Museums in Vienna - so much to do, so little time =/

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18th, 2013, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey there! Im visiting vienna next year and being such a modern art enthusiastic as i am, im very excited about this trip =)))
unfortunately, i won´t have enough time to visit ALL museums: i´ll stay in the city for only 2 1/2 days. and, no matter how much i love art: i can´t spend my whole stay in the city inside museums.

so, im asking you guys for help: which museums would you recomend? see, im more interested at late 19th century/ 20th century art. and, of course, the inside architecture and the whole museum experience.

from what i read so far, those are my options:

- Mumok
- Albertina
- Leopold Museum (is it a tiny museum? from what i read, sounds like Thyessen in Madrid)
- Belvedere

tks in advance!
Old Oct 18th, 2013, 11:27 AM

You should also try to see the Hundertwasser Museum.

http://www.kunsthauswien.com/en/museum/the-museum
Old Oct 18th, 2013, 01:15 PM

I don't usually think modern museums are that exciting in terms of architecture, mainly just big rooms, but you might. Those are good choices. I would not call the Leopold Museum "tiny" by any means, but I certainly wouldn't call the Thyssen in Madrid remotely tiny, either. I'd call it medium sized. It takes up a whole block, if I recall, and the building is several floors. I think the Mumok has an emphasis on things you have to make sure are your main interests (pop art and some other things). I've been in tiny museums, and those aren't it. The Picasso in Barcelona is fairly small, for example.
Old Oct 18th, 2013, 04:06 PM
kja

If you have any interest in Klimt, the Secession is well worth seeing.
http://www.secession.at/e.html

Likewise, you might want to at least step into the Kunsthistorisches Museum for the Klimt stairway. And maybe more -- it has an astounding collection, even if much of it is not within your preferred realm.

Enjoy!
Old Oct 18th, 2013, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Michael, i've been a Hundertwasser for so long that i'm not missing this one!

Christina, i agree that Thyssen is not tiny, but it's way smaller than huge europpean museums such as Prado or Louvre, for example. but the thing is that im afraid that vienna museums are as big as those. this is a big concern for me, since i dont have a whole day to spare (its not a waste of time but) at one museum or two only.

Kja, thanks for your sugestion, ill consider this one also!
Old Oct 18th, 2013, 05:16 PM
kja

Given that time is apparently critical ... the Secession need not take very long, as the main attraction will likely be Klimt's "Beethoven Frieze." (But OMG, that is breathtaking and well worth savoring!) The Kunsthistorisches Museum is one of those places that IMHO could take days to see, but you can be selective and just see the parts of greatest interest to you. The Belvedere is in between -- but it will take longer to get there. You might explore options for making it either the first or last stop of your day, so that at least one leg of transportation doesn't cut into your limited time for open hours.