our way around by then) we walked about 10 minutes to the garage.
Old Dec 11th, 2006, 11:22 AM

Hi-
My Mom and I stayed in the Hotel Guadalupe last year. The location certainly can't be beat!
I thought our room was very nice.
If you want to see photos of our room, it's on my website:
http://www.wired2theworld.com/spain2005day5.html
Old Dec 11th, 2006, 02:35 PM

Kristine, I have been enjoying your post with photos, and wondering how I could make one myself. Could you tell me?
Besides, a couple of things:
the customer in Spain is always right. If you did not agree with the wine, you did well returning it. When they insisted in charging it, just ask for the complaint sheet and fill it up. (This is extensive to all travellers). If they refuse to give you the sheet, call the police, they'll be eager to help you. And if it is 2 eur for you, it may be just 10 cent for the bartender, so he shouldn't have complained.

And second... yes, much has changed in southern Spain in the last 15 years, and not all for good.
Old Dec 11th, 2006, 08:15 PM

Josele-I'm not sure what to tell you about making your own website. I've owned the site/domain name since 1998. I know a lot of people make "blogs" now, you might want to check out blogspot.com. I think it's free and easy. My way is a bit more complicated.
As for the wine, I had no idea one could fill out a complaint sheet in a bar in Madrid.

als0107-sorry to hijack your thread. Hope you have a great time in Granada where ever you stay.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

We are just back from the trip and wanted to follow up regarding these two hotels.

We ended up at Hotel Guadalupe and could not have been happier with the decision. The location across from the Alhambra was key! We drove in and finding the hotel was no problem as you could just follow signs for the Alhambra. The parking is in fact in the Alhambra lot.

We had booked the first appointment time for the Nasrid Palace at 8:30 am and it was so nice to be able to stumble across the street at 7:30 in the morning (and we were NOT the first in line) rather than having to drive anywhere.

Also, the shuttle buses down into town run regularly and right down from the hotel (cost is 1 euro per person) so it was no problem at all to hop on and get to everything else really quickly.

And as we were leaving right after our visit to the Alhambra, it was so nice to already have everything in the car and a spot right up front to hop in after our tour and easily get out of town.

Off topic, but if I were going to book again I would do anything to make sure I got the first appointment of the day for the Nasrid Palaces. It was really special to see the grounds without tons of people around. As the time got later and more people came in, the atmosphere definately changes.