Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   GPS in France (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/gps-in-france-1035415/)

VanDollar Jan 23rd, 2015 05:59 PM

GPS in France

I have a Garmin RV 760 which I use in my motorhome. I have installed the SD card for France. Problem is that I am not certain how to enter addresses in France. For example, on which lines should I put this address: 74, rue du Puits, 14600 Honfleur? The extra numbers in front of Honfleur confuse me.

joannyc Jan 23rd, 2015 06:24 PM

The 14600 is their equivalent of the US zip code. You put 74 in the street address, rue de Puits in the street, and Honfluer in the city selection.

Enjoy Honfleur, I loved that town!

dotheboyshall Jan 24th, 2015 01:32 AM

How big is your motorhome? I ask as there are regular stories about people using car GPS for larger vehicles and getting stuck in narrow streets

Rubicund Jan 24th, 2015 02:31 AM

It's unclear from your post whether you will be using the motorhome in France, or whether you only mention it because that's where you normally use the Garmin. dbh is absolutely correct if you are using it in France, so take care.

You also need to be aware that in France, it's illegal to use a GPS that has speed camera locations enabled.

ParisAmsterdam Jan 25th, 2015 05:11 AM

I have a few TomToms. I live in Ontario. As an example, if I plug in "Saint Lambert" as a destination in Quebec it doesn't work. Neither does "St Lambert". But if a use a hyphen as in "St-Lambert" in works fine. So be careful as to exactly how you type in a destination.

I suspect all these stories about 'people getting stuck in narrow streets' is just silly. Like the ones of people driving into rivers because their Sat nav device told them to. There are big S Class Mercedes Benz cars in France as well as large buses (autocars) and large goods vans. They seem to be able to circulate around with getting jammed in streets! ;^)

Jeff801 Jan 25th, 2015 06:33 AM

While I am willing to accept that it may be a reflection of my (lack of)driving skill, there are villages here in the Dordogne that have streets in which I have difficulty driving a Peugeot 308. A camper van would be impossible on those streets, onto which I have been directed by my Garmin.

The worst problems are encountered when entering otherwise unknown one way streets that have only narrow exits. I have learned to be very careful about town directions. Often I will just follow the blue parking signs, part the car,and explore by foot at least until I can get a good map at the local tourist office.

VanDollar Jan 25th, 2015 04:45 PM

I was unclear in my post. I will be using the RV-760 in a rental car. It can be switched to car or Rv mode. My problem is understanding the address format and how to enter in my GPS

DebitNM Jan 25th, 2015 04:52 PM

If you have a smart phone, just use that. Google maps works great in France as a GPS

Robert2533 Jan 25th, 2015 05:07 PM

A stand alone GPS seems to be a thing of the past. All we use is the iPhone. Works great, especially with T-Moble.

Jean Jan 25th, 2015 05:36 PM

The OP already has a Garmin, is generally familiar with it and has loaded maps for France, so it would make sense that he/she use the Garmin. But, VanDollar, if you decide to use your phone, make sure you know what carrier charges you could incur and have a phone charger with you at all times.

joannyc Jan 25th, 2015 05:50 PM

<< My problem is understanding the address format and how to enter in my GPS>>

I answered that in the first response to your question, didn't I? You do not enter the "zip code" into the address selection fields. You select the country, city, street address and street. Just like in the USA.