Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Got our tickets to Italy - any advice for the route? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/got-our-tickets-to-italy-any-advice-for-the-route-657578/)

nkluedke Nov 8th, 2006 08:42 AM

Got our tickets to Italy - any advice for the route?

Hi all - Thanks for all the advice previously on flying in and out of Italy. We've decided to avoid flying in Venice all together. Now we fly into Milan early on June 16th and leave Pisa on June 30th. We'd like to visit Venice, Florence, and smaller cities in Tuscany, but other than that, we're up for anything! Any advice on the route we should take since we're starting in Milan? Would visiting Lake Como be too much to squeeze in? Thanks!

ronin Nov 8th, 2006 09:05 AM

nkluedke - Lake Como (numerous posts!) is a great (2-night?) place to get over jet-lag, and it's one of the few places you won't have to consider air-conditioning as a lodging plus. I personally enjoyed Milano, but a partial day & evening might be enough considering all you have ahead of you. Let the tour book buying begin!

I'm curious about how you booked the open-jaw flight? Travel agent?

ira Nov 8th, 2006 09:11 AM

Hi R,

Almost all websites permit open-jaw flights. Click Multi-City.

I like www.kayak.com

((I))

ira Nov 8th, 2006 09:13 AM

Hi NK,

I suggest that you leave at least 3 nights for Venice and 4 for Florence (Siena daytrip)

Otherwise, you have plenty of time to go anywhere.

((I))

ronin Nov 8th, 2006 09:15 AM

ira - thanks! so I don't have to high-tail it back to Paris next trip? ;-)

nkluedke Nov 8th, 2006 09:31 AM

thanks all! We just booked through American Airlines two one way flights. Forgive me for being geographically challenged, but would you recommend Milan (1 day) to Lake Como (2 days) to Venice (3 days) to Florence (3 days) to Siena and various small cities (5 days) to Pisa? Does this make the most sense? I'm trying to map it out so I can attempt to make some hotel reservations...

ira Nov 8th, 2006 09:34 AM

Hi NK,

That's somewhat more changing of hotels than I like, but it's doable.

You can rent a car in Florence, drive throough Tuscany and drop it off in Pisa.

((I))

nkluedke Nov 8th, 2006 10:45 AM

Ira - do you suggest skipping lake como and just going straight to venice from milan? spend time in cities on the way to florence (bologna, modena, etc)?

bobthenavigator Nov 8th, 2006 11:42 AM

You have the shell of a good trip. Here is what I see--do not skip Como.

Arrive MXP---to Varenna on Lago Como-3
Train to venice--3
Train to Florence--2
Get car--to Tuscany base--5
Last nite near Pisa--drop car

That is a good start---you tweek from there.

ira Nov 8th, 2006 01:22 PM

Hi nk,

>Ira - do you suggest skipping lake como and just going straight to venice from milan?<

Not necessarily. My Lady Wife and I travel more slowly than you are planning to do.

If you are comfortable with what you have planned, I think that Bob (as usual) has a good scheme.

Enjoy your visit.

((I))

annhig Nov 8th, 2006 01:34 PM

don't forget that if you want to climb the leaning tower, you can book online at www.opa-pisa.it - you can just turn up on the day but you may be unlucky and find it's fully booked - only 30 people allowed every 40 minutes.
If you wanted to stay in Pisa your last night, you can do worse than the hotel we stayed at 24 years ago, and again last month - the royal victoria - a bit faded, but oh, what elegance!