Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Good times in France? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/good-times-in-france-85816/)

Krissy Smith Sep 8th, 2000 03:57 AM

Good times in France?

Help! I'm leaving on a backpacking trip through Europe next week, and I need some more ideas on where to travel in France. I'm planning on going to Paris and Nice for sure, but I'd like to know about a couple more destinations in S. France (I'll be spending most of my time in Italy and Spain). I'd prefer to visit places off the tourist path -anyone know of any nice towns worth stopping in?

Paige Sep 8th, 2000 04:08 AM

Never been there, but I had a friend who used to live in Montpelier and loved it.

Kristin Sep 8th, 2000 04:47 AM

I don't know what your interests are, but you could consider Antibes (near Nice) for SANDY beaches, and Arles and Avignon in Provence for historical sights (especially Roman stuff in Arles). You really can't go wrong in France IMHO. I didn't get there, but out of Nice there are a couple of hill towns -- Eze and Vence and St. Paul de Vence (I think this is right!) which looked interesting. <BR>

Kim Sep 8th, 2000 08:44 AM

I agree with Provence-- I lived in Avignon for a summer in college and absolutely loved it. It is picked this year as one of the 9 cultural cities of the millenium and should have some extra events going on. Arles is great for the Roman ruins and Van Gogh. Also try to see Les Baux, the Pont du Gard, Aix en Provence (Cezanne's studio is there), Vaison la Romaine, Cassis, I could go on. The Provencal people are very friendly and I love their culture. Have a great trip!! <BR> <BR>Kim

Sandi Sep 8th, 2000 09:11 AM

Krissy, <BR> <BR>If you are going to be in Nice, I think a short visit to Monte Carlo would be worth your while. Not for the gambling, unless you would enjoy that, but it is a really pretty place, especially at night. The Prince's palace is an interesting building. Not what I envisioned for a rich prince's palace. I can second the recommendation for St. Paul De Vence also. If you like perfume, you might consider visiting Grasse to tour a perfume factory. <BR> <BR>Have a great trip whatever you may choose to do. <BR> <BR>Sandi <BR>

Sandi Sep 8th, 2000 09:16 AM

Krissy, one more thing. If you would have a chance to visit the Mont St. Michel, it was a favorite place of mine in France. It is beautiful (again, especially at night). I recently read on the Travel Channel website that it was #3 on their top ten list of castles in the world. I didn't really think of it as a "castle" when I was there, but I guess the shape and architecture of it would remind you of a castle. <BR> <BR>Sandi <BR>

Patrick Sep 8th, 2000 09:16 AM

Aix-in-provence is wonderful (as is all of Provence), but especially lively. We just spent four nights in Montpellier and it is indeed a remarkable city, and with several universities, filled with young people and activities. That town was just amazing -great architecture, both old and very new, the neatest tram system I have ever seen, an incredible job of diverting nearly all car traffic around or under the city, and miles of beautifully paved pedestrian only zones. Great arts and restaurants. The only thing it seemed to lack was tons of tourists (thankfully).

Caroline Sep 13th, 2000 01:26 AM

Dear Krissy <BR>If you are backpacking, you might prefer cities. You could go to toulouse. It is a lively city : there are many students (2nd behind Paris !), a youth hostel. A few day trips are organised : to go skiing, walking, visiting. You also can go to Auch (1 hour train from Toulouse), you can rent a bike in toulouse to bike along the canal du MIdi, this is very pleasant (www.revmoto.com). <BR>Montpellier is a nice city, there are some students because of the sea. <BR>You also can visit Carcassonne, medieval city. <BR>have a nice trip <BR>