Search

GPS in France

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2005, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GPS in France

I have used a GPS often while traveling in the US. I am hooked. We have rented a car with GPS in France and would like some opinions from those who have used them in Europe. Are they easy to understand and follow? Can you simply enter addresses like the ones in US? Any comments are welcome.
Old May 12th, 2005, 10:23 AM
J62

I've rented several cars in Germany with GPS and they were both very different from US (Hertz). The ones in Germany came factory installed on a BMW & Skoda. Since I didn't need the GPS where I was going, I just played around with it a while and both worked fine. The trick was figuring out what address/town/etc to enter and how to do it.

The German language instruction manual on the BMW was easy to follow but the Skoda was illogical - at least to my US brain.

BTW, both were setup in German when I rented the car, so be sure to ask the rental car co (before you leave the counter/terminal) to set it for English.
Old May 12th, 2005, 03:11 PM

I've used the navigation systems twice in Europe, once in a Mercedes and once in a BMW. If you've used the BMW ones here, they're the same in Europe. Both are pretty easy to figure out. The best part is, the one in the BMW that we had knew when there was traffic and would give us a detour. The downside was that it often interpreted a toll plaza as traffic and would send us on long detours if we chose to take them! Anyway, I can't imagine driving again in Europe without one now!!
Old May 12th, 2005, 03:20 PM

I've rented a Hertz Jaguar, BMW and Mercedes with navigation. At the end of the day it really pays off, driving into Paris with it directing you to the hotel front door is so much easier than a map, trust me. I've been researching getting a Garmin unit that I can take with me, because they can never guarantee that they will have one available, that is the problem that I have encountered. The units are the same as here, you just adjust the language.
Old May 12th, 2005, 04:26 PM

Hello R:

I bought a Garmin iQue 3600 and used it in France late last year. Worked extremely well and took all of the stress out of driving. Gradyghost
Old May 12th, 2005, 04:38 PM

Gradyghost: thanks for the tip on the IQue 3600, i'll check it out.
Old May 12th, 2005, 04:43 PM

I've been considering a Garmin for driving in S France/ N Italy this summer. Sounds like it's well worth it. Any other tips? What's the best about that model?
Old May 12th, 2005, 04:56 PM

check out GARMIN.COM.