Good place to stay in Aix-en-Provence

Old Feb 28th, 2000, 11:06 AM
Ashley

Good place to stay in Aix-en-Provence

My friend and I will be in France in April/May for two weeks spending 4 nights, 3 days in Aix-en-Provence. Although we currently have a reservation at the Hotel Le Pigonnet and it looks beautiful, we were hoping to find a nice less pricey hotel or a quaint comfortable B&B. We are looking for a private bath, comfortable double bed and friendly staff that can direct us to local sites. We would prefer to be within walking distance of shops and restaurants, rather than the edge of town. Can anyone offer any suggestions?? Thanks!

Old Feb 28th, 2000, 03:32 PM
Ellen

I was very, very happy with my stay at the Mercure Paul Cezanne. It is very close to the train station, tourist office and all you'll want to see in Aix. You can try to call them at 1-800-NOVOTEL because it is the same chain. Mercure has nicer decoration. The room I had was with two double beds, nicely furnished and private bath. I think it was about $80 a night without breakfast. Lots of cafes around to catch something to eat.
I found it originally on www.hotelweb.com but called the toll free chain to reserve.

Ellen

Old Feb 29th, 2000, 12:58 PM
anne

Highly recommend Hotel des Quatre Dauphins. $69 double Jan. 1999 for a charming room, beautifully decorated, spacious bathroom. The hotel is lovely throughout - even the stairway landings! Great location too - walking distance to the wonderful squares in the center of town, and steps from one of Aix' most beautiful fountains, it's namesake, the Quatre Dauphin.

Old Mar 2nd, 2000, 01:06 PM
Ashley

Thanks for the suggestions. Anne, do you have a web site or a phone # for the Quatre Dauphins? I could not find them on the Internet.
Ellen, I appreciate the Mercure recommendation and I tried, but they are booked up.
Has anyone stayed at the Negre-Coste? Know their web site address? I'd appreciate your comments...We can get a suite there for cheaper than the Hotel Le Pigonnet standard room!
Thanks!

Old Mar 3rd, 2000, 10:18 AM
anne

Took me a while to find it, Ashley. Phone 011 33 4 42 38 16 39
Fax 011 33 4 42 38 60 19

Old Mar 3rd, 2000, 12:18 PM
Carol

Hi Ashley,

My mom and I stayed at the Negre-Coste a couple of years ago. I'd definitely recommend it. It's an older hotel right on the main street. We had a fairly large double on the second floor in the front and I can testify that the double-hung windows kept out the street sounds at night. It's not in the same class as the Pigonnet, but the location was outstanding--we could walk to dozens of restaurants, to the wonderful outdoor markets, etc. , and there's a tiny patisserie right around the corner that makes the best mille-feuilles I ever tasted. I don't know if they have a website, but they do have a fax. You might find them on the Frommer's site. Let me know if you're having trouble and I'll look through my stuff at home this weekend.

I think the hotel's a terrific deal for the price.