Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Good restaurants around rue Lepic Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/good-restaurants-around-rue-lepic-paris-514644/)

jpie Mar 21st, 2005 04:31 PM

Good restaurants around rue Lepic Paris

I posted earlier about a specific restaurant but,alas, got no responses, so thought I would try a more general question...we are considering a morning walking tour of Montmartre next month. We want to meet friends after for lunch. Does anybody have good restaurant suggestions on rue Lepic or even the general Montmartre area. My experience has always been "touristy" bad at the Place itself, so I hoping somebody might have first hand experience of something good in the neighborhood. Doesn't have to haute cuisine, just good food :)

Budman Mar 21st, 2005 04:58 PM

I don't know if they are open for lunch, but Le Restaurant off of Rue Veron was wonderful.

There are lots of places around rue Lepic and rue des Abbesses. For lunch, just look and chose. ((b))

elle Mar 21st, 2005 06:26 PM

A few you might try:

Le Bouclard, 1 rue Cavallotti, typical bistro
L'Etrier, 154 rue Lamarck, also bistro
Le Cottage Marcadet, 151 bis rue Marcadet, classic French
The restaurant at Hotel Terrass on rue Joseph de Maistre (more for the view than the food)
Le Restaurant, 32 rue Veron, bistro
L'Entracte, 44 rue d'Orsel
Au Rendezvous des Chauffers, 11 rue des Portes Blanches, inexpensive traditional.

For something more elaborate, try Beauvilliers, 52 rue Lamarck.

Not in Montmartre, but within a quick walk, just over the border of the 17th, off Place Clichy on rue des Dames is Bistrot des Dames.

Note: I haven't eaten at most of these restaurants--I'm just doing research as we're staying in Montmartre in June. But both Beauvilliers and Bistrot des Dames came highly recommended by friends.

hanl Mar 21st, 2005 10:15 PM

I used to live 2 minutes from there and would go out to eat at least once a week. I haven't been back to Paris in a while, so perhaps things have changed since then but, for what it's worth, here are my recommendations.

There's a great creperie on rue Lepic as it curves round level with rue des Abbesses. Excellent food, great value and their caramel pear crepe is outstanding!

Another tried and tested place is La Queue du Chat at the top of rue Tholozé, which I've found to be consistently good. Nice atmosphere and very tasty food. Last time I was there I had tender scallops followed by grilled red mullet.

My absolute favourite is Chez Toinette on rue Germain Pilon. It's a small place run by two friends, serving fantastic, unpretentious Provençal style food (on various occasions we've had partridge, seabass, pigeon, grilled sardines...). The food is always fresh and the menu changes daily. The winelist is short but extremely well chosen.

Le Soleil Gourmand on rue Ravignan is a more informal lunch place, with lovely salad plates, stuffed savoury pastries and quiches. The décor is beautiful, and everything is for sale (knives, forks, tables...!!)

Incidentally, if you can understand French then you might want to take a look at www.cityvox.com and do a search for restaurants in Montmartre. It's quite a good resource for restaurant and café reviews from local residents.

jpie Mar 22nd, 2005 04:28 PM

Thanks guys, I knew I could count on you!

Hanl, in my earleir post I asked about the Moulin de La Galette on rue Lepic. Did you try it when you lived in the neighborhood?? Also, thanks for the cityvox reminder. I do speak/read French, and even subscribe to their newsletter. Don't know why I didn't think of them. I have usually used Paris Capitale, but now they charge....so I haven't used them lately

hanl Mar 22nd, 2005 09:49 PM

Hi jpie
I have never eaten at the Moulin de la Galette I'm afraid (in fact I didn't know you could!!!)
One place we did go to a lot was the wine bar at no. 43 rue des Abbesses (called la Cave des Abbesses - my BF used to live next door so we were regular patrons) - there's a shop at the front and then you go through a doorway and there's a small bar at the back where you can taste various wines by the glass (or bottle). They do great plates of charcuterie, cheese, paté, grilled vegetables, etc. to accompany the wine. In nice weather there are also a couple of tables on the pavement.

katrine Mar 23rd, 2005 12:03 AM

Hi, two years ago I had dinner at a restaurant called moulin de la galette in rue lepic. it appeared to be very new, and the clientelle was quite young and hip. the food was delicious, great servive - we really loved this restaurant.

jpie Mar 23rd, 2005 07:56 AM

Thanks again! Yes I should have clarified that it is the restaurant called le moulin de la galette. It is nice to know that somebody has tried it. But now of course, I have all these good choices!! I tell you, there is never enough time to eat in Paris and I live there part time :)