Granada as a day trip from Seville?

Feb 15th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Granada as a day trip from Seville?

We will be spending 4 nights in Seville and 5 nights in Madrid at the beginning of March. We'd love to see Granada, but don't feel like packing/unpacking in a 3rd location for one night. Is it possible to do Granada as a (long) day trip from Seville or is this a ludicrous idea?
Feb 15th, 2009, 07:48 AM

I think the trip is about 3 hours by bus. Could be different if you are driving. You might be able to pull it off and see Alhambra for several hours but not much more of Granada.
Feb 15th, 2009, 07:51 AM

Hi love2explore; It is possible, as a long day, by car. It would probably take up to three hours each way. You could check www.maribelsguides.com/ for possible bus/train or same day tour possibilities. ENJOY Iris
Feb 15th, 2009, 08:24 AM

The road between Seville and Granada is a high quality four lane divided and limited access highway. I think the estimate of three hours each way is correct, but would be concerned that traffic and road construction, particularly in Granada, might add a half an hour to that.

It seems to me you would lose far less time unpacking for an extra night than you would spend on the road, possibly as much as seven hours. The Parador of Granada is within the grounds of the Alhambra and we spent a lovely night there during November, several years ago. We had breakfast at the Alhambra Palace Hotel last year and it was very nice, but I cannot vouch for the rooms.

Feb 15th, 2009, 09:10 AM

Hi; Jeff has a good point. What are your flight plans? In what order do you plan your city stays? Iris
Feb 15th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

we fly into Madrid on the 27th, then train direcly down to Seville for 4 nights, then back to Madrid for 5 nights, heading back to the US in the AM. (We thought it wise to end in Madrid just in case any train employees feel like going on strike ) I'm thinking we either leave our suitcases at the hotel in Seville and take an overnight bag to Granada, or leave Granada for another time (perhaps with a visit to the Costa del Sol)...
Feb 15th, 2009, 05:20 PM

love2explore,
Either take an overnight bag and spend the night in Granada, ideally on the Alhambra hill (I can vouch for the rooms at the Alhambra Palace and the Parador) or simply leave Granada for your next trip. Granada simply doesn't make a suitable day trip at all from Seville because of the distance/travel time (and earlier sunset in early March compared to the summer months).
Two nights in Granada are even better, so as to be able to explore both the Alhambra hill and the sights of downtown.
Feb 19th, 2009, 08:37 PM

Granada has a different feel than either of your other stops. Take one less day in both Sevilla and Madrid and spend two in Granada. To see the Alhambra will take most of a day.

If you don't make it to Granada, the gardens of the Real Alcazar (Royal Palace) in Sevilla are still very nice, although not as popular as the Alhambra.