good restaurants in the Vatican area?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2005, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could anyone recommend some good restaurants around the Vatican/St Peters area? My budget is around 10 euros per person for lunch and 20 euros for dinner. Thanks!
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 07:15 AM

I can't think of any great restaurants right around the Vatican, although others more familiar with the area may respond. We usually do a short walk over to Trastevere. There are great restaurants, most are reasonably priced, and its not too far of a walk from the Vatican area.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 08:23 AM

I don't think you could get lunch for 10 euros even at one of the many BAD restaurants around the Vatican - and there are loads. For 10 euros, I'd just pick up a panino and a drink and have a little picninc.

For dinner I'd stay away from the Vatican area as well, as in my experience it's not a particularly good restaurant area.

I'm sure others can steer you to some other areas where you can find good food for your budget.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 08:39 AM

We stayed close to the Vatican and found several good and reasonably priced restaurants between the Vatican and the Ottavanio subway stop. There are a couple pizza places with excellent appetizers and pizzas. We ate at 3 different restaurants that were all fine and seemed to be frequented by some Vatican personnel. One restaurant was the Caravelle (the "ship&quot and it had great seafood - another place was something like La Hosteria or Osteria or something and had a nice selection of pastas.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 09:07 AM

I agree that you will have some difficulty finding lunch for 10 Euro anywhere in Rome unless it's a sandwich or slice of pizza and a drink. One of my favorite spots for either lunch or dinner is Dar Pallaro but it's near Camp di Fiori. They do have set menu for 20 Euro and the food is abundant and delicious. Near the Vatican, I believe there is an Insalata Ricca, which is a chain with outlets all over Rome, serving salads, sandwiches and light meals and very reasonably priced. I think the Vatican one is near Piazza Risorgimento. There is also Castroni on Via Cola di Rienzo which is a specialty food shop and deli. For dinner try Dante Taberna Gracchi on Via di Gracchi.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 04:32 PM

Head to La Rustichella about two blocks from the Vatican. Have eaten there three times and it is worth the trip. Two may just be able to meet there for lunch (buffet) for just under 20E. Si mangia bene. Listed in Rick Steves I believe.

Casale-Villa with no bidet
http://www.angelfire.com/film/casale