Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Graduate Program Resource for Italy or other areas of Europe

Graduate Program Resource for Italy or other areas of Europe

Aug 26th, 2003, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Graduate Program Resource for Italy or other areas of Europe

I know this is a huge shot in the dark but here goes. I want to explore graduate school options in Italy. I am finding Italian history and Art all over the place. I am however looking for the ideal that will transition me into a career upon return. Something that is more marketable than teaching. Again I am just exploring now. If you have ideas on resources that would be helpful GRATCIE.

I guess teaching english is out of the question in Italy? If I were to go for a year to learn the language first? Anybody?
Aug 26th, 2003, 08:03 AM

What subject to you want to take a graudate degree in? Italian history? Art history?

If your ultimate goal is to have a career in the US, my opinion is that you will be better off going to a US graduate school which has a program/affiliation with a school in Italy. I would think you would want want your degree to be from a well-regarded graduate school in the US. A degree from an Italian university which is very well regarded in your field would also be good; however you have to find out what those universities are, and my guess is that they are already affiliated with US institutions. Try searching US graduate schools in your field which allow you to take a year on Italy (or longer) at their affiliate Italian university.
Aug 26th, 2003, 09:58 AM

I think it would be a good idea if you tried to figure out what you want to study and what kind of career you want rather than letting availability of a certain course dictate your future. YOu didn't mentioned what you WANT to do, only what classes you can find, so it's hard to say. If you have a real interest and professional goal, you can probably find graduate studies in Italy in the field, but you'll have to check out language requirements. Of course, there are some that make more sense than others -- Italian history and art, of course, but certainly Italian language and literature would make sense--not that there are a lot of jobs in that field.

Certainly there are graduate programs in Italy in science (physics, chemistry, etc), health, medicine, information technology, engineering, and international business, I'm sure. I could be wrong, but it seems to me Italian universities are especially strong in some sciences, such as physics and medicine, and economics--that may just be what I've run across, though, in my work. And of course, you have all kinds of visual arts and design fields, as well as performing arts (such as music, but that isn't something you do casually), and architecture and archeology.

For ideas, here's one link for the international school of advanced studies of Turin (I think their classes are in English). I think it gives information on the various programs and things on there, as well as admission requirements:
http://www.unito.it/
Aug 26th, 2003, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

Hi Christina,

As I said I am exploring so your link to Turin is helpful. I would like to look at several programs at different institutions. I am not narrowing a career focus at this stage. So if you know resources for any profession than list. I am canceling out medical school and engineering programs. Probably won't consider business school either. If you know a resource that has been helpful to you or someone you know than list it. Thanks in advance.

Anyone know about teaching in Italy?
Aug 27th, 2003, 04:49 AM

American University's School of International Service has a program in Trento at the University of Trento. You would probably not be able to get your entire degree there but could probably take a year's worth of classes. The degree is an MA in international studies and different specialties are available. http://www.american.edu/sis/trento/
Aug 27th, 2003, 05:04 AM

So what's your undergraduate degree in?
Aug 27th, 2003, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks DC, a friend of mine went to American University Cairo for Graduate school. I was looking for Italy's branch but was not having success.

I have a BA in Political Science. Taught at the Elementary level about 10 years ago for about 4years but this is really not a career path I wish to pursue. I am looking at occupational therapy and physical therapy options.

Search this Thread