Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Good places to eat in Paris for under 200FFr per person?

Jul 12th, 2001, 04:18 AM
Mel Roberts

Hi,

I would like receommendations please for somewhere nice to eat when I go to Paris with my girlfriend next week. We're rather squeamish types so snails, lobster and other insects are definitely off the menu! And under 200FFr per person would be good.
I've had a look at the Rants and Raves section but there are so many conflicting reports it's sometimes difficult to get an idea of a place (one report for a 80FFr -150 FFr establishment said that it was very expensive?!)

Merci beaucoup.

Jul 12th, 2001, 05:15 AM
Bob Brown

Snails are insects?
News to me.
Sandra Gustaffson's book Cheap Eats in Paris is your best answer.
I like Bistro de la Gare near the intersection of Rue de Rennes and Blvd Montparnasse. Decent food in your price range, assuming you don't drink the wine cellar dry. I has a non smoking section as well as outside seating, if that is a factor.

Jul 12th, 2001, 06:35 AM
phil

You might want to go onto the Zagats website and go to the Paris section. In case you are not familar with Zagats, the reviews are written as a composite of views from real diners and not professionals. About 95% of the reviewers in the Paris edition are locals.
You can sort by neighborhood and food price.

Jul 12th, 2001, 06:40 AM
lisa

Mel -- If you do a search on this forum using the word "Paris" you will find lots of recommendations, including a trip report I wrote in June where I reported in detail on all the restaurants in Paris that I enjoyed (all of which were in your price range). I believe the thread was called "Just back from Paris and Bruges -- trip report." I will try to find it and top it for you.

Jul 12th, 2001, 06:59 AM
Donna

Hi, Mel!
I was in Paris about a month ago (my first time) and it is very easy to find very reasonably priced, very good places to eat. We found lots of places under the 200F budget you've set for yourself. Lunches are very easy. We would go to a deli and have sandwiches made up for a picnic. If you like Chinese food, there is a very inexpensive place called New Asia located on Rue Cler in the 7th arr. I don't recall the exact address, but Rue Cler is a small street and it's very easy to find. The Asian food in Paris is delicious and quite a bargain. We stumbled on this place on a Sunday when we discovered, much to our dismay, that many places are closed. We were starving at this point and found the food to be great. Three of us ate for less than $20 total, and that included going back for seconds (as I said, we were starving!). There are a lot of places in the Latin Quarter that will fit very nicely in your budget, too. Although we tended to splurge a bit more on our evening meals, the most we ever spent was about 175-180F per person, and that included a bottle of wine. One place you may also want to try for a wonderful French meal is Bistrot de Montpensier located at 31 rue de Montpensier, 75001 Paris, ph: 33-1-40-20-03-02. This restaurant is located near the Louvre and can be somewhat challenging to locate, but please do try. It is worth it! The meals are prepared by the owner, Victor Orsenne. His menu changes daily and is posted outside. You will find both the food and M. Orsenne truly delightful. Good luck to you! Have fun and let us know how everything went. If you would like more info on places to eat, fee free to e-mail me directly.

Jul 13th, 2001, 09:23 AM
Mimi

Look at a copy of Patricia Well's book on eating in Paris. Everywhere she sent us was very good. We liked the bistro Astier(near the Republic) and Chamleon(off of Blvd. Montparnasse) very much. She also describes the markets, the food shops, and the best places to eat chocolates and baked goods. We also have used Gault Millau's book on Paris and found very good suggestions.

Jul 13th, 2001, 01:45 PM
lisa

Mel -- Here are my recs:

Dinner: Le Bistrot de Breteuil, in the 7th arrondisement, 3 place de Breteuil (metro stop: Duroc/Sèvres-Lecourbe), phone 01 45 67 07 27, reservations strongly recommended
(request a table outdoors on their terrace). This place is not adjacent to any major tourist sites but is not too far from Les Invalides and is worth seeking out for its lively atmosphere, good food, and
great value -- the prix fixe menu is 189 FF (about $25) per person INCLUDING a kir royale aperitif, a half-bottle of wine, your choice of appetizer, main course, and dessert and coffee. The mixed green
salad with crayfish tails is very good and I can highly recommend the lamb or the bass for the main course. For dessert I had some fantastic chocolate cake-and-pastry layered concoction that was
delicious. Ask the waiter what he recommends and you can't go wrong.

Lunch: L'Epi Dupin, 11 rue Dupin (metro: Sèvres-Babylone), in the 6th arrondisement near the Bon Marche department store, 01 42 22 64 56, open M-F only, sidewalk terrace
at lunch. This is another very popular place and reservations are recommended because it is quite small and there are not very many tables, but if you get there early or late you don't need a
reservation. On the day I was there they had a fixed-price menu for lunch that was 110FF (about $15) for two courses (either appetizer and main course, or main course and dessert) including a glass
of wine. Mackerel is one of the chef's specialties and it is excellent. They also serve a wonderful chocolate cake with warm fudge sauce inside.

Other places I enjoyed: La Fontaine de Mars 129 rue St-Dominique, 7th arrondisement not far from the Eiffel Tower (metro: Ecole Militaire), open every day noon-3 & 7:30-11 (reserve a table on their
terrace), 90F 2-course lunch menu or a la carte which is quite a bit pricier (the duck breast is great). You can see their menu on-line at http://www.parisavenue.com/la-fontaine-de-mars

Chantairelle, 17 rue Laplace (metro: Maubert-Mutualité), 5th arrondisement, 01 46 33 18 59, a block away from the Pantheon on a tiny sidestreet, reservations recommended (request a table
outdoors). You can see their menu of regional specialties & reserve online at www.chantairelle.com, closed Saturday lunch & Sunday (highly recommend the filet de dore for the main course and the
blueberry tart for dessert, do not recommend the oversalted & oily escargots appetizer). Very reasonable prices, casual & quirky atmosphere, pretty courtyard in the back with ivy-covered walls.

Chez Maitre Paul, 12 rue Monsieur-le-Prince, 6th arrondisement (metro: Odéon/Luxembourg) 01 43 54 74 59 (reservations strongly recommended). Open daily 12-2:30&7:30-10:30, except closed
Sun., & Mon. in August. Three-course fixed-price menu 165FF, or 195F with a half-bottle of their house red wine (the poulette a la creme gratinee (chicken in a cream-and-cheese sauce with
mushrooms) are delicious, as is the creme brulee. No outdoor dining. You can see their menu at
http://www.parisavenue.com/scripts/s...,&ver=hb1.2.13

Aux Charpentiers, 10 rue Mabillon, (Mabillon/St. Germain), in the 6th, open 12-3 & 7:30-11:30 daily, small sidewalk terrace, especially good to know about for Sunday lunch and dinner (I enjoyed a late
Sunday lunch of roasted duck in olive sauce with fried potatoes and the house white wine).

Jul 13th, 2001, 01:51 PM
DOnna

We just returned from Paris and had no problem finding meals for under 200 ff.

As you are walking during the day look at menus as you pass by restaurants. If you like what you see make a reservation for the evening.

Many have 3 course menus for a set price (as opposed to a la carte) all those that I saw were under 200 ff.

I am also squeamish and had no problem finding enough to eat.

Enjoy.