Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Good weather travel- January in Europe? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/good-weather-travel-january-in-europe-414244/)

hopefultraveler Aug 16th, 2008 12:54 PM

Good weather travel- January in Europe?

We are four women, two moms and their college age daughers- dreaming of a vacation over the girls college break. Any suggestions for the first two weeks of January? THANKS !!

qwovadis Aug 16th, 2008 01:08 PM

www.vila-branca.com

Lagos
Algarve
Best weather for me
that time of year
great ambience
Reasonable
Check reviews tripadvisor.com

chevre Aug 16th, 2008 03:59 PM

I have been really fortunate I think but I often travel in January and I have yet to experience horrible weather. Several times to Paris in the winter and while it is cold (30s-40s) and even a couple days of snow, it hasn't been raining. Barcelona a few years ago was in the 40s - 50s. I was most surprised by how cold Rome was this past winter; 30s and 40s. But! every day was sunny. I would much rather have sunny cold weather than very hot weather or tons of rain.

afterall Aug 16th, 2008 04:58 PM

It's not going to very warm wherever you go - not warm enough for warm weather activities if you know what I mean! And nobody can guarantee rain or no rain.

I once spent seven days either side of New Year split between Venice and Florence. Though the temp in Venice was only 2-3C the skies were a brilliant blue every day, and it's blessedly quiet compared to high season. Just go with the right gear (gloves, woolly hat, warm jacket) and the cold ceases to be a significant issue.

Cheers.

nytraveler Aug 16th, 2008 05:09 PM

January is winter in europe - all of europe.

In the mountains or the north it will be heavy winter - like Boston or NYC. Further south it will be more moderate winter - perhaps like Va or the Carolinas.

There are not semi-tropical climates in europe - so if you're thinking beach - you have to go to the Carib.

For touring weather you will do best in southern Spain or southern Italy - where you will get 50's or perhaps some days in the 60's.

Farther north and you may get 40's - clear or rainy - or 30's and less and snow (mountains, Scandinavia and much of Central european plain).

suze Aug 16th, 2008 08:28 PM

Well, it IS winter-time :-)

How "good" of good weather are you hoping for?

zeppole Aug 16th, 2008 08:37 PM

Why Europe?

Go to South America. Buenos Aires. Take tango lessons.

In Europe, days are short and probably cold. You'd just be lucky if you weren't walking around chilled most of the time.

If you insist on Europe, go to someplace where they really do cold weather well -- like Austria. Or Berlin. Or Amsterdam. Or Belgium. Or Switzerland. Someplace with hot chocalate, melted cheese, soup, brown bread, etc.

Don't head for olive oil country, with no fireplaces and shuttered up cafes.

Enjoy the snow -- or head to the southern hemisphere (it's cheaper there too).

suze Aug 16th, 2008 08:47 PM

I think Switzerland (but go expecting snow or at least cold weather) is a great idea! Eat fondue by the fireplace.

eliza3 Aug 17th, 2008 04:34 AM

We spent 2 weeks in Seville Xmas /New Year 2006 and it was very mild. We ate outside most evenings. I can only tell you temps in celcius but was about 17 during the day and around 12 at night so we were not wearing heavy coats etc.

I guess it depends on how much cold you want to tolerate. I would tend to go either warm as possible or the opposite but that is just me. We spent 5 days in Vienna last Xmas which was wonderful - Xmas markets, skating rinks, gluwein etc but was COLD and with very very short days - pitch dark by 4pm.