Day trip to Pompeii from Rome: Doable?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2012, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How challenging is it to pull off a day trip to Pompeii from Rome? I see a couple of tours that offer a 14 hour day for EUR 100+, but they run you through cameo factories and other things I don't want to see. This'll be off-season, in late November. Would appreciate any "how-to" suggestions.
Old May 19th, 2012, 05:11 PM

There is no reaon to take a bus tour with a stop for shopping that no one really wants. You can easily get there yourself by train. However, in November the days will end early - and I'm not sure how many hours Pompeii is open.

Firtst, I would check the web site to see how many hours the site is open - then check the train schedule. That will let you travel to fit your needs - and you can easily pick up either an audio guide or a private guide once you reach Pompeii.
Old May 19th, 2012, 05:32 PM

Here's a link to a post in a recent trip report that describes in detail a family's daytrip from Rome to Pompeii and Naples. It seems to have worked out well for them.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...omment-7561271
Old May 19th, 2012, 06:15 PM

Its very easy to take the train from Rome to Pompeii-go for it and save yourself some money and cameos you don't want!
Old May 27th, 2012, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the encouragement to avoid a tour; I really don't need any cameos! The train from Rome/Naples/Pompeii looks easy. The family in the link provided took a bus from Rome, so I'll check that, also. (A quick look didn't allow me to choose English information, but I'm sure I just have to dig deeper.) Timewise, bus is probably about the same as you don't have to wait to change trains in Naples.

Good suggestion, nytraveler, about checking the hours of operation in November (8:30am-5pm).
Old May 27th, 2012, 11:51 AM

Glad to see you're now thinking to "DIY". This older thread has a lot of good info, keeping in mind some of the specifics might be outdated. (I know, for example, I provided a link to a thread with details on Naples train station; the OP has recently added to the thread with updated information.)

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...n-december.cfm