Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Granada area,Sierra Nevada and Alpujarras in December

Old May 17th, 2000, 02:48 AM
Gillian

Can anyone recommend a pretty mountain village with good accomodation and attached restaurant that is easily accessed from Granada during December?

Old May 17th, 2000, 06:52 AM
Maribel

Gillian, <BR>For lodging in the Alpujarras see <BR>www.rusticblue.com <BR>But if you're looking for accomodations for a ski vacation in the Sierra Nevada (I think I remember your question about a Dec. ski trip in Spain from another post), I wouldn't stay in the Alpujarras in winter. It's quite a remote area, slow driving even in summer, and the villages are at least 50 min from the center of Granada, plus another 40 min to reach the slopes of Solynieve. And that secondary narrow road from Capileira to Sierra Nevada should only be attempted, if you're adventurous, in an SUV in summer. We've never done it, and friends say it's difficult at best. I would either stay in Granada and take the bus back and forth to the slopes or stay at Solynieve itself. <BR>You can see Sierra Nevada accomodations with prices at www.centursa.es and restaurants/nightlife at <BR>http://www.absolute-marbella.com/escapes/ski.htm <BR>Hope this helps. <BR>Maribel

Old May 20th, 2000, 08:29 PM
gillian

Maribel, <BR> <BR>Thanks again for your helpful reply!You have a good memory! <BR> <BR>We're not so much focussed on the skiing (although that was always an option) as finding somewhere to spend a traditional Spanish Christmas, where we could join in with meals provided by a good guesthouse/hotel and then experience midnight mass, etc. The idea of a "white" christmas is appealing, but the main desire is to experience a traditional christmas. The more I investigated the pyrennees the more I found that access to most places, except perhaps Jaca (which we're still following up) would be by long windy roads and lengthy bus journeys (which I hate!).Jaca, of course, can be reached by train. <BR> <BR>Further enquiries suggested that the South is more traditional and religious. <BR> <BR>Also, I don't want to drive on difficult roads (so your helpful comments on the Alpujarras would also seem to rule that out!). <BR> <BR>Our ideal would be to find somewhere (House/apartment or guest house/hotel)to stay for a week or so over Christmas - where was can join in the traditional meals (if we're in a house/apartment we'd need to ba able to book ahead at a suitable restaurant), attend religous services, but also have access to nearby areas of interest. <BR> <BR>Given you good knowledge of all parts of Spain,would you be able to suggest somewhere that might "fit the bill"? <BR> <BR>Thanks, Gillian

Old May 22nd, 2000, 11:26 AM
Maribel

Hi Gillian, <BR>I just might have the place...How about the province of Segovia? Advantages-an easy 1 1/2 hr drive from Madrid airport, a graceful small city oozing in Old Castilian ambiance ,a glorious Roman aqueduct, the beautiful Alcazar and a Cathedral, 2 nice, well-priced small hotels ("Los Linajes" and "Infanta Isabel"), fine restaurants that should be open for Xmas ("Candido", "Jose Maria", "Duque"), skiing in both Navacerrada and Pinilla (not Alpine class but where all the madrilenos go to ski on weekends-but you can ski mid-week and avoid lines), beautiful scenery of the Sierra de Guadarrama, lots of atmospheric towns to explore (Pedraza, Riaza, Cuellar, Sepulveda), two well-preserved castles at Coca and Manzanares, the Bourbon kings' Palace at San Idelfonso-La Granja, the medieval walled city of Avila, Phillip II's El Escorial and Franco's Valley of the Fallen nearby. You can take a bus from Madrid (2 hrs) but you'd need a car once there, but the driving is easy, I promise. I remember (and have pics of) wonderful snowy winter weekends in Segovia as a student. A very cozy, peaceful place to be. <BR>If you prefer a family run B&B with attached restaurant, I've heard great things about the "Hostal de Buen Amor" and its rest. "El Porche de las Casillas" in Sotosalbos, 12 km from Segovia. 11 rms.-1 suite. Designer interiors, antiques, English speaking owners (lived in UK). Warm, intimate. <BR>Tel: 921 403020 Fax: 921 403022 <BR>How does this sound? <BR>Maribel <BR>

Old May 22nd, 2000, 09:00 PM
gillian

Maribel, <BR> <BR>It sounds great! <BR> <BR>I'll make a note of your email and may take the liberty of contacting you directly later on as my plans for Spain fall in place! <BR> <BR>Gillian

Old Jun 10th, 2000, 12:24 PM
Maribel

Gillian, <BR>Me yet again. <BR>Just thought I would pass on an update about the "Hostal de Buen Amor" in Sotosalbos. The British Food & Travel mag. May issue did an article about dining in the city and province of Segovia, and the author praised both his meal at the Hostal's restaurant "Las Casillas" and the friendly owners themselves, Victor and Dora Lopez, who speak perfect English. I don't know whether this mag. is sold in Australia (where you live, correct?) or not, but the article serves as another nice endorsement of a place that seems to be a winner. Just wanted to let you know. <BR>Have fun planning your Xmas trip to Spain! <BR>Maribel

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 03:55 AM
gillian

Maribel, <BR> <BR>Thanks for your additional comment. I have been in contact a couple of times with Sotosalbos. Unfortunately they're very slow to respond and haven't specifically answered my question as to whether they'll be open for dinner on Christmas Eve. I don't want to be staying somewhere where we can't have a good meal that night, given the significance. I get the impression they're not interested, but maybe I'm reading it wrong! On the other hand Los Linajes sent a really nice note (although the dining room is formally closed that night so we'd have to eat alone without service) and Maria Isabel was also quick to reply. <BR> <BR>Any suggestions gladly received as always! <BR> <BR>Gillian <BR> <BR>p.s.you may see I've put some new messages up about Santiago de Compostela and staying in the South over Ndew Year's Eve.

Old Jul 5th, 2000, 06:44 AM
Maribel

Gillian, <BR>Sorry I havenīt responded til now-have been here in Spain since early June for our annual 6 wk stay and happened to be looking thru the Forum while checking email at a cybercafe here in Bilbao and found your message. <BR>Iīm surprised the Hostal del Buen Amor hasnīt responded. They have an excellent reputation here, but itīs likely that they wonīt have their restaurant open for Xmas since it falls on Mon and rest. is open only on weekends. I was in Segovia June 16 and checked out the Linajes once again plus a new 4 star Estancias de Espaņa hotel, the Hostal Ayala Berganza, a recent ambitious restoration of a lovely 17th c mansion with a lugubrious past (multiple unsolved murders!). It has stunningly decorated rms but the public spaces are few and lack atmosphere, the breakfast rm and tavern also are void of atmosphere, no grounds to speak of, and itīs is simply too new to have the patina or cozy charm of the Linajes. If you do book the Linajes, ask for a rm with terrace-beautiful views of countryside. Also donīt worry at all about meals. Youīll have wonderful, highly atmospheric restaurants in Candido, Jose Maria, Duque, La Concepcion and Narizotas (the latter is a great find if you tire of the typical, heavy Castilian fare of roast lamb/suckling pig), and Iīm sure one of them will serve a festive Xmas Eve or Xmas dinner. Frankly, I wouldnīt take that meal at Los Linajes. Your teenagers might even enjoy the disco, although make sure your rm isnīt next to it! <BR>While in Segovia, I took the bus to Avila (easy trip) and could have also bussed to La Granja (palace rms recently restored), Pedraza and Riaza. <BR>Regarding the Infanta Isabel on the Plaza Mayor, I think you might like the coziness, the tucked-away, hard-to-find quality of the Linajes better and typical Castilian decor. The Infanta Isabelīs decor is more feminine, Frenchified Empire style. Both the same price. Both very, very nice for the price. Also, if you book the Linajes, ask if Ibercheque coupons can be used for your dates. An American couple was paying their bill with these coupons when I was there, and itīs a considerable savings. (email me for details or check the ĻBancotel or El Corte Ingles couponsĻthread. <BR>By the way, no scaffoling in sight save the restoration of one church. <BR>If you have any more questions, feel free to email me directly.

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 03:18 AM
gillian

Dear Maribel <BR>As you can see, I've also been off the air for a while. It's end of financial year in Australia which has kept me focused on issues other than holidays! <BR>When I sent the other replies I hadn't seen your latest comment on Segovia, so thanks. <BR> <BR>I hope to put an itinerary together over the next couple of weeks, so will take the liberty of running it by you for ideas/comment. <BR>Thank you so much! <BR>Gillian

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 04:16 PM
Gillian_is_a_fag

You're a fag Gillian <BR>