Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Graduation trip - before I go out into the "real world". Where to go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At the age of 31, I've finally completed all these years of training and will be graduating in late July. My husband and I would like to go on a two to three week trip somewhere to celebrate, but there are so many places I'd like to go, I'm having a hard time choosing!

We like warm weather, beaches, good (different) food, relatively inexpensive, history and culture. I have been to Turkey, which is my favorite country of all time, followed by Costa Rica. China (Beijing, Xian) was great but not as relaxing as I'm looking for. Yucatan peninsula, we got sick. We've been to Thailand and Cambodia, on our honeymoon just 6 months ago, which we loved. I am thinking Peru, Italy (though we've both been there as children), Hong/Kong and Southern China, India, Israel(concerned about safety, though), Greece, Croatia, New Zealand, Nepal/Bhutan (though I'm not so much into the trekking kind of vacation), or Africa (don't know where - Egypt maybe). I loved Turkey so much I want to bring him there, but it seems silly since there are so many other countries to see. I am open to new ideas too.

Please help! I am so torn and once I start working, I won't be able to take a vacation like this for a long time!
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:18 AM

I'm prejudiced: I spend all my holidays in Italy.

That said, Sicily could give you all you want: warm weather, beaches, (different) food (because of the Arab influence), history and culture in huge and varied quantities: the Greeks, the Romans, the Byzantines, the Arabs, the Normans, the Swabians, the Spanish - all of whom left their mark (and I may have forgotten a few...)
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:19 AM

I don't know what your field is, but don't see why you won't be able to take a two week vacation once you start working. I have always been able to my entire life in every job I've had. I've never had a job that gave less than two weeks vacation to a beginner. Now I know some do, but I wouldn't expect that to be true of professional jobs that require many years of training.

That isn't relevant to place suggestions, just I've seen a lot of young people on here act like getting a real job is the end of life, and I never had that opinion even when I was young, and it's not true, so you might not go into a vacation thinking it has to be something to last you for 30 years, as that's hard to measure up to.

I've been to Egypt and really enjoyed it because it was so different and I've always been fascinated by Egyptian history, but that is not the place to go for some relaxing vacation on the beach, etc., as you seem to want. So I would not do that or any place in Africa based on what your desires seem to be, and the fact that you mentioned the sickness problem you had even in the Yucutan peninsula. When I was in Egypt on a tour, about 90 pct of the folks got sick (sometimes for days) and they often were careless and caused it themself for that reason, although it is always a danger. I did not get sick, but some idiots went swimming in the Nile, for example (guess what, weird bacteria in there).

Greece sounds like a good idea for you, and I loved Greece, but I love Greek food, dancing, and am fascinated by that history, also. I think that's a good idea for you, as there are lots of islands and many different areas of Greece, and it's got everything else you want. I'm not big on beaches myself, find that whole scene boring, so I might have missed them, but the beaches I was at in Greece were not the super powdery sand kind of the Caribbean or Yucutan peninsula. They weren't just rocks as in some places, but they weren't that super great.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:36 AM

I vote for Greece (just don't breathe a word while your there of how much you loved Turkey).

Since you have so much time, you might consider revisiting Turkey.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:51 AM

Hey Christina, lighten up. eva30 is not such a "young people". The fact is, yes after a probationary period most jobs do give a two week vacation. What thet really means is 10 days off to not only take a vacation trip but also to be used if you have some other event that requires a day off. 10 days a year ain't a whole lot of time and most jobs don't give a third week until you've worked a few years (my company, that's 5 years).
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 10:54 AM

If she is just completing her training at age 31, she may be a doctor. . . in which case she has a valid concern about vacation time for the next few years.

My husband went to France (alone) when he finished his residency and fellowship training. It was then twenty-five years before he returned to Europe (with me). I can see why this choice might be important to eve30.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Hi Enzian,

You are correct. I am just completing fellowship and will be joining a busy private practice. But 25 years! I don't know if I'll survive 25 years with no traveling!

eva
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:26 AM
ira

Hi eva,

May I suggest the Grand Tour?

A week in London, Eurostar to Paris for one wee, fly www.myair.com to Venice (3 days), train to Rome, fly home.

Have a nice vacation.

Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:35 AM

Hi eva---congratulations. You have made a wonderful career choice.

He did travel a bit within the U.S. (mostly Hawaii); he just didn't take two weeks off to return to Europe until he met me!

Hopefully even a busy private practice will understand the need for you to have a life and to take vacations.

But for you upcoming trip, since you posted your question on the Europe board, are you leaning toward Europe? It seems like you like more exotic places. But for off the beaten path places in Europe, there are people here who will give you lots of help and suggestions.
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 02:33 AM

Forom your list, Greece seems to fit the bill
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 04:19 AM

Laos...and include the part of Thialand that lies within the golden triangle if you have not been.
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 12:07 PM

Well. I'm gonna say New Zealand (because it is my home that I miss). Completely different from Turkey. No ancient history but it is beautiful and relaxing. And you really need 3 weeks if you are going to travel that far so it is a great opportunity to see a part of the world so few Americans go to. (I assume you are american?).

But July would be winter. Still very beautiful but have to nix the beaches.

However, if you loved Turkey then I guess the suggestions above are all great options in Europe!
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 12:20 PM

The Greek Islands in the summertime are fantastic. The water's warm and you'll meet travellers from all over the world. Check out the many Santorini websites.
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 01:56 PM

I keep hearing a lot about how wonderful the beaches in Croatia are - might want to investigate a bit there.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 04:11 PM

My view is that you cannot go wrong with the Greek isles. My fiance and I spent a wonderful week in Santorini which is a truly magical place unlike any other I have seen. The archeological sites are amazing and the people are so very friendly. We also travelled to Rhodes (very near Turkey) which also offered an array of delites. Each of the islands offers something unique and would fit well with what you have stated you are looking for.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 04:57 PM

okay, I am a little prejudiced but I'd say try Portugal. It has everything that you want. The weather,beaches, history,culture,great food and one of the most reasonable places to go cost-wise.Look at the Portugal threads and see for yourself!