Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Good Summer Non Stop Airfares to Paris and how purchase.

Old Feb 10th, 2012, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing I do enjoy is finding bargain airfares to Europe.There really have been a lot of great ones over the past two years.
Here are two current examples of good advance summer fares on XL Airlines.
NY-Paris rt total with all taxes and fees. $695.25 June3rd-June11th XL airlines listed on Vayama
Las Vegas -Paris $833.25rt total with all taxes and fees.May 31st-June 7th XL Airlines listed on Vayama
It's normally hard to find good rates so early in the year for summer. These flights are on the French Airline XL.They offer non-stop flights from New York and Las Vegas to Paris. It's a little hard to book as of now.One can either use the French language site of XL or book with a Travel agent site.I go to the French XL site to find the fares,then type in the dates on Momondo.From there Momondo will send you to OTA sites like Vayama and others to purchase your tickets. The English version of XL site is not capable of booking the seats yet.. people had a hard time using the site last year too thats why I listed the third pary Travel Agent sites.
Old Feb 10th, 2012, 03:36 PM

Wow. Those are half what most tickets have been going for over the past year or so!
Old Feb 10th, 2012, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

There have been a lot of great sales too over the the past few years.Iceland Express was pretty consistent and cheap often offering fares under $500rt with everything.But they are no longer flying to the US after their bankruptcy. And Iberia and others had their famous $251.00rt and $299.00rt sale.Those great sales normally are gone quick though and are really for more flexible date travelers.

This sale is interesting because it's for summer,non stop and
in advance.Last year because it was a little difficult for Americans to book the prices were pretty good all summer.
Old Feb 11th, 2012, 02:48 PM

Those are good rates, but from what I've heard, the experience is not the same as other airlines (very small seats, entertainment system not so hot), of course. And they don't have a lot of planes or routes, so if there are any problems, you could be stuck for a long time (and that ticket is completely nonrefundable). But if you just want a cheap fare, it is very tempting.
Old Feb 11th, 2012, 08:49 PM
Original Poster

I forgot to mention they are also flying out of San Francisco this summer non stop to Paris

Sample fare :June 2 to June 11th rt with everything $813rt total.That was on flights24.com.I also saw the flight on Vayama for $833rt total.

As for it being cramped ,thats part probably is true ,but it is non stop and many people need bargain fares in order to travel.I know I do.And if its saves $600 a ticket for people in summer, that adds up quick, especially for a family.It can be the difference in going or not going.
Old Feb 11th, 2012, 09:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
This sounds like a nighmare to me. We've been flying to Paris from Chicago for many years now and have learned that you get what you pay for. Last year we took a flight on American because it was hundreds of $ less.

We thought we were in a time warp. A few drop-down TV's in the middle rows with 1 movie!!! We were used to individual seat TV screens with many (up to 138 movies on Continental) also a remote for games and many TV shows. Talk about killing time, I read 200 pages of a book. Never again. On the long haul flights, pay a few $ more. It's worth it.

As far as it being the factor for a family? Would you want to be on a long flight with bored kids? Not me! We experienced this on an Alitalia flight with kids running up & down the aisle. The stew came and told the family that they had to contain their kids as they"the stews" needed their rest--and never showed up for 4 more hours!

We always fly coach, can't afford business or 1st class, but there is a limit to what we will endure.
Old Feb 11th, 2012, 09:40 PM
Original Poster

I know airfares are a big factor for me.I try to take several tripa a year when i can get bargain fares.And I have enjoyed myself on budget airlines too like Easyjet, Iceland Express, Wizz Air etc.

I even enjoyed my recent trips on American Airlines. I honestly find most kids on flights to be pretty good.And I fly out of Orlando a lot.Most parents know to pack some games and books for their kids.

To me waiting at an airport and transfers are a lot more hassle than a budget non stop flight.
Old Feb 11th, 2012, 11:08 PM

TPAYT...I know that Cunard used to advertise that "getting there is half the fun," but you can't really expect that in flight. Only one movie on a 6-hour flight? There are towns that get less than that...you saved hundreds of dollars on that flight...more than enough to buy a portable DVD player if you really find reading your book so terrible. Wait...you had only one book with you?
Old Feb 12th, 2012, 01:45 AM

XL Airways Passenger Reviews and XL Airways Customer opinions about XL Airways product and XL Airways service standards.
www.airlinequality.com/Forum/excel.htm Ratings reviews here not too good to be charitable.

aa.com great deal for us this year. Got their Citi AAdvantage Card 40000 mile bonus each for 80000 FF miles. 20000 points
each way so we are booked for $50 cost/tax each way on aa.com this year. Due to being chapter 11 probably.cheapoair.com kayak.com/buzz airtch.com airtransat,com. Some decent deals Tues said to be best day other tips on farecompare.com.
Old Feb 12th, 2012, 05:15 AM

We just booked nonstop flights from Washington Dulles to Paris for $797 roundtrip on Continental (Air France had the same fare). This was for the latter half of May, so not exactly "summer" -- but still, we were pleased.
Old Feb 12th, 2012, 07:15 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
PHeymont---------Sorry if I worded it wrong. I didn't mean never again about reading. I enjoy reading and it saved the experience. What I meant was never again on an old, old plane like that American flight. I had 3 books with me. It's an 8 hr. flight, and we've flown enough international flights to know the difference. Unfortunately, we didn't check on the type of plane ahead of time. We were swayed by the price. Our mistake.

I'm just saying---be aware of what you are getting for your money.

As the mom keeps saying in the movie "Midnight in Paris"----"Cheap is cheap."
Old Feb 12th, 2012, 07:16 AM

This is the year we will build up miles and points. When we saw RT to South Africa through Delta for less than what we spent for Europe last Sept, we went for it. I have been getting some nice flight and hotel "quick trip" emails from AA, but we are committed to Africa this year. We did a nice package to Paris and Amsterdam in 2010, but we really prefer long form trips like last year's Italy/Prague trip.
Old Feb 12th, 2012, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Of course miles are a good way too.The BA Chase offer,that they had the last few years was a hard deal to beat.
100,000 BA miles that one could use on AA too.I am amazed that AA offers those special 25000 one way miles to Japan.A great deal.

As a general rule though getting a great fare during June,July,or August to Europe is more difficult as well as redeeming award trips.

When Iceland Express offered those consistent low fares for the previous two summers (under $500rt) I know several people that went that wouldn't of gone otherwise.I for one was glad I took those flights.It was nice to see people actually excited about traveling.
Old Apr 8th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Here is a great price that Airfarewatchdog listed today.Sale fares under $700.00rt total for June ,July, August Newark NJ-Dusseldorf, Germany on Delta and United. I saw $661.40 total in June on United for several dates.Dont delay if you want to go to Europe this summer.With oil prices high,Germany's departure tax, and summer being high season ,these prices are hard to beat
Old Apr 8th, 2012, 01:43 PM

travelrob--DH has to go to Germany for work so I had hoped to score one of those cheaper tickets for him. Nope, lol. But hopefully others can take advantage of it!
Old Apr 8th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

http://www.airfarewatchdog.com/cheap...fare_id=707886

Here is some details of the sale.I noticed even cheaper fares than Airfare talks about. I doubt after Easter is over and people get back to work,this sale will last.Orbitz Flex search is good for searching but one can also plug in dates on United and Delta. Sometimes the fares are different
Old Apr 8th, 2012, 04:34 PM

I would never pay more for "seat back entertainment" , have we all gotten so spoiled. It was the norm to have the drop down tv monitor and one or two movies not too long ago. Most flights to Europe from where I live ( western Canada) are night flights anyways so one sleeps on the plane.. perhaps its different if your flight is a daytime one of only 6-8 hours.
"Cheap is cheap" is a horrible saying. "a penny saved is a penny earned" is a better one,, rather spend an extra 2 or 3 hundred on a special dinner out in Paris or daytrip ,, or better yet, another night or two in a hotel . Its funny when some people say they can't "afford" to go away for more then a week,, my thoughts are you can make choices in life that mean you CAN afford alot more fun if you try.
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 02:47 AM
ira

>Talk about killing time, I read 200 pages of a book.<

OMG. How revoltingly archaic.
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 03:24 AM
Original Poster

I checked again this morning and the fares Newark-Dusseldorf rt are still there for under $670 total for some dates.Those fares are still for June ,July August.Buy before they sell out today or get taken down

As for justineparis and ira's comments. I do think that there are still people out there that are happy to travel cheaply and
can get by without some video features on a plane.And a plane trip is a great place to read about the trip ahead.
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 04:29 AM
Original Poster

Airfarewatchdog did point out that there is also a Newark -Berlinrt Fare for $628 for summer.That might be the cheapest to Europe all summer. http://t.co/Xrqfqum8

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -